aberdeen-music

Howards Alias

lava p.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scott cs.

yar, we are supporting. what happened to The 44s, i thought they were playing?

Howards Alias are AWESOME on record, can't wait to see them live. they're pretty close to stealing CapDown's crown as the premier UK ska band.

yar' date=' we are supporting. what happened to The 44s, i thought they were playing?

Howards Alias are AWESOME on record, can't wait to see them live. they're pretty close to stealing CapDown's crown as the premier UK ska band.[/quote']

you can hardly compare em. howard alias arent punk enough for my liking.

yar' date=' we are supporting. what happened to The 44s, i thought they were playing?

Howards Alias are AWESOME on record, can't wait to see them live. they're pretty close to stealing CapDown's crown as the premier UK ska band.[/quote']

the 44's were offered the date along with the jesse james date, and opted to do only one, which is jesse james

Oh my, it's not that long away. Howard's Alias are really something else live. Matt and his voice, woweeez. I'm hopefully having a trip to Dundee too, should they get a venue fixed.

But Gone 2 Far?? Should be the 'Youth, Paul. :p I'm hoping this will be busy, and not have half the people feck off like after The 44's last time they played.

Ahh yey, looking forward to this. Was very impressed with them last time they played. The singer had a really good voice, seemed lil out of it. Also it would be better if some people stick around for them this time. I don't get how people will stay and watch a band they have seen several times, then when the main band comes on that they may not have heard before they clear off. confuzles me.

Also it would be better if some people stick around for them this time. I don't get how people will stay and watch a band they have seen several times' date=' then when the main band comes on that they may not have heard before they clear off. confuzles me.[/quote']

That's what happens when you book rent a crowd support bands :)

Guest scott cs.

P.S. I will finally be seeing FFD after turning up late /missing busses etc. So I'm looking forward to that.

at least someone has something positive to say instead of all the negativity that is on these boards.

thank you.

Nice to see a unpredictable and varied support line up :up:

Cloud, lay the fuck off of Gone 2 Far. They don't pretend to be anything groundbreaking. They work hard and care about what they do. We all know what you think, so why don't you just stop repeating yourself. You're getting extremely boring. :nono:

Cloud' date=' lay the fuck off of Gone 2 Far. They don't pretend to be anything groundbreaking. They work hard and care about what they do. We all know what you think, so why don't you just stop repeating yourself. You're getting extremely boring. :nono:[/quote']

Let me ask you a question.

Say you're in a touring band, coming to Aberdeen for the first time, and you see all these kids in the venue beforehand..you'd be pretty excited, right? After all, the youth is who buy your records and rave about you to their friends and such like..so you're sitting in Siberia having a nice dinner, and your tour manager tells you that the venue is really busy. Yay you think, I like this place - and so, you fuck about until after the supports have finished. You then go on stage and look out on a bored and uninterested crowd - half of whom are upstairs or have left already, because they were only there to see the support. Would you be happy?

Incidentally, if we hadn't had Howard Alias taken from us after we had them booked, I dare say we'd have had the balls to put on a decent support who added to the bill - not two rent a crowd bands solely to sell more tickets to line our own pockets.

Hey, hold up Cloud. I've been through Gone 2 Far as support a couple of times and I can say that the vast majority of their fans have stayed for the headliners, and last time with Sonic Boom Six, got right into their show. OK, they're not the most exciting and original band in the city but at the end of the day Paul has a business to run and their fans are good for that. Yeah.

Yes, HA at the Moorings would have been the biz - with a different audience and support - but there's not much anyone can do now. I'd happily stand in a freezing park and watch them. I'll bolt Kef's doors once I'm in.

To be fair...you answered your own question there. That gig was the first time HA had been to aberdeen, so would you expect them to pull a huge crowd???? I know for a fact that they werent entirely surprised that alot of folk left...they knew themselves that it was fairly inevitable since they hadnt toured up in scotland that often and thus they are fairly unknown. its just great that promoters are willing to put these bands on in the knowledge that the attendance is likely to be much higher in the future.

As for the "rent a crowd" comment...since the 44s arent an aberdeen band this is nonsense. the reason people came to see us was because they had seen or heard about us from the many times we have been up to aberdeen in the past. whats wrong with that? unfortunately we have no control over whether they stay or not...as much as id have liked for the place to be packed for HA.

Hey, I never said anything bad about the 44's! I think the 44's genuinely deserve to be where they are now - I don't like the genre, yet last time I saw you guys at Kef (supporting...god knows who, they weren't very memorable), I thought you were fucking ace and deserving of so much more.

I'm just opposed to the way that Kef gigs have became ultra predictable - and it seems the quality of the lineups are sacrificed for who's going to take in a crowd - which, fair enough, I can see both sides of the fence, but Gone 2 Far are just the perfect example of a piss poor band that are getting gigs because of their mates as opposed to getting there on merit.

But yeah, I'd never call the 44's a rent a crowd band - as far as I'm aware, you bring in a pretty damn diverse audience, I recall the gig at Kef and thinking "hang on a minute, who are all these people?" - to me, that's the kind of bands that should be getting promoted, as opposed to bands who merely have all their mates turning up.

Hey' date=' I never said anything bad about the 44's! I think the 44's genuinely deserve to be where they are now - I don't like the genre, yet last time I saw you guys at Kef (supporting...god knows who, they weren't very memorable), I thought you were fucking ace and deserving of so much more.

I'm just opposed to the way that Kef gigs have became ultra predictable - and it seems the quality of the lineups are sacrificed for who's going to take in a crowd - which, fair enough, I can see both sides of the fence, but Gone 2 Far are just the perfect example of a piss poor band that are getting gigs because of their mates as opposed to getting there on merit.

[/quote']

Then where should Gone 2 far gig?

If you didnt book a band because 'they bring alot of friends to the show' then what local band should get a gig? Thats a bit harsh on the Local band - how will they get the gig experience?

Having said that ive never seen Gone 2 Far but i saw 5FD a few months back at the Malt Mill and i must say they need to work on thier set a bit (althought it was very funny - loved the Fresh Prince cover! :rockon: ) and their drummer needs lessons (BADLY)

(btw - that was Criticism not an Attack)

I agree that the line ups are always predictable which is annoying and I think has had some effect on the attendances at Kef.

Although Gone 2 Far are new I find that they are really annoying on stage and songs are very bland.

Not that bothered about it as its Howard's Alias headlining.