aberdeen-music

music theory

Guest neil ex

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it can do any harm... It's kind of like having an instruction manual. Knowing the theory won't necessarily make you any more creative, but it does help if you know why A minor works so well in C, or the best chord to play after a D7 or whatever. I don't see how it takes the fun out of music as long as you use it as guidelines and not rules.

Any writer can have a really good story, but you can write a better book if you know about good grammar and vocabulary.

Guest pop-notmyface

i'm studying music theory right now as i have a lot of work to catch up for higher music.

it can be quite complicated at times, but then again, also makes sense very often. apart from all those italian terms...

i was wondering the same thing as well recently, but i think its a good way of actually understanding what you listen to all the time. and its also very helpful when writing songs, so they make more "sense" musically and not sound like a random bunch of chords or other garnage. :)

Guest neil ex
Originally posted by pop-notmyface

i'm studying music theory right now as i have a lot of work to catch up for higher music.

it can be quite complicated at times, but then again, also makes sense very often. apart from all those italian terms...

i was wondering the same thing as well recently, but i think its a good way of actually understanding what you listen to all the time. and its also very helpful when writing songs, so they make more "sense" musically and not sound like a random bunch of chords or other garnage. :)

hmmm, i did higher music aswell, and i did inventing at advanced higher level in 6th year

higher music isn't really anything to do with writing good music, it's just you write music to pass an exam, that's why i didn't really like it.

it's like someone would hand in a peice for the teacher to mark and the teacher might say to put in a chord change and that someone would put in the chord change regardless of whether they thought the song needed a chord change or not, i think hardly anyone in my class wrote music because they wanted to write music, just that they wanted to get an extra higher, which is fine really.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Philip Johnston

Learning music theory will not affect your creativity in a negative way, but can open you up to lots of other options that you wouldn't have previously known about!

I'll second that,

I'm seriously thinking about getting to know about all this theory business... though I must say it didn't stop me from writing a mega 80's synth piece last night... Steve says it'll buy my ranch.

But yeah, I don't think it affects your creativity, but I think it helps you get your desired result faster... though I personally don't think all the structured, "this sounds good with that" things are a pile of bollocks, some of the best sounding pieces I've heard have been made with the most bizarre combinations of notes and chords.

Guest Bob Double Jack

I know very little about music theory, but for some reason I can find what sounds right. I wish I had the patience to learn some (it might improve my guitar playing cos i'm shit at it according to some people!).

Learning music theory was one of the best things i ever did! It helped my writting and my playing loads cause you learn about all the interesting chords you could use instead of the chords which just fall into a pattern. Plus, if you know theory, then you can write down what you wanna play and other people can play it without you having to teach it to them bar per bar.

xxx

Originally posted by Porter

Learning music theory was one of the best things i ever did! It helped my writting and my playing loads cause you learn about all the interesting chords you could use instead of the chords which just fall into a pattern. Plus, if you know theory, then you can write down what you wanna play and other people can play it without you having to teach it to them bar per bar.

xxx

But thats half the charm of what I write, it makes fuck all sense to anyone else.

"Line 2 - insert fucked up programme 5 in a random manner, and use heavy modulation"

that makes sense to me.

yeah, it is cool to have music that only makes sence to you but then again if your wanting to do like higher music or something it really does help to be able to write down what your playing. And plus, just cause you have a skill like theory, doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, its just nice to have.

Originally posted by Porter

yeah, it is cool to have music that only makes sence to you but then again if your wanting to do like higher music or something it really does help to be able to write down what your playing. And plus, just cause you have a skill like theory, doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, its just nice to have.

I guess so, I really should learn some theory. It's hell transferring my info to anyone else.

It's like

"this key, then this key, then you modulate like this... and switch to this programme and press this, and this... etc"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest neil ex

GOFONES go by things that sound good before things that are technically right. GOFONES beleive that learning music theory actually enhances stupidity, therefore making the idiot even more dumb. GOFONES say by learning music theory, you get into a habit of trying to work out things that work, rather than experimenting and listening. GOFONES will bite your balls off, you ignoramass. Look at The Strokes, I bet you they all know music theory. That's why they play predictable music. Instead of mucking about on his guitar, the guy goes, 'oh a C and an E and a G will work here' and he writes it down next to a treble clef ,whatever, then he'll play it and think to himself 'it's ok, but I can't think of anything that will go better, wait, I'll try playing it in a different sequence', then he'll find something that's slightly better and say to himself, 'oh that's a bit better, it's still not great, but i can't think of anything else, i'll go check in my music theory book', then he checks in his music theory book and sees that a D will work aswell, so he tries adding a D but can't get anything good, mainly because he's lost his ear for music, but he still has it a little bit, he then says to himself, 'oh I'll just stick with that bit I came up with because my music theory book says nothing else will work, and my music theory book says 'dischords are strictly forbidden in pop music''.

There's some music theory for you all.