aberdeen-music

fundraiser for Tsunami Aid

purplefrodo

Guest valley69
right!!!!!

a bar in aberdeen?

The Moorings? Acting fast is very important!

im there, just let me know when, purpefrodo should be there...he started this thread after all.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im there' date=' just let me know when, purpefrodo should be there...he started this thread after all.[/quote']

Indeed!

Ok, what day and time? Whats best for everyone?

As I already said, there are unaffected hotels in Sri Lanka that sell club sandwiches while there are people starving outside. Something very very wrong with that!

O.K i'm going to speak to Ross about possibility of this thing happening at moshulu, i think provisionally there is a date free in march. This may seem a bit far off, however, I'm with Ross in saying that there needs to be plenty promotion in order to get as many people through the door. What people who have contacts in the media need to do now is contact their 'contacts' and make sure that the event will get publicity. As of right now there isn't a definite date set, but that should be sorted out by the end of the week, meaning a meeting should be provisionally set for the coming saturday/sunday. I dunno wheres most suitable to meet. I think the Bassment at the back seen as its quite well set up for a meeting such as this.

O.K i'm going to speak to Ross about possibility of this thing happening at moshulu' date=' i think provisionally there is a date free in march. This may seem a bit far off, however, I'm with Ross in saying that there needs to be plenty promotion in order to get as many people through the door. What people who have contacts in the media need to do now is contact their 'contacts' and make sure that the event will get publicity. As of right now there isn't a definite date set, but that should be sorted out by the end of the week, meaning a meeting should be provisionally set for the coming saturday/sunday. I dunno wheres most suitable to meet. I think the Bassment at the back seen as its quite well set up for a meeting such as this.[/quote']

No, to maximise promotion the way to do it is to wait until there is a definite date and then co-ordinate things with the press, if everyone who has contacts contacts people then the newspapers will see the story etc coming in at several points and everyone may think everyone else is dealing with it. There is no point in trying to promote something without some basic facts or even the type of event its going to be. It's also mportant that the newspapers/tv media in general actually get the same press releases with the facts checked and rechecked. If they get conflicting reports etc they'll perceive it as disorganised and probably be less inclined to give it continued support.

The average turnaround for a news story in a newspaper is a couple of days so there's no hurry on that front. If you're serious about getting this to work then the way forward is to hold off until you have a story. A bunch of people on a messageboard with an idea, however admirable, is not a news story and not something any journalist is likely to pick up on. It's also worth seeing what format the event will take, there's nothing decided at all. If you are serious about doing this right then you need to get together a quorum of people to deal with the press and thrash it out properly, and they need to work very closely with the porganisers, if you're going to entice national acts then you also want to let the news trickle out who you've got to creat a constant flow of information and news stories. If you're serious about doing it, do it properly. I have a lot of contacts in mainstream press, such as the daily record, i assume other people will have more underground contacts, the way forward is to pool these contacts and send out the same press release with each person contacting their specific contact as they have a relationship already but making sure people don't get 50 emails at once. I would actually go down this route, anyone who wants to get involved should join this which is a forum for ideas etc :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aberdeentsunamifundraiser

This will allow people to post up press release ideas and things and will make it easier than communicating somewhere like here.

Cheers

Stuart

Right, this is more like it.

So we have Jester who is ace at publicity/PR etc. We have a possible venue. We will need bands, local? some non local? how many bands? If this is done properly the venue could be packed! I dont know if its any help but Im a professional photographer so images for PR etc is not problemo.

The Bassment is fine to meet in. Ok, what day and time?

Guest stuartmaxwell

hmm

seems like a good idea

there should be a sub-committee for each part of it i.e. a PR committee, band booking committee etc

stuart may be great at PR, but i bet he doesnt have every contact in the book, people like grahamc and delboy should be involved with this too

band wise, people from these boards are into the same "type" of bands, i.e. new modern music (all genres), we should really try to get non-aberdeen-music.com users involved too, i.e. we have jazz, blues, covers, everything, to generate as much interest and bands mates coming along

why stop at evening express, p and j, northsound etc??

something like this could be on north tonight, scottish papers, student bodies etc

the way the bandwidth initiative ran was great, and it was successful, why not try and build on that and take it to the next level?

im sure i could organise some corporate sponsorship for such an event too

hmm

seems like a good idea

there should be a sub-committee for each part of it i.e. a PR committee' date=' band booking committee etc

stuart may be great at PR, but i bet he doesnt have every contact in the book, people like grahamc and delboy should be involved with this too

band wise, people from these boards are into the same "type" of bands, i.e. new modern music (all genres), we should really try to get non-aberdeen-music.com users involved too, i.e. we have jazz, blues, covers, everything, to generate as much interest and bands mates coming along

why stop at evening express, p and j, northsound etc??

something like this could be on north tonight, scottish papers, student bodies etc

the way the bandwidth initiative ran was great, and it was successful, why not try and build on that and take it to the next level?

im sure i could organise some corporate sponsorship for such an event too[/quote']

I would be only to happy to be involved in whatever capacity required......

Oh and I make del and soundian look like mere children!!

G...

Sunday 20th Feb

Hen from Drummonds has started oranising an all day event at Cafe Drummonds on Sunday 20th Feb.

He is in the motions of getting over venues on Belmont Street involved, and already the Wild Boar has agreed to have an acoustic session. Anyband interested in playing should get in touch with Hen direct at Drummonds.

Hmmm..

That`s the same night as I have Steriogram at Moshulu.

I was looking to do something on March 17th for two reasons.

A Thursday night - Thus no clubnights....

&

St Patrick's day..... thus a great night for everybody to head out.

If people still wish to meet up then let me know.

Will be in Moshulu/The Bassment all day tommorow.

Guest JockeySnogger

I snapped the branch off a thorn tree a while back. Its not been touched lately but i'm guessing the spikes are still persuasive enough to "ask nicely" if people have either some money or would be interested in attending.

Let me know if you need persuasion.

I have done a lot of work organising charity fundraisers at the Arts Centre among others. Plenty of contacts in the council and a few in the local press and media. Id be more than willing to provide any help and time to put something together.

I think it s a great idea... but for it to work we will need for a committe to be selected with people made responsible for the different aspects involved, from Fundraising and Administration right through to Band Booking. These people need to be hard working, and willing to give up time.

This won't be the huge success we all want it to be if those qualities are not present.

I think a commitee sounds a like a damn good plan!

Im willing to offer my services in anyway shape or form. Promo, as in posters and flyering and the like would be more the side that we could do!

I think a meeting does need to be organised and people to be appointed. Obviously if they are willing!

We need a where and when? But the thing is, this question has been asked several times in this post! Who is going to take it by the balls and say here and now?

Cheers

Gary

:band:

Well I would hope I could... But before all that, and before I could grab it by the balls, need to speak to Ross and a few others... Something will definitely happen though... I think that's fair to say...

One thing I will say, and this is not a reflection on anybody in aprticular, its just a point. If we have a meeting, and organise some form of committee to work on this benefit, a chairman would need to be appointed, as would all the other posts. This can't be a popularity contest, it has to be about people who really can make it a successful night... Not just people looking for an easy ride... Or people looking for the credit.

Lecture over... hehe...