aberdeen-music

SATURDAY 12th MARCH - TUNNELS - HOOKERS GREEN NO.1, DEDALUS and COPY_HAHO

dancey macclogs

well if you are putting your looks high up in your list God help you.

A great look is not going to get you anywhere. The ability to play and

sing has to be top of your list and then maybe sometime the look will come.

Well actually you are quite wrong. A great look won't make you a great band but it will get you somewhere. Look at the Bravery, for example, not great band (few good pop songs), but made all the more appealing by their cool image and this has no doubt helped them get the press attention they have received and as a result helped them shift a decent amount of records so far. I'm not saying that this is the reason i like bands to have an image but it's clear that a good image does help your chances in the record industry. And i disagree with Narc in that i don't think that an image need be unique, i just think that there should be some degree of uniformity within the band image or else the looks of the individuals, although different, should add up to create some kind of visual impact and therefore an aura around the band. I doesn't really bother me how Dedalus were dressed on Saturday i just think they looked much better at their EP launch.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lime ruined my life
can someone describe to me EXACTLY what they were wearing so i can comment sensibly on this subject?

ripped blood stained glow in the dark skellington pj's, trucker hats, back packs, handbags, blonde afro wigs and fake tatoos of bodies drawn on with lipstick and mascara on pectoids, and deltoids.

Strange...i normally go to gigs to listen to music...not to look at their clothes....

Image is bollocks....if they want to look scruffy then do you really care?

Im sure it doesnt dilute their music....

And im sure that a record company doesnt say 'well i think they are the best band ever...but im not going to sign them because of their shabby clothes...oh well i'd better look else where now'

Strange...i normally go to gigs to listen to music...not to look at their clothes....

Image is bollocks....if they want to look scruffy then do you really care?

Im sure it doesnt dilute their music....

And im sure that a record company doesnt say 'well i think they are the best band ever...but im not going to sign them because of their shabby clothes...oh well i'd better look else where now'

Record companies, well majors anway, (and probably quite a number of indies) don't care about signing the best band in the world, they care about selling records and image helps them do this. And i already said i just thought they looked much better last time. I'd rather have the look as well as the music rather than just the music.

jesus fucking christ. enough already.

dedalus usually look pretty dapper onstage, that night they decided to be a bit more relaxed with their clothing. give them a break for fucks sake. it was a great gig in a great new venue.

Dedalus are not the strokes, they are not fashion students playing at being musicians. They are a band who love playing their music because it's good music. Not because it gives them a chance to wear snazzy clothes onstage. That's just a bonus.

Guest idol_wild

Dedalus are not the strokes' date=' they are not fashion students playing at being musicians. They are a band who love playing their music because it's good music. Not because it gives them a chance to wear snazzy clothes onstage. That's just a bonus.[/quote']

Word.

What a band actually look like, in my view, should be of no consequence, unless they have major record label aspirations and would like to be dictated to. The power of the actual music and onstage dynamic is distinctly more important. Clothes are simply to cover up our bits. Dedalus played good songs within a strong set.

Additionally, Copy_haho were excellent.

Christ' date=' it's only clothes.

Bob Dylan looked like a tramp, didn't stop him, did it?[/quote']

Since when has having an image or a look entail dressing smartly? Looking like a tramp is a fucking image and an enduring one at that. Your comment only proves the point that image is important. Whether that's the way it should be or not.

jesus fucking christ. enough already.

dedalus usually look pretty dapper onstage' date=' that night they decided to be a bit more relaxed with their clothing. give them a break for fucks sake. it was a great gig in a great new venue.

Dedalus are not the strokes, they are not fashion students playing at being musicians. They are a band who love playing their music because it's good music. Not because it gives them a chance to wear snazzy clothes onstage. That's just a bonus.[/quote']

Hey, i already made it clear that the point i was making was that they looked much better at their EP launch and for me had much more of a visual impact, it was nice to see a local band make the effort. And in making that point i was just backing up Ancient Mariner's point because it might have seemed totally flippant to some. It's only dragging on cos people keep popping and saying words to the effect of: It doesn't matter what they dress like, oh my god you're so shallow, you only care about image not the music.

When this is blantantly untrue.

Guest Ancient Mariner

Is that so? Why do you stand staring at the stage then? Why don't you sit down, look at the floor, close your eyes, or look the other way? I'll tell you why, because the stage and who's on it provide a focal point. A uniformed stage presence, and all the other things that Narc mentioned, enhance the ability of the band to function as a focal point, and increase your capacity for concentrating on the music, rather than supping your beer, smoking and talking to your mates, as most people at local gigs do.

Guest Ancient Mariner

It's necessary to quote myself here:

you looked like you couldn't be arsed' date=' and that affects the crowds willingness to devote their attention to you. To be fair tho, i won't know what the most suitable stagecraft is until we play live[/quote']

You see, i'm trying to help you in getting a more attentive audience.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Is that so? Why do you stand staring at the stage then? Why don't you sit down' date=' look at the floor, close your eyes, or look the other way? I'll tell you why, because the stage and who's on it provide a focal point. A uniformed stage presence, and all the other things that Narc mentioned, enhance the ability of the band to function as a focal point, and increase your capacity for concentrating on the music, rather than supping your beer, smoking and talking to your mates, as most people at local gigs do.[/quote']

he is right yknow

Is that so? Why do you stand staring at the stage then? Why don't you sit down' date=' look at the floor, close your eyes, or look the other way?

[/quote']

Yes i do just go to listen to the music.....i think your missing the whole point that i wont like a band any better just because they have a snazzy suit on.....i do also close my eyes alot....i spent most of the sonic youth gig with my eyes closed because the music was amazing, and it sounds gay but you can feel it alot better if there is no visual distraction (and i couldn't bare to look at kim gordon for 2 hours!)

I'll tell you why' date=' [/quote']

You will tell me why i go to gigs? Fuck i must have lost my right to free action and thinking!!! :D

yes, but clothes do not maketh the band, they merely make a rather dull talking point for people with nothing better to do. now can we please stop talking about our lack of image and move onto something altogether more interesting.

incidentally it's not a cashmere coat, it's 75% wool, 20% polyester and 5% 'other fibres'(bit worried by that). a primark classic.

Guest idol_wild

The gig was good, Dave, yes.

And the reason we look at the stage is to see what the band members are DOING (not wearing). We want to see how they play their instruments, how they move, how they react to the crowd, and how the band members react to eachother.

Their clothes mean fuck all.

A general point - An obvious example here, but does anyone seriously think that a band like The Clash would have been quite the same if they turned up on stage and for promotional shots in any old tshirt and jeans? No. Their aesthethic complemented their music quite superbly. Im NOT suggesting that Dedalus are like the Clash and despite everyone's impressions I like them a lot; but image is important. It can set bands that are very similar musically, apart.

let it go

everyones made good points and no one is denying that a strong image can be a good thing but seriously, lifes too short. we're not going to be on top of the pops next week so let us wear comfy clothes for now and lets all get on with our lives. :)

ps not just directed at narc, but to everyone. smile, walk away and think of something else.