aberdeen-music

Tsunami/Band Aid Show - Urgent

jester1470

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what happened with the music hall gig last night?

Oh my. It was a bit' date=' urm... rubbish. I hadn't seen The Simon Gall band in yonks, so I thought that, and for a good cause, kill 2 birds with one stone.

One of the security guys wasn't letting any balcony people downstairs even though it was cleary like 1/3 full at the most. So my mum and I, total bad-asses, sneaked in when he went for a drink. The same security guy said there'd be 900 people there (ie. a sell-out), hahahaha.

ANYWAYS. Gerry Jablonski did his usual thing. Or did he? A few songs on acoustic guitar. The Miserable Sinners did a good job... Nick from the Hex Pens, wtf? I had no idea. There is however only so many well-known covers I can take. But Nick put in some sexy guitar solos.

Simon Gall... what's happened my friend? I think due to the fact they played [i']far too long (seemed like 45 / 50 minutes) a lot of people seemed to disappear. I love the music, but I think considering the setting, something a lot more lively would have been appropriate. Philip, I was looking for you. Cleary not in the band, hehe! :dunce:

...something more lively like The Rocketeers! Good ol' 50s rock'n'roll. Exciting, lively, passionate performance. Hot guitars a-plenty. Thank the Lord.

But then it was time to go. So The Entertainers... who knows? And I don't think The Billy Shears band played. The main guy (I think) played a few Beatles classics himself earlier in the night. If someone knows different, do tell.

It was however good to see a lot of different cultures showing up. It was done by the Aberdeen - Sri Lanka Link, so there were many of them there, having a lot more fun than I was.

I am begging that tonight is worth going to.

Guest Zeenat Aman

Simon Gall... what's happened my friend? I think due to the fact they played far too long (seemed like 45 / 50 minutes) a lot of people seemed to disappear. I love the music' date=' but I think considering the setting, something a lot more lively would have been appropriate. Philip, I was looking for you. Cleary not in the band, hehe! :dunce:

[/quote']

Yeah, I left a few months back.

Obviously the night would have been ACE had I been playing! :D

Baby Karma were decent, the set was flawless, but without spark. I noticed that Emma's voice was a bit too weak for the style they were going for.

Didn't think much of Mind Gone Blind, are they a pub rock band?

The X-Certs were band of the night, they're also the best band in this city, although that counts for shit.

I wont comment on Stayover as I'm bias.

Onion Terror were rubbish. Probably worse than the last time I saw them years ago. I was really hoping I'd like them, just for the fact that Coutts is a totally sound guy!

Atom were Atom, good covers, sounded mighty, but just not my thing, they're a fucking ace band though.

Glad the night was a success! Good job people!

A great ngiht, thanks for everyone that came along, and thanks to all the bands who copntributed it was all much appreciated, for a gig that was nearly pulled it was a great turn out.

Hmmm lets see:

Baby Karma, OK I'm bias, but for a band who until today had only actually all been in the room together once, I thought were spot on, tighter than a lot of bands I've seen who have been together a lot longer, Emma's vocals weren't weak just quiet I'd say, tho they oopened it well and got the crowd going

Mind Gone Blind, very much stepped in to help us last minute and I really enjoyed their set, it was fun and the singer has a great voice,

The X-certs, I know they were very popular but they didn't do much for me musically

Stayover, as always a lot of fun, high energy and worth it just for 'Girls just wanna have fun'.

Onion Terror, I really enjoyed just because it was so much fun, lots of silly stuff, really embraced what we were trying to achieve

Black Atom, again really got into it, played a great set and much better than when i'd seen them before, i can understand why so many people voted for them at the Fudge Awards.

Again, thanks to all the bands who turned up, and played and i think we raised a fair bit of money and we gave everyone a good time,

Cheers

Stuart

Guest stuartmaxwell

a good night, good to hear it raised much needed cash for the unfortunate people who lived in the wrong place at the wrong time

missed baby karma

mind gone blind were good at what they did, it just happened to be that what they do is turgid, boring pub rock. the first cover was good, murdered pink flyod though

x-certs were ace, 10 times better than the last time i seen em, tight, fat and some great songs

stayover were stayover, not my thing but the crowd lapped it up, i hate that sluts song. and milner was right, it does stick in your head. argh

onion terror were hilarious, worth it alone for the beastie boys effort!!

black atom were very entertaining, but they didnt play breadcrumb trail.