aberdeen-music

Howards Alias

lava p.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a few people who used to go to gigs a lot have said they hate Kef as its always the same local bands. Sure there is the odd time where there are good line ups but a lot of them are shit. I dont know much but I reckon should stop putting a variety of bands on instead of (for example) an all ska gig or all punk gig etc.

Let me ask you a question.

Say you're in a touring band' date=' coming to Aberdeen for the first time, and you see all these kids in the venue beforehand..you'd be pretty excited, right? After all, the youth is who buy your records and rave about you to their friends and such like..so you're sitting in Siberia having a nice dinner, and your tour manager tells you that the venue is really busy. Yay you think, I like this place - and so, you fuck about until after the supports have finished. You then go on stage and look out on a bored and uninterested crowd - half of whom are upstairs or have left already, because they were only there to see the support. Would you be happy?

Incidentally, if we hadn't had Howard Alias taken from us after we had them booked, I dare say we'd have had the balls to put on a decent support who added to the bill - not two rent a crowd bands solely to sell more tickets to line our own pockets.[/quote']

I cant be bothered with this

nobody took anything from you

I have promoted Howards Alias many times, I gave the band its first ever gig in the city long before the likes of The Moorings or Drummonds or Moshulu or Drakes had begun to promote live music, so I was given the chance to put them on again and I did. Do you have a problem with that?

If anything, you were taken the show away from me, if you think about it that is.

''Line our own pockets'' hmmmmm, do you see me wearing expensive clothes? Do you see me driving a car?

I make a living, thats all, and I do so because I enjoy what I do, I dont make lots of money. I run a tight ship, and that is what counts.

I really cant believe all this crap, can you not just be glad that bands are playing aberdeen.

so what if you dont like the support acts, maybe they dont like you? so what..........so fuckin what...............................................?

why dont you just try to think what it would be like if the city did not have any venues to promote live music, what the fuck would you do then.

if you dont like the line up, dont go to the gig.

Guest scott cs.
i saw 5FD a few months back at the Malt Mill and i must say they need to work on thier set a bit (althought it was very funny - loved the Fresh Prince cover! :rockon: ) and their drummer needs lessons (BADLY)

(btw - that was Criticism not an Attack)

worst. gig. ever.

Cloud, fucking stop giving us a bad name by causing bad relations with both bands and other venues. It's gonna make Good for Nothing? look amateur and stop other bands from wanting to work with us. I admit we would have loved to put Howard Alias on at Moorings but it doesn't matter that we're not. We're doing enough ace shows that it doesnt matter, and now Drakes has closed down people in Aberdeen should be grateful for every show that comes our way. Your argument should be against people that leave before the headline band, not the venues fault. I can't see any problem in booking a local band who bring a lot of people because I'd want them to bring people to see a band like Howard Alias, and bands like this don't come cheap...

Guest stuartmaxwell

hmm isuppose i can see clouds points there

but paul has made no secret of the fact he is in it to (try) make a living

so fuck if you dont like the support bands, dont go. but it seems like the grudge is with paul here, so why not just avoid going to gigs at kef in general, thats what i do. i dont particularly think much inspiring stuff happens there (band wise)

as for gigs. soon there will be loads of great gigs that will be well promoted with great line ups, no comprimise on supprt acts and the like.

even i am looking at various one off venues (guerilla/rogue gigs) that wont cost a fortune to put on (no sound engineer :D ) but will concentrate on great music rather than struggling to get by with shite support acts and bands i dont like (not that i have done that in the past or anything :dunce: )