aberdeen-music

fundraiser for Tsunami Aid

purplefrodo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a combined night would be a good idea' date=' Drummonds is a wee bit small to have the whole event in.

This is such a great idea, i hope it goes ahead. If anyone needs a hand with it, gimme a shout.

Another thought (and only a thought because i know the logistics of it might not work) would be to see if we could maybe get a bigger band to play alongside local bands. I have no ideas who, but i don't know if maybe somebody knows somebody...

Of course, they would have to do it of free, but you never know...these things seem to work in the movies :D[/quote']

I certainly like the idea of a bigger band. Anyone with any ideas for realistic options? Also does anyone not feel that this is practical? If so, reasons? Also, will the local bands have to be invited to play if there is a limited number? Which local bands do you feel would get people through the door?

I think that a proper meeting should be held to organise a committee. People who are actually willing to do something practical to help put this thing together. Any suggestions...
This is why I was looking at giving us a little time to promote the event properly.

Touring bands are generally not going to be around until mid to late February.

March 27th is the next Bank Holiday as part of the Easter Holidays. Or Could Do St Paddy's day.... March 17th... A Thursday....

We have the Venue free that night and I was looking at doing an event then anyways.

Rather than have everyone on this message board stick in their tupence worth it would be better if people could elect a couple of people who have some form of clout with media etc to organise things.

Right.... I`m off to phone Neil.....see what's going down.

does this mean promoters, venue holders only which would be great considering moshulu is getting big bands in and turning into a high profile venue

Talked with Ross about doing something at Moshulu and getting aberdeen-music.com involved on an official level. Looks like something will be organised for around March but I'll leave Ross to make the announcements.

In the mean time if any of you want to donate now. Then simply go to this web site:

http://www.dec.org.uk/

In related news it looks like another aberdeen-music.com fundraising event will also be talking place possibly around May time. Keep a look out for announcements.

already spoken to eric in drummonds bout the possibility of doing this and he said yes' date=' no problem. (if another, bigger, venue would be better then cool) also said he`d donate some takings too.[/quote']

No offence, but all profits [bar sales and ticket sales less cost of stock, less staff wages, less promotion etc] should be donated to the appeal. The only financial beneficiary should be the charity.

No offence' date=' but all profits [bar sales and ticket sales less cost of stock, less staff wages, less promotion etc'] should be donated to the appeal. The only financial beneficiary should be the charity.

no offence taken, but by that statement surely if the bands and dj`s and people fliering can give up their free time surely bar staff, promotions, etc can also be written off....

remember, it costs bands money to do these things too (rehearsal, transport, equipment) so where do you draw the line???

Guest JockeySnogger

You wont make much of a contribution with a gig alone.

Perhaps somebody could record the entire thing then a few people could get together and select tracks to be made into a live album.

That'd generate about a 4 fold on the gig I reckon.

think small & quick i would say

We promoted the Sawers Sisters event on Thursday night. By the kind suggestion

of The Sawers Sisters 1 of the 3 entrance, plus a glass on the bar, for the audience

etc to donate. 150 went to the oxfam yesterday pm

JUST DO IT..............NOW (improvise)

In the long term 1month + approach the council & see if they would waive the Music Hall

hire fee & get an all dayer there.

no offence taken' date=' but by that statement surely if the bands and dj`s and people fliering can give up their free time surely bar staff, promotions, etc can also be written off....

remember, it costs bands money to do these things too (rehearsal, transport, equipment) so where do you draw the line???[/quote']

Sorry I meant the material costs of the promotions, as in paper and ink cost of flyers etc. Bar staff is a trickier one because they probably wouldn't have any choice in whether or not they worked. I also doubt they get as much job satisfaction as someone playing a gig (but that's a whole other can of worms so please lets not go there!).

But yes the best approach would be to obtain as much for free as possible, remember the story of how band aid avoided VAT because Geldolf hassled Thatcher. The same could be done with the likes of Aberdeen journals to get free coverage etc.

the music hall and forum have been suggested by others already. you reckon they would go for that? any1 know some1 involved with the council to ask??

i can get coverage on northsound and in the evening express so it shouldn`t be too hard to get some decent publicity. might manage to blag summat on bbc radio too(will look into it).

flash - not going there but i hear ya :D

gonna make some enquiries bout diff venues and things next week. will post anything here. if someone else has contacts in the right place. check em out. ta

l

the music hall and forum have been suggested by others already. you reckon they would go for that? any1 know some1 involved with the council to ask??

You don't ask you don't get. The Music Hall and Lemon Tree are council operated to some extent' date=' so [i']in theory they should be willing to do this for a good cause. My understanding is that the Music Hall does not have an installed PA (correct me if I'm misinformed)... now the cost of hiring a rig to fill that place would be substantial, and any extra profits would be chewed up, so that's perhaps not the best idea unless the PA hire company is willing to cooperate. The size of venue has to be matched to the number of people attending. My guess is that something like this done REALLY SOON with plenty of media coverage would easily attract an audience of over 500 people. So the varius factors involved in the equation are:

1) Number of people likely to attend - demand for tickets vs ticket price. 500 people paying 10 for a ticket is better than 1000 people paying 2.

2) Speed with which it can be organised to capitalise on the current level of press coverage. Provided the event gets plenty of media coverage then it doesn't require lengthy promotion. There is a point of diminishing returns.

3) Associated costs such as sound rig, barstaff, crew, sound engineer, lighting rig, security, tickets etc. The bigger the venue the bigger the costs vs the bigger the takings... provided enough people show up.

4) % of profits from all aspects of gig including bar sales that actually make it to the charity vs total profits. 10% of 10K is better than 50% of 1K. Obviously 50% of 10K would be an even better result.

5) Length of gig - the longer the gig the bigger the bar sales.

Hope that helps.

for contacts in the council - im friends with the Lord Provest, but what control he has over what actually happens, im not to sure.

if it was going to be in the music hall you would probably need a slightly famous band to play, otherwise you might struggle to fill the place with just local gig type people that use this site.

Well, I would happily help in any way, shape or form. What fucked me off was seeing a reporter on breakfast tv who quite rightly got annoyed with the situation in Sri Lanka. People were panicking because there was no food and across the street there was a hotel which was untouched by the Tsunami. People could order as normal from their menu while outside people were getting desperate.

Something needs to be done now!!!! :help: