aberdeen-music

moshulu last night

Guest stuartmaxwell

Guest stuartmaxwell

was fucking dire, nobody there either

looks like a club struggling for ideas on a saturday, but putting a nite on cos they reckon that people will flock due to the success of other nites

nobody wants to go to moshulu every nite of the week

it needs a new idea for a saturday, something totally different

:rolleyes:We're still very happy with Air Guitar. Open your ears and you'll see that it's a completely different music policy to every other night. And why on earth would I keep a NIGHTCLUB closed on a Saturday night?

If you've been to Moshulu or a lot of other venues in the past three weeks you'd realise that everyone loses business with the absense of students.

No-one expects you to go to Moshulu every night of the week, especially since you seem to enjoy it so much.

i think moshulu tried to run other nights (correct me if i'm wrong here flik or rob)

Big cheese (cheesy music/mainstream pop night for students.. 3 squid entry and 1 pound drinks)

Roller Disco (ummm... self explainitory!, i have a feeling this DIDNT work out either)

and i think there was another pop night that they trailed but DIDNT work...

so i think they did try something COMPLETELY different, but because of the peception and image everyone has of the friday night your not going to find people that arent into "alternative" music turning upto a "rock club" for a pop night?!

Originally posted by Sean

true, it wasnt busy last night. but enjoyable enough all the same. it was the first time id been in on a saturday. most of the stuff played wasnt my 'bag' so i guess i was just there for the cheap drink and outstanding company.

meep.

yeah i feel the same way

the music for the majority of saturdays isnt really what i usually listen to but i still like that music! and i love the club :)

i was so happy when i worked promoting for them cause i really wanted to do that job. but as usual dave screwed up that dream...

nice to meet you on saturday too sean :) i know im great company especially when i have my switch card :)

Originally posted by rhino

i think moshulu tried to run other nights (correct me if i'm wrong here flik or rob)

Big cheese (cheesy music/mainstream pop night for students.. 3 squid entry and 1 pound drinks)

Roller Disco (ummm... self explainitory!, i have a feeling this DIDNT work out either)

and i think there was another pop night that they trailed but DIDNT work...

so i think they did try something COMPLETELY different, but because of the peception and image everyone has of the friday night your not going to find people that arent into "alternative" music turning upto a "rock club" for a pop night?!

This is exactly why, since Rob and I have been here, we've canned everything that ain't rock. I like the fact that folk can come in any night we're open and have some idea of what to be able to expect, but having a variety at the same time.

We are being careful, however, to make sure each night has it's own identity and music policy. There are threads posted for each night for those in any doubt as to what these identities are.

The idea that we expect Saturdays to run off other nights business is bollocks. 2 of the 4 regular nights in the club are run by external promoters and as such are not really governed by us. We merely put this into consideration when putting on our own gigs. I expect Saturday nights to benefit more than any of the others when the stage goes up and the bands start coming in.

Perhaps Stuart Maxwell would like to share some of his own suggestions in the relevant thread as to what's being done wrong in his point of view in regards to Air Guitar?

Guest mr de-lux

sux

MOSHULU SUX BIG TIME THAT PLACE SUX 24/7 YOU WILL NEVER SEE ME THERE!

IF I WANTED TO HANG OUT WITH KIDS I WOULD STAND OUTSIDE "ELEMENTZ" or what ever its called

Re: sux

Originally posted by mr de-lux

MOSHULU SUX BIG TIME THAT PLACE SUX 24/7 YOU WILL NEVER SEE ME THERE!

IF I WANTED TO HANG OUT WITH KIDS I WOULD STAND OUTSIDE "ELEMENTZ" or what ever its called

Ah Ha, another well thought out and carefully considered reply, obviously based on personal experience and with the benefit of Age.

These are the sort of helpful comments we can use to improve the nights at Moshulu.

Tell me, have you considered a career in the hospitality business?

Thanks for the input

Rob

PS. If you could just not shout so much next time, and maybe speak in english I would appreciate it.

Oh, and I've never seen anyone over 18 talk in 'text speak' or whatever it is called.

Originally posted by stuartmaxwell

was fucking dire, nobody there either

looks like a club struggling for ideas on a saturday, but putting a nite on cos they reckon that people will flock due to the success of other nites

nobody wants to go to moshulu every nite of the week

it needs a new idea for a saturday, something totally different

OK, you complain that the music was Dire, are obviously a regular and so enjoy the music on other nights, and then accuse us of trying to cash in by doing another night the same as all the rest?

Surely if it was the same as the other nights then you would have enjoyed the music.

I am not interested in promoting any Dance/Cheese nights here anymore because:

a) I hate the music

b) I get nothing but trouble from 80% of the Guests

c) Our regular crowd, who we do care about, should be able to turn up anynight of the week and enjoy themselves without feeling completely out of place.

d) A very distant fourth, it is hard to promote anything else when we are percieved, rightly or wrongly, as a rock club, or as I have heard it described 'a fuckin Goth club min'

When we were coming up with an Idea for Saturday we had to look at the market in Aberdeen, we figured that there was a load of people out there who were into the scene 10 years ago and now have nowhere in Aberdeen playing that Music, and didn't go on a Friday because

a) they no longer followed the latest music as avidly as they did

b) they probably felt a little out of place on friday's which seem to primarily attract 18-24's

Also, we felt that there was a smaller demand for things like extreme metal and Underground industrial, so we run these nights monthly in the back room.

