aberdeen-music

creativity and inebriation

Stripey

Stoned jams!

Not only do you feel the music more as a 3D experience, after a good spliff there are definately vibes running between you and the people you are playing with. A bond if you like, an uncaring, dreamlike haze that you are all, as a team (!!!), plunged into. Always wanted to jam on mushrooms.

Not only do you feel the music more as a 3D experience' date=' after a good spliff there are definately vibes running between you and the people you are playing with. A bond if you like, an uncaring, dreamlike haze that you are all, as a team (!!!), plunged into. Always wanted to jam on mushrooms.[/quote']

Its an illusion...

You only think you play better when your drunk or stoned.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Its an illusion...

You only think you play better when your drunk or stoned.

I second that, unless it were to be just one or two drinks or spliffs. This can loosen you up without really affecting you're playing. If you take too much of something, enough to affect you're physical interaction with the instrument or how you sing, it's bound to hinder you in some way.

Jamming on mushrooms... the last time i did this, I thought it was one of the greatest things ever(at the time), but I think the reality was that we just jammed, laughed and cried in E for about two hours... so we must have sounded like Hawkwind circa 1972!!!

:band::help: 8o

Not only do you feel the music more as a 3D experience' date=' after a good spliff there are definately vibes running between you and the people you are playing with. A bond if you like, an uncaring, dreamlike haze that you are all, as a team (!!!), plunged into. Always wanted to jam on mushrooms.[/quote']

but that's nothing to do with what you're creating, it's just the way you yourself are perceiving it. To anyone else who's not in the same state it's almost certainly unlistenable dross. Intoxication only affects creativity in that it reduces your inhibition, so you're more likely to play or write something you wouldn't normally try. However it also adversely affects not only your physical ability to play, but also your quality control. So you may well end up playing something you've never done before, but there's probably a good reason why you haven't - it's shite.

So many times I've written the best song in the world ever at two in the morning, then it's in the bin by lunchtime.

Guest Neubeatz

I really think that all forms of creativity depend upon the individual, whether under the influence or not,

Was Coltrane straight when he improvised some of his great solos? how 'bout Davis, Monk, Art Blakey, Hendrix, fox, even Clapton wrote/played great stuff when he was a smackhead,

Connan Doyle, did he never partake of the opium before dipping his quill in the inkpot?

A bond if you like, an uncaring, dreamlike haze

Yes that is one way of explaining, and its not an illusion,

But its usually the individuals who have not experienced such state that are in denial , so it may be purely individual, :)

I have played/composed under the influence, and the main trouble is that ones mind is so "free" that one may forget such essential items as the "record button"..... :down:

The more I drink the worse I get at doing most anything basically >' date='<[/quote']

what i've found is that some beer can act as a sort of beta blocker for the nervous performer in a live situation...but it doesnt take much to put you over the edge.

I enjoy jamming when i'm wasted

what i've found is that some beer can act as a sort of beta blocker for the nervous performer in a live situation...but it doesnt take much to put you over the edge.

I enjoy jamming when i'm wasted

What I find with booze, is that I can spend maybe 6 hours during the day working on a track and make a lot of progress with it (sober), then as soon as I have a couple of drinks, the workflow goes out the window, progress stalls and I end up losing focus completely.

I like jamming a bit when I've had a few, but I wouldn't say it's productive, just fun.

Guest Electric Tibet

Jamming on mushrooms... the last time i did this' date=' I thought it was one of the greatest things ever(at the time), but I think the reality was that we just jammed, laughed and cried in E for about two hours... so we must have sounded like Hawkwind circa 1972!!!

:band::help: 8o[/quote']

Ah yes, the "relentless onslaught"

I remember it well, sort of.

• 3 weeks later...