Guest JockeySnogger

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ancient Mariner
monkey dust

Nonsense!

Go watch the new series NOW on BBC3, and you'll find it's as essential an anti-bourgeois statement as the films of Godard, the novels of Camus and the albums of PiL

Nonsense!

Go watch the new series NOW on BBC3' date=' and you'll find it's as essential an anti-bourgeois statement as the films of Godard, the novels of Camus and the albums of PiL[/quote']

it tries far to hard to appear shocking, but it fails, its not funny and it doesn't make any great statements about anything (i'm not saying that the creators were trying to, but fans of the show often say that it does).

it tries far to hard to appear shocking' date=' but it fails, its not funny and it doesn't make any great statements about anything (i'm not saying that the creators were trying to, but fans of the show often say that it does).[/quote']

Part's of it aren't meant to be funny, more observational. There are so many cold hard truths contained in some of the sketches, about the state of our society. Maybe you should stick to southpark if you don't "get it".

Parts of it aren't meant to be funny: does this mean they would have failed if people had laughed at those bits?

If it ain't meant to be funny it ain't comedy. I was struck when watching that "Comedian's Comedian" that Eric Morecambe and Charlie Chaplin, and Peter Cook, have never made me laugh. Morecambe was comfortable and cozy but not in my view hysterically funny. Chaplin may well have been clever, but at the end of the day the point is to raise a chuckle surely.

Although as this thread proves, one person's meat is another's Ben Elton. :ding:

Guest Ancient Mariner
it tries far to hard to appear shocking' date=' but it fails, its not funny and it doesn't make any great statements about anything (i'm not saying that the creators were trying to, but fans of the show often say that it does).[/quote']

The show doesn't make individual statements, it is a statement in itself. The joke on Tuesdays's show:" Karen Carpenter was my favourite...i bet she's old and fat now" was both disgustingly shocking and hilarious (if u know she died of anorexia).

I'd sit through friends and laugh about twice. It's not that funny comedy.

Anyone who voted League Of Gentlemen doesn't understand brillaint comedy

i hate it when people say that if someone doesn't like a comedy, it's because they 'don't understand it.' what a sweeping presumption of your own intellect. people just find different things funny, which is why some will laugh at, and tell, dead baby jokes, whilst others find the thought utterly repulsive.

Guest JockeySnogger

Some more pieces of toss: New Simpsons (beyond 1999 a.k.a The day the creator and brains left), little britain, New southPark, Royle Family - Jesus Tap Dancing Christ that is awful!