aberdeen-music

Aberdeen's music scene

jonty84

I just gotta say I think that the music scene in Aberdeen is fucking ace. I've been here a year and a half now and it continues to surprise me just how many different, talented new bands there are on the scene, and how many hard working, established bands there are about as well. Where I'm from (Belfast) the music scene is fairly mediocre and its hard as fuck to get a gig at all - in some instances you even need to pay to play. But its amazing that there are four or five specific venues for new bands to play in, and they all seem to get fairly good audiences as well.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that it's only a matter of time before a band from Aberdeen make it seriously big.

Jonty :)

And if a cross between Fireman Sam and one of the guys from Cash in the Attic says it you knows it's true!

I love loads of the bands in Aberdeen not to mention loads of the bands that play here from far and wide. There's still places that get the bands 'too big' for Aberdeen but look at Ross at Moshulu destroying that particular notion at the moment with Mad Capsules and Therapy? and the like.

Besides festivals and fun trips away more than compensate when the 'bigger' bands are around :)

i think aberdeen could have a great music scene, in my ten or so years of living here i must admit that there are some very good bands out there if you look around, these messageboards only represent a small part of the music scene and i don't think speaks for it in any specific way but i think there is a great deal of potential here, the main problem i find is that record companies and talent scouts tend to be lazy gits and don't travel very far to see bands because i can think of a few bands through the years who had the potential to push themselves onto bigger and better things

so it goes

best wishes,

el flosso :up:

i think aberdeen could have a great music scene' date=' in my ten or so years of living here i must admit that there are some very good bands out there if you look around, these messageboards only represent a small part of the music scene and i don't think speaks for it in any specific way but i think there is a great deal of potential here, the main problem i find is that record companies and talent scouts tend to be lazy gits and don't travel very far to see bands because i can think of a few bands through the years who had the potential to push themselves onto bigger and better things

so it goes

best wishes,

el flosso :up:[/quote']

You could say that, but you can't complain about record companys not being interested, I would love it if there were, it would mean getting your band hear alot easier, but if your in a band and want to be signed that so much, shouldn't they not be the lazy shits and send demo to every record company, and tour so that you make a name for yourself and if the companys here the demo and and hear about your live shows, am sure people would take an interested.

You could say that' date=' but you can't complain about record companys not being interested, I would love it if there were, it would mean getting your band hear alot easier, but if your in a band and want to be signed that so much, shouldn't they not be the lazy shits and send demo to every record company, and tour so that you make a name for yourself and if the companys here the demo and and hear about your live shows, am sure people would take an interested.[/quote']

Spot on. Record companies aren't gonna come up here, and if we're all perfectly honest, why should they? They don't give a shit about music, they just want to make money, and there are plenty of bands in London for them to sign up.

The Manics spent weeks sleeping on their manager's floor just so they could play in London to get noticed. Commitment, see?

I personally intend to play a maximum of about 5 gigs before making my way to London (Which I spell S-H-I-T-H-O-L-E, Shithole) once I manage to find suitable candidates for my band. And demos will be sent far sooner. I don't understand bands not sending demos to record companies as soon as they can.

You could say that' date=' but you can't complain about record companys not being interested, I would love it if there were, it would mean getting your band hear alot easier, but if your in a band and want to be signed that so much, shouldn't they not be the lazy shits and send demo to every record company, and tour so that you make a name for yourself and if the companys here the demo and and hear about your live shows, am sure people would take an interested.[/quote']

i wouldn't call it a guarantee though, you can tour the ends of this earth and trawl every toilet venue there is in this world and wear your 8 tracks out to breaking point recording as many demos as you like and still not get anywhere, i have seen it in all the places i have lived over the years - london, manchester(where i am originally from) and glasgow, and yeah the record companies are in it to make money, i know that better than anyone from working in the industry for many years

i agree that more bands should make the effort to put themselves out there and take the initiative and not moan about their geographical plight but it depends on your product at the end of the day, if you're playing music that about a thousand other bands in this country are playing and performing live week in week out then the chances of them throwing money at you to record an album are very slim, the record companies are looking for niches to exploit, not niches that have already been exploited and filled

i think the main problem with a lot of bands are that they want that quick fix solution to the music industry, they want success too quickly and aren't willing to work as hard to get it, recognition and reputations are only based in the work thats put in but its easier said than done alas, and it requires a lot of commitment and devotion to your art too, as well as money ;)

Yes Aberdeen music scene is very cool

And anyone who wants to take there music to another city namely Glasgow

Send a Demo & Biog to

Stuart Maxwell

flat 3/1

1005 argyle street

Glasgow

g3 8lz

and he will get back to you

he organizes audio dropout gigs in Glasgow @ STEREO

birthplace of Franz Ferdinand (thats the band not the guy)

and HAY its a non pay to play gig in Glasgow

Which will be well promoted and the bill will always feature local talent to promote attendance

Thank you

Guest stuartmaxwell
:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Thats pish so dont start please.

Good scene in Aberdeen i agree.

nah, its piss poor

take a look in other cities

even dundee has a better music/art scene than abdn now,