aberdeen-music

The Running Thread

Gladstone

You said your revised target was 62/63 minutes didn't you?  Pretty much bang on with 63:20 - gotta be happy with that!

True. I am a rather hard taskmaster on myself, y'see.

Stonehaven half mara next, so the perils of hill training beckon. Joy unconfined!

Edited by Scorge

Sounding good dude.  Remember to keep doing what you're doing and build up gradually - don't just decide that because you're feeling good you're going to go and run 10k in one go.  Try adding one km at a time for example.

How often are you running 5k?  If you're doing it a few times a week, perhaps just try adding 1km to one of the runs.  Do that for a few weeks, then add another 1km, do that for a few weeks and so on.  It won't be long before you can run 10km without stopping.  And if you do it gradually, you'll be picking up the distance and staying at 10min/miles and that's a 1 hour 10k.  Ace!

Thrice a week doing around about 5k. Sometimes less, sometimes a smidge more. Im definitely going ca'canny about it, building up gradually. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ive started using an app that you link your paypal account to and you set targets that if you dont hit you get charged an amount you're comfortable with. Its a gimmick but it totally works for me - I need that extra motivation. Inversely, if you hit your targets you get paid money from others who miss theirs. A crazy idea but again, good motivation. I know I shouldnt need it but still.

Thrice a week doing around about 5k. Sometimes less, sometimes a smidge more. Im definitely going ca'canny about it, building up gradually. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ive started using an app that you link your paypal account to and you set targets that if you dont hit you get charged an amount you're comfortable with. Its a gimmick but it totally works for me - I need that extra motivation. Inversely, if you hit your targets you get paid money from others who miss theirs. A crazy idea but again, good motivation. I know I shouldnt need it but still.

Wow - that's a cool / weird gimmick that I ain't heard of.

It's quite a good idea in some ways - although, can you abandon it at any time you want?  I.e. what if you break your leg or something...?  You can't exactly smash your running targets if you're on crutches for 8 weeks.

it's called Pact.

There's a minimum target. Also, you don't exactly rake it in. I've made about 50p so far in 3 weeks.

You can link it to your runkeeper app or use geolocation with your gym (i.e. every time you go to your gym for a minimum of 30 mins it counts as 'activity). They've figured it out well... difficult to game the system.

My target is simply 30 mins of running (min average pace 20min/mile) 3 times a week. Nothing too crazy but it helps to get me out there when i can't be arsed.

Went to Copenhagen for a few days and took my trainers with me. Had an ace early morning run round a park/nature reserve/common beside the hotel on Thursday morning.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/507036233

Bloody roasting weather though so was melting through most of it. 

Scolty hill race at the weekend. Not sure yet if I'm going to run. Did a lot of walking round the city while we were there and ended up with sore feet and legs. So might save myself with Skye half coming up.

93:42 at Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon on Sunday. Nearly 4 minutes off the PB. On the back of a full training week (no taper) and no runs farther than 9 miles in about 3 months!!! Chuffed is nae the word. With some actual half marathon training I'm confident of sub 90 this year. The course isn't what you'd call a PB course with its section of beach and hills etc!

• Upvote 1

93:42 at Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon on Sunday. Nearly 4 minutes off the PB. On the back of a full training week (no taper) and no runs farther than 9 miles in about 3 months!!! Chuffed is nae the word. With some actual half marathon training I'm confident of sub 90 this year. The course isn't what you'd call a PB course with its section of beach and hills etc!

That's pretty beasting. Well done!

Are you running Scolty at the weekend?  I've decided to give it a miss as I've got other things to do and need to get a long run in with Skye coming up in two weeks but I tagged along on a recce of the route tonight:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/509677482

The bit after the first descent is very wet. You're either running through a small burn or running through bog either side of it. Good fun! The second descent is very technical and really enjoyable if you like that kind of thing (I do). Lots of tree roots and quick direction changes.

