aberdeen-music

Cover bands

Frosty Jack

Guest Young Adolesent

Oh that makes more sense then. Except you could probably push the date back another 15 or 20 years actually.

possibly haha. i forgot to mention i was on about pop chart music yous thought i ment all music. there is few pop music bands i actually like

I've got more of a live and let live attitude to covers bands. If that's what people want to do then why not?

Same here. Not everyone has want the same things from music. If my mum would rather see some Queen tribute act than to an artistically creative new band than why should I care.

How broad would you want it to go? My band does songs from McFly, Busted, Barenaked Ladies, Status Quo, ACDC, Dire Straits, Oasis, Beatles, Blink 182. Its a pretty wide genre of music. You cant really go from Miles Davis to Megadeath in a pub, it doesnt work that well, and it certainly wont get you back for a second gig. 

Have you tried? You never know.

no you dont understand. :)  i like up to 2009 but after that its crap

Haha surely this is just trolling?

in my eye chart pop music died that year

Oh wait are you saying this because Girls Aloud broke up (went on hiatus) that year? Maybe you have a point.

Edited by Paranoid Android

So young. So, so young.

xx

Pre-2009? Yep. Good.

Cover bands: I don't want to be in one and I rarely want to see one but I get why folk would want to do it. Being in a band that writes original material is hard. Getting people to be interested in the original material is even harder. Not everyone has the ability and/or desire to do that but they still like playing music and there's an audience that wants to see/hear them do it. I get that - I can happily come up with a beat when someone else has some riffs but I could never write a song on my own despite being a competent guitarer as well as drummist. I don't seem to have the correct brain type for coming up with original melodies. I assume I'm not alone there.

Apparently I make a distinction in my head between cover bands and tribute bands. I'm far more likely to stick around for a tribute act for a band I like (that I'm probably not going to get to see) than a band playing a range of covers. Anyone else do that?

• Upvote 1

Same here. Not everyone has want the same things from music. If my mum would rather see some Queen tribute act than to an artistically creative new band than why should I care.

Have you tried? You never know.

Ive tried going from Shang'alang to Whole Lotta Rosie, and watched the dance floor empty as the people up dancing had no interest in such a different style of song, its safe to say the reaction would be worse going from Miles Davis to Megadeath.