aberdeen-music

Genesis

jester1470

Guest Zeenat Aman
King Crimson were too obsessed with being prog though' date=' I think they sound superficial at times (like in Moonchild), which Genesis never do :music:[/quote']

Hehehe, King Crimson were never really a part of the prog thing, you dont seem to get that.

Hehehe' date=' King Crimson were never really a part of the prog thing, you dont seem to get that.[/quote']

I'm not sure any band of that era was part of the 'prog thing' that was a label pretty much stuck on after the event - the prog tag didnlt come until most of these bands hadreleased a few alums. genesis, KC, Yes etc were just rock bands when they came out the label was put on later. However KC did try and make their music as complicated as possible, sometimes at the detriment of the music. Gnesis had the advantage of knowing that sometimes less is more.. I know taht many members of King Crimson also feel that the biggest problem was similarto what imo ELP suffered rom which was the overindulgence and the ability to not seem to know when to end a piece.

My favorite era of King Crimson is the era with John Wetton singing, I love Starless and Bookm of Saturday, Werron went on to sing in the muchly underated Asia. King Crimson are an underated band and have contributed much but there are oother bands who i feel are more criminally overlooked such as Van De Graff Generator, Greenslade and Gentle Giant.

cbeers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
However KC did try and make their music as complicated as possible' date=' sometimes at the detriment of the music. Gnesis had the advantage of knowing that sometimes less is more.. I know taht many members of King Crimson also feel that the biggest problem was similarto what imo ELP suffered rom which was the overindulgence and the ability to not seem to know when to end a piece. [/quote']

Eh?

I dont know why you have this opinion that KC tried/try to be as complicated as possible, go 'listen' again. Or where you got the info about many members thinking it was over indulgent etc!?

With both points you are incorrect. :p

Heh, I take back the prog thing comment, i guess you're right about it being called that after. :) Wasn't it called 'Art Rock' at the time? Funny how genre names get taken over...

Eh?

I dont know why you have this opinion that KC tried/try to be as complicated as possible' date=' go 'listen' again. Or where you got the info about many members thinking it was over indulgent etc!?

With both points you are incorrect. :p[/quote']

Erm - I got it from ex-members of King Crimson ;) John Wetton is the one I spoke to specifically about it several years ago to be precise who IIRC said "Fripp is a genius, he's be even more of a genius if he knew when to stop". I am aware of several other members who think similar things. I've been listening to KC for many years ever since i got a 4 cd boxset who's name is lost on me and they are overindulgent, some amazing tunees etc in there but masked between a lot of other stuff that is OTT. The one nit I have been impressed with Frip[p is in his business sense in turning KC into a viable and profitable business with stuff such as the bootleg series, a model sevreal other bands including Marillion now use for cash injection.

Cheers

Stuart

Heh' date=' I take back the prog thing comment, i guess you're right about it being called that after. :) Wasn't it called 'Art Rock' at the time? Funny how genre names get taken over...[/quote']

One of the things that i've always enjoyed about many bands in this genre is that they've never tried to be anything other than what they want to be, they've gone out there and played the music that they want to play and the genre's been tagged on afterwards. Neo prog is a prime example, interesting rant on the dprp : http://www.dprp.net/vision/index.php?id=13

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
Erm - I got it from ex-members of King Crimson ;) John Wetton is the one I spoke to specifically about it several years ago to be precise who IIRC said "Fripp is a genius' date=' he's be even more of a genius if he knew when to stop". I am aware of several other members who think similar things. I've been listening to KC for many years ever since i got a 4 cd boxset who's name is lost on me and they are overindulgent, some amazing tunees etc in there but masked between a lot of other stuff that is OTT. The one nit I have been impressed with Frip[p is in his business sense in turning KC into a viable and profitable business with stuff such as the bootleg series, a model sevreal other bands including Marillion now use for cash injection.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Hmm, have you read what John Wetton says in the KC book? Name the other several disgruntled members:P I can think of two, Gordon Haskell and Boz Burrell.

KC were not overindulgent, simple as that. Genesis would not have become the band they did had KC not been born.

:(*sorry I'm in a bad mood today, hence my nit picking/argumentative posts*:(

Hmm' date=' have you read what John Wetton says in the KC book? Name the other several disgruntled members:P I can think of two, Gordon Haskell and Boz Burrell.

KC were not overindulgent, simple as that. Genesis would not have become the band they did had KC not been born.[/quote']

No i haven't read the KC book, just what John said to me in a long conversation a few years ago. I would be more inclined to believe what was said in casual conversation than in a book where people usually praise each other. I'm not disagreeing in any way on the influentialness of KC as an entity and they were potentially the band that spawned much of the genre, but I still feel that the advantage Genesis had was that they didn't take it so far. Then again the whole thing about this genre is that it often appeals to many different people in many different ways.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
No i haven't read the KC book' date=' just what John said to me in a long conversation a few years ago. I would be more inclined to believe what was said in casual conversation than in a book where people usually praise each other. I'm not disagreeing in any way on the influentialness of KC as an entity and they were potentially the band that spawned much of the genre, but I still feel that the advantage Genesis had was that they didn't take it so far. Then again the whole thing about this genre is that it often appeals to many different people in many different ways.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

You should read the book 'In the Court of King Crimson' by Sid Smith.

Good for an inside history of the band and its unusual ways of doing things, nearly all past and present members were involved(it aint full of praise and ass kissing I assure you). and good cos it also gives a realistic reflection of what being in a band at that time was like.

Anyway, I'm off to listen to Gentle Giant: Three Friends ;)