Tomorrow is the true 'hump' of the c25k training - the 20 minute run with nae walking! Managed the two eight minute runs and felt really good afterwards, even after upping my pace during the second run. Plus, although I should have been doing this from the start, I did my proper stretches after the cool down walk for the first time yesterday and have none of the soreness/stiffness I sometimes get after running faster than normal. Huzzah. 

Starting to feel a real difference, basically. 

• Upvote 3

Tomorrow is the true 'hump' of the c25k training - the 20 minute run with nae walking! Managed the two eight minute runs and felt really good afterwards, even after upping my pace during the second run. Plus, although I should have been doing this from the start, I did my proper stretches after the cool down walk for the first time yesterday and have none of the soreness/stiffness I sometimes get after running faster than normal. Huzzah. 

Starting to feel a real difference, basically. 

Well done! I'm sure you'll nail the 20min run. It's great when you really start noticing improvements.

I always find stretching is a massive help to prevent or at least alleviate DOMS, but there's a large number of runners who don't bother with it. 

Stretching after running was another revelation for me earlier this year.  The foam roller is also great if there are any "tight spots" in the legs.  I had just never given it a go, but it's really great for loosening things up.

Well done KarmaTsunami!!

Fraserburgh 10k this Sunday - anyone fancy it...?

Oh - I forgot to mention that I finally joined Fraserburgh RC a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't been along to any of their sessions yet, but I've got to know a few of the members at recent races etc.  I discovered that on the country road that I live on, there are 3 others in the club.  There are only about 6 or 7 houses on the 2 mile stretch of road, and now 4 of us are in the running club.

Oh - I forgot to mention that I finally joined Fraserburgh RC a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't been along to any of their sessions yet, but I've got to know a few of the members at recent races etc.  I discovered that on the country road that I live on, there are 3 others in the club.  There are only about 6 or 7 houses on the 2 mile stretch of road, and now 4 of us are in the running club.

Excellent! With your times I'm sure you'll really enjoy being in a club with fellow runners. Really helps push you along.

I'm done with the 10k for a while.  Skye Half Marathon a week on Saturday though.  Expect it to be pretty brutal.  Figure it's either going to pish down with rain and make for a miserable couple of hours or it'll be hot and sunny and make for a miserable couple of hours.

Chris - I see your clubmate Robbie Simpson is still smashing it up...

1:30 off the Scolty course record?  That's massive over a 7.2k course!

Aye I saw that (couldn't make it along to the race sadly). He said online that he's run up it over 1000 times so he should be quick on it!

Looking forward to seeing how he gets on in the Alps over the summer.

I've had an off week due to being too busy and also felt a tweak in the sole of my foot the last time I ran. My football season also finished so my exercise time has been zero this past week. I've totally noticed a change in my general well being. Once you start running seriously (or semi-seriously in my case) it really affects your morale and/or mood. I've noticed myself being a little more anxious and generally easily pissed off. A good motivator to get back out there.

I've managed to corrall a few friends who are keen to start a little running crew. We're gonna alternate wknds meeting for a run in the two main parks here in poland (central and prospect). Looking forward to that although I can foresee us undoing all the hard work with a few beers afterwards each time. 

Nailed the twenty minute run. Felt like I could have kept going at the end, so hopefully the rest of the plan is going to be a cakewalk. 

Also submitted my Charity Place Application for the Edinburgh Marathon next year, so fingers crossed that Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Centre Lothian approves me! I've e-mailed them about it so should be fine. 

Edited by KarmaTsunami
  • Upvote 2

Nailed the twenty minute run. Felt like I could have kept going at the end, so hopefully the rest of the plan is going to be a cakewalk. 

Also submitted my Charity Place Application for the Edinburgh Marathon next year, so fingers crossed that Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Centre Lothian approves me! I've e-mailed them about it so should be fine. 

Great stuff - well done!

(Sounds like you are being sensible, but just in case you're tempted...)

Even although you feel like you could go farther, it's a good idea to just stick with the plan.  Don't be tempted to keep going beyond the planned 20 minutes or 25 or whatever the next one is!