aberdeen-music

Logistics of moving to a new city - advice?

KarmaTsunami

So, my girlfriend and I are looking at moving away from Aberdeen next year once she's finished her degree. She's concerned about the logistics of it, things like timing the move with our lease ending and getting new jobs. Obviously, the majority of this is down to us applying for jobs, figuring out commute times, working stuff out with our landlord etc. as well as talking to our vet and figuring out the best way to move a cat without stressing it.

I know quite a lot of people here have relocated in other cities/Poland. What advice would you give? 

Yep, would totally depend on where you're moving to. General advice from me is to weigh up how strongly you want to live there versus how uncomfortable you would be without work. Meaning, if you're stuck in that catch 22 where you try and try to get a job in the place you want to live but can't because you don't live there, think about dipping into your savings (or saving up) enough to be able to live without work for at least 3 months and just go. If you're 100% into it you'll do everything you can to extend those 3 months.

That's if you're in that stage of life where you can just up sticks and fuck off without much repercussions (i.e. you have a job you don't really care about and don't have many ties) - which is when i've moved previously.

If you're staying in Scotland, it's much much easier obviously - you don't need to fanny about with banks and administrative stuff.

I found it very hard to get a job before moving so I just took the plunge. It's amazing how resourceful you are when you have no choice.

• Upvote 1

That's if you're in that stage of life where you can just up sticks and fuck off without much repercussions (i.e. you have a job you don't really care about and don't have many ties) - which is when i've moved previously.

I found it very hard to get a job before moving so I just took the plunge. It's amazing how resourceful you are when you have no choice.

I pretty much did this. I picked a date for moving and said I was sticking to it no matter what. Gave two months notice on my job and my place and everything just sort of fell into place after that. I did it the irresponsible way though, I turned up without a job to go to and only a temporary place to stay. I got pretty lucky in that I got both sorted out quickly, although it took me two years to find a job that's even halfway as good as the one I left. So that's worth considering.

I found a big downsize helped as well, I gave away, donated or sold all non essential stuff and moved to Poland in one load of a Ford Ka. It made moving much simpler and also raised some extra funds. I was looking for a complete new start though so binning all the crap I'd accumulated was sort of therapeutic in a fabulous Carrie Bradshaw independent woman kind of way  :laughing:

None of that was particularly useful advice, sorry. I would say pick a date and stick to it though. If you try to have everything organised (jobs, house etc) before you go, you'll never go, there has to be a certain degree of blind faith. Make sure you have enough money put aside for a few months rent and living expenses in case you don't find a job you like straight away. I jumped into the first job I was offered and it was shit, but if I'd held out for the right job I would have been holding out for a long long time, so be prepared to take a temporary backwards step work wise.

Where are you thinking of incidentally?

Edited by Lucky Rathen

Just noted the most recent post, so a lot of the otherwise advice is moot, but...

I second what Ca_gere said, have some savings and a rough idea, and something (like, a couch, at least ) to go back to and just try it. (If you're actively in a relationship you'd probably want more than a couch, tbf.). My first attempt to move to Poland failed, and I came back 3 months later with my eyes opened and my wallet a fair bit lighter, no huge deal; slept on my brother's couch for 6 months and tried again, somewhere cheaper. In this case I did a training course and had my first job pretty much handed to me. In each case I only went with a suitcase and the relevant paperwork I'd need.

If it's just the central belt, I'd imagine at least one of you can land a job beforehand, via taking the train/bus to interviews if necessary, thus ensuring survival and a place to live, and then just take from there?

Somewhere else in Scotland. Probably somewhere on the outskirts/a commuter town near Glasgow. Between Stirling and Glasgow, a sort of circumference of that. 

I live in Stirling (I work in Aberdeen and have digs in Cove Mon-Thurs) and it's a cracking place to live with good rail links to Glasgow and Edinburgh, so I can highly recommend it.

I'd also echo Adam EW's sentiment about Falkirk and add Denny, Larkhall, Carluke, East Kilbride etc the the no-no list.

With regards to your original question, I agree with most of what other poster have said.

Do you have the opportunity of a wee reconnaissance trip? - perhaps friends or rels that you could stay with for a few weeks to see how it fits?