aberdeen-music

burberry

Guest hexagram56

Guest hexagram56
apparantly the burberry caps have stopped being made by the company.. due to it having.. well a bit of a ned-like reputation.. :rolleyes:

but most of the caps are made by cheap copy companys

The so-called "alternative" community are becoming more prejudiced than "ned's", this thread is increasing proof.

Let me relate a little story..... I am a person who loves clothes. I wear things I like and take pride in my appearance and I actively dislike the scourge of emo (and the majority of modern) music. Whilst in town last week I had the misfortune of having to cross through the top of the St Nicholas centre, when some totally hardcore alternative kids with wild pink hair and a host of crazy piercings designed to offend and alarm their totally out of date parents who just "don't get them", started spewing a stream of obscenities featuring the phrase "emo" repeatedly.

After a pretty difficult conversation littered with 00's alt-culture slang and poorly formed words, I managed to work out I was being called "emo" because I was wearing a scarf and black jeans. I pointed out it was the middle of winter in Aberdeen, the most northernly major city in Britian and I was liable to freeze to death without appropriate winter accesories. They were having none of it though, I was Emo and that was it. As a guy who couldn't name three "Emo" bands and listens to pretty much exclusively 60's Swing music, Elvis and the Cramps, I found this a bit alarming and it left me wondering, are we all going to catch Flu this Winter for fear of being labeled Emo because some filth-bag from (Insert popular Emo band currently doing the rounds on Scuzz) wears a scarf.

Anyway, the moral of my fable is, alternative/rock fans are just as discriminitave as the Ned's your so quick to chastise, remove the moat from your own eye's before you start slagging off other people's clothes. And also, they're probably getting laid more than you.

Your right, some of the 'alt' scene, especially the younger generation seem to be no better these days. I count myself as alternative scene I guess but never would I dream of making fun of a stranger for the way they are dressed etc. Just doesn't cross my mind. Hell, I was even attacked by little skater kids once when I was wearing a trenachcoat, so it really shows its the people not the scene. In Glasgow we had what we called Slipneds... basically neds in goth clothing. They were bad mouthed, violent and basically a ned in every sense of the word, just dressed differently. Apparently a strong reason for this was the more 'violent' music, easier access to drugs and far more girls. Dunno how true that is.

I have to admit I myself used to be quite prejudice (never to the point of actually harassing people though) but as time has gone on a reasonable majority of my crowd are now more in the 'trendy' catagory, and I find myself spending more time in trendy clubs and so forth, and I have to say the people there can be just as nice.

I even recently met a guy from the racer crowd, which I think a lot of people consider bordering on ned. Have to say despite being wary at first I found him to be very pleasant and polite (we were at a dinner party). Afterwards during the enevitable 'adult dinnertable' type discussion it was also clear he was well educated and had interests in politics etc. Even on the 'racer' side of things, so he liked his fancy cars? So what? He also had a large ammount of knowledge about cars. I also know his girlfriend and from what I know and hear he treats her very well.

Basically my argument here is it has nothing to do with the scene, but with the individual. I could wear a tracksuit tomorrow and it doesn't make me a ned. I do agree though that the 'ned' scene does foster a larger ammount of asshole that other ones.