So, we ran a tester night and attracted 200+ on a Bank Holiday Sunday, launched it on the saturday and grew the crowds from 150 to 350, then had a quiet week (175) on Saturday, so we are not panicking just yet thanks. We are in the middle of the Summer when most of our target audience for the Saturday is either on Holdiay, Skint because they are just back from Holiday or Saving to go on holiday. Remember that out target group likely has kids and a mortgage now so this is an affecting factor far more than for Students. Lately we see approximately 50% of Friday's numbers on a Saturday and if you compare a club night that has been open for 13 weeks against one that has been open for 5 years I think we are doing OK.

So, maybe I shouldn't feel the need to justify what we do on a message board, but as a team we do spend alot of time trying to give the nights an individual identity and appeal to different segments of a large and loosely defined marketplace, but it is a little aggrieving to be accused of struggling for Ideas and cashing in on other nights.

Besides If we didn't do it, someone else would.

i agree with Rob whole heartedly on this one, and even if he was "cashing in on the idea" who cares, i personally dont, i've been going to Bond*age for almost 3 years now, and when it moved from the palace, Moshulu gave it a home where no one else would...

not only has he gave it a home but also cloned the night and made it better...

for example, Caged is a completely Unique idea...

having been to similar nights to bond*age in edinburgh and Glasgow, they have nothing on nights like these!

be grateful for what you've got, i think we have a pretty good "rock scene" in aberdeen as far as the club scene goes!

Don't forget that Caged was the first Rock night in Moshulu, and that's our own night. Bond*age came a few weeks later (thank the Lord), and we didn't clone the Idea of Bond*age from the Palace, the same DJ's (Ross and Co) and Alan, the Old Manager of the Palace approached us about bringing the night here, so in essence it is the same night with a different venue.

Originally posted by Moshulu Rob

Don't forget that Caged was the first Rock night in Moshulu, and that's our own night. Bond*age came a few weeks later (thank the Lord), and we didn't clone the Idea of Bond*age from the Palace, the same DJ's (Ross and Co) and Alan, the Old Manager of the Palace approached us about bringing the night here, so in essence it is the same night with a different venue.

my bad!!

nah i didnt mean you cloned Bond*age.. good lord i know that much! i thought like Caged was a clone of Bond*age exept with a cage!! which makes it unique, but the music is similar, exept it does get SLIGHTLY heavier! :)

It's nice to see that the true regulars realise the difference between nights, and the difficulties in finding new ideas for the important nights of the week ie Thursday, Friday and Saturday. You can be sure that the poeple who complain about the nights would still have something to say if there was nothing happening on a Saturday.

Originally posted by Flik

It's nice to see that the true regulars realise the difference between nights, and the difficulties in finding new ideas for the important nights of the week ie Thursday, Friday and Saturday. You can be sure that the poeple who complain about the nights would still have something to say if there was nothing happening on a Saturday.

Mondays - Good night for drinking, great atmosphere, ace music

Thursdays - All the good shit, ace music (nu-rock), cheap drinks cheap door :)

Fridays - the best night as always cheap drinks and the best all round music to cater for all tastes :)

Saturdays - Ace night! all the classics with a bit of the new thrown in! cheap drinks and Blow up guitars all you want from a saturday night :)

Alternate Sundays - Obedience School, never been but im sure it was good ;)

All nights have the same friendly atmosphere and friendly, hillarious bar staff.

what can i say i love the place :)

Sorry to keep banging on about Me & Broken_Doll's Xenophon night ..... but feel obliged to reply after the remark about 'trying something different'.

We're well aware of the difference between the different nights, and that Saturday is targeted towards a slightly older crowd. Also know that it's also populated by us diehard Moshulu regulars.

So our night is centered around playing

A) Covers of old songs by new bands, that can be appreciated by young and old alike.

B) Classic old alternative stuff that older people will know, and that anybody who missed out on ought to hear.

C) Brilliant new stuff that anybody who's been behind a cupboard for the last five years ought to hear.

D) Some less frequently played tracks by bands you're going to hear on other Moshulu nights.

E) Cartoon themes, film soundtracks, and anything else surprising or unusual we can lay our hands on.

We're playing loud, and aren't looking at Room 2 as a chillout zone. Although the music ranges from Tori Amos to Atari Teenage Riot, so you get the best of both worlds.

I think 'not being different' is the last accusation that can be raised about what we're doing .... some people have said it's a little bit too different. At the end of the day, we're just the sideshow to the main room. But it's a good sideshow. Come along this Saturday to find out for yourselves.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tomaraya

First stuartmaxwell

Your comments.

Was fucking dire.

Why?

Nobody there either.

So how many people do you no who go out on a Saturday?

It needs a new idea for a Saturday, something totally different.

What do you suggest?

Nobody wants to go to moshulu every night of the week.

So why complain about Saturday, if you dont want to go out every night of the week, stay in then.

Questions for you

How old are you?

What type of music do you like?

What music do you dislike?

Second davey boy

The music for the majority of Saturdays isnt really what i usually listen to.

What do you listen to then?

i was so happy when I worked promoting for them cause I really wanted to do that job.

When did you promote moshulu?

And why are you not anymore.

Re: Re: moshulu last night

Originally posted by Moshulu Rob

When we were coming up with an Idea for Saturday we had to look at the market in Aberdeen, we figured that there was a load of people out there who were into the scene 10 years ago and now have nowhere in Aberdeen playing that Music, and didn't go on a Friday because

a) they no longer followed the latest music as avidly as they did

b) they probably felt a little out of place on friday's which seem to primarily attract 18-24's

Also, we felt that there was a smaller demand for things like extreme metal and Underground industrial, so we run these nights monthly in the back room.

Precisely the reason me and friends go.

Just cos I'm almost 30 doesn't mean I wanna sit at home with my slippers and cocoa.:cheers: