aberdeen-music

Roland GR-20?

...mole...

Any of you people here had experience with the Roland GR-20 guitar synth, its there newest guitar synth out, its basically a smaller version of the Roland GR-33 guitar synth.

since i cant afford the 429 for the GR-33, ive decided to go with the 339 GR-20 i just wanted to know what the sounds are like, good quality?, plenty of them, at least some editing options. how good the tracking is? and is it any use for MIDI outout to computer for controlling VST Synths etc.

• 3 years later...
Guest davetherave

Roland GR-20

I tried the GR-20, and it was no different to my GR-33, it does have less features and you cant edit the sounds. But the tracking is as good as my GR33 and the sounds are exactly the same.

I'm thinking of selling my Gr-33, (along with some other synth and FX kit) so drop me a line if interested? Reason for selling is to buy the new VG-99, but at 699 I have to sell some kit first to raise the cash ;o)

Cheers,

Dave

I used to play a GR30 and there is notable latency from that on the lower notes. You can play the high notes but not the low ones, basicly.There is apparently much less latency on the newer models such as GR33.

The sounds seem quite good but the design and interface of the unit isn't great.

In my opinion, it isn't very useful as a floor unit. I would persoanlly prefer it in a rack with a seperate controller. This is why I would recommend a rack unit with external sounds over one of these floor GR units.

The terratec axon AX-100 is the fastest tracking controller around but it has rubbish sounds onboard. You can get it for 350 new.

I don't play guitar synth any more since I got into playing keyboard. I suggest concidering this option as it will be much more useful in the long run.

If you decide to go down the root of guitar synths and are prepared to do a bit of DIY.....

Get a cheap guitar that stays in tune well. You can then get a Roland GK pickup kit, drill holes in the guitar and install it yourself.

If you do this and it goes horrible wrong, not my fault.

I did it and it worked quite well, I just don't use it any more.

• 4 years later...
Roland GR-20

I tried the GR-20, and it was no different to my GR-33, it does have less features and you cant edit the sounds. But the tracking is as good as my GR33 and the sounds are exactly the same.

I'm thinking of selling my Gr-33, (along with some other synth and FX kit) so drop me a line if interested? Reason for selling is to buy the new VG-99, but at 699 I have to sell some kit first to raise the cash ;o)

Cheers,

Dave

How much?,ted.

Guest davetherave

Forgot all about this post! But as it turns out I have two guitar synth systems for sale, one Korg Z3 with pickup and a Shadow SH075 midi guitar system. Also have a Roland VG8ex with pickup (virtual guitar system with synth sounds).

PM for details and prices/trades.

Thanks Dave,.no problem,.for what i need i thnik it has to be the GR o9/20/30/33 ,.just need a good Jazzy hammondy organ patch thru PA and to hold it and solo over it with straight guitar into my amp!, also need Double bass sounds on 5th n 6th strings maybe thru a Bass amp and the straight Acoustic thru pa!,.thats all i need!,if you hear of one please PM me!.cheers.ted.