aberdeen-music

Guitarmonies...?

Dan G

Do you think guitar harmonies make a song?

Or do you hate them and think they sound like cheesy wank?

I personally think they give a song an extra touch of class, if they are used tastefully...

Iron Maiden are the masters of the guitarmony but I know they are a pretty marmite band, if you know what I'm saying.

Oh, and that Brian May sound is awesome!

Well, they can make a song if they're a key part of the chorus or somehting, but as an instrumental break they're just a bit of texture aren't they? make things sound a bit fuller and more musical.

On a different topic, how come everyone is aberdeen are such big iron maiden fans? Not a problem mind, but it does appear to be a bit of phenomenonenon here and I've always preferred sabbath myself...

Originally posted by chrisc

Well, they can make a song if they're a key part of the chorus or somehting, but as an instrumental break they're just a bit of texture aren't they? make things sound a bit fuller and more musical.

On a different topic, how come everyone is aberdeen are such big iron maiden fans? Not a problem mind, but it does appear to be a bit of phenomenonenon here and I've always preferred sabbath myself...

I like a bit of guitar harmony....70's bands did it best

Check out Humble Pie and Wishbone Ash especially their live albums

I dont much like maiden or sabbath i'm affraid...

Originally posted by GraemeC

I like a bit of guitar harmony....70's bands did it best

Check out Humble Pie and Wishbone Ash especially their live albums

I dont much like maiden or sabbath i'm affraid...

I've heard some Wishbone Ash, they did some really mad scat* stuff! I think my dad likes them...

When I was a kid I always thought they were cool because they had a red flying V on one of their CD covers....

*(not 'scat' as in 'poo fetish')

Originally posted by Mouse

Hey, remember Thin Lizzy kids! :)

Personally I love guitar harmonies, they just sound really nice with the music.

Corrosion of Confirmity do some nice, thin lizzy-esque guitar harmonies - 'Clean My Wounds' being one that springs to mind..

The instrumental stuff I've done has some harmony stuff in it, usually just to add a bit of color, sometimes to make up the whole tune. Suppose it depends on the tune your writing..

Originally posted by Dan Loaded

I've heard some Wishbone Ash, they did some really mad scat* stuff! I think my dad likes them...

When I was a kid I always thought they were cool because they had a red flying V on one of their CD covers....

*(not 'scat' as in 'poo fetish')

Wishbone Ash live dates...is one of my all time fav albums.

Originally posted by chrisc

Corrosion of Confirmity do some nice, thin lizzy-esque guitar harmonies - 'Clean My Wounds' being one that springs to mind..

The instrumental stuff I've done has some harmony stuff in it, usually just to add a bit of color, sometimes to make up the whole tune. Suppose it depends on the tune your writing..

CoC have awesome harmonies, but its only really the solo in Clean My Wounds that is harmonised...

Long Whip/Big America and Albatross (amongst loads others) have awesome harmonies!

Originally posted by Mouse

I'll be checking them out then ;)

they don't do harmonies in a very maiden-esque way but they are an AMAZING band.

Check out these songs:

Long Whip/Big America

Wiseblood (the song - off the album with the same name)

Clean My Wounds

Heaven's Not Overflowing

Senor Limpio

King Of THe Rotten

Broken Man

Vote with A Bullet

Albatross

Any of those are a good start!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scorge Spike
Originally posted by Dan Atom

Iron Maiden are the masters of the guitarmony

You not heard of Gamma Ray Dan? Not one to disrespect the Maiden, but they utterly cream the Irons in this respect. :p

Re: Re: Guitarmonies...?

Originally posted by Scorge McBrain

You not heard of Gamma Ray Dan? Not one to disrespect the Maiden, but they utterly cream the Irons in this respect. :p

Yeah, I have No World Order. Its pretty decent!

But I think knowing when *not* to play a harmony is very important and the problem with power metal bands is they try and out-maiden maiden!

This doesn't bother me that much however...

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by chrisc:

If you weren't in a band already then you and I should have been in the same band together! Theeeah Allbbaaaatraaawas is meeah..

Still haven't found anyone in aberdeen looking for my particular blend of geetar talent...

I'm a CoC fan, and a MachineHead fan, and a general Metal lover.

However, i am musically talentless.

Fancy teaching me the brutal art of the"proper" metal riff?:headbang:

Originally posted by New Found Power:

I'm a CoC fan, and a MachineHead fan, and a general Metal lover.

However, i am musically talentless.

Fancy teaching me the brutal art of the"proper" metal riff?:headbang:

Musical talent comes along when you can play properly (and you sit down and write stuff for hours on end!) - got any demo stuff yourself?

Originally posted by New Found Power:

None.

I'm pish, and currently in the market for a guitar teacher.

Just wondering really...

Fair enough, I used to teach a couple of folk actually - I even got paid for it by one of them! If your looking to learn guitar scales I wrote a bit of software a (long) while back: http://www.webprofusion.com/scalex

If your looking to learn a few tunes you could try some tablature/tution software: like a demo of Guitar Pro (http://www.guitar-pro.com/) and some files from from http://mysongbook.com - cheaper than getting guitar teacher (free in fact!) There's also Power Tab from http://www.power-tab.net/ which is free and I don't think it expires (guitar pro does)