aberdeen-music

OTT Moderation

Guest E.C

so...

Why is it that so many posts are deleted/threads locked on these forums? It gets so boring that people just update Pet Hates/Weekend/Football threads.

Is it really absolutely necessary that threads 'stay on topic'?? Or a thread that isn't really about anything in particular be closed for "not going anywhere constructive"?

Does it really matter? Surely these forums are as much about having a laugh/unloading as they are about being a resource for selling/buying/meeting/discussing.

Most moderators on this site delete more posts than they should probably bother with and then moan about the fact they've deleted so many posts. Good job.

Maybe the reason there are so few active users on this site (outwith the 'regulars') is because you can't actually just make a joke or post a link to a video without having it moved/deleted/being told not to do it.

Also if you freak out about people reviving old threads, maybe you should delete the old threads?? would save bandwidth and calm you all down a bit.

Fully prepared for the predictable responses of "if you dont like this forum, don't post here"

I locked a thread from 2009 that EC bumped for no particular reason.  Could be that.  In general I think we're pretty light touch here to be honest.  The only things that tend to actually get deleted are arguments and abuse as far as I'm aware.  There's special cases, like the trading forum where off-topic posts are discouraged but outside of that I don't think we're overly fussed. 

I certainly wouldn't say that OTT moderation is the reason for the site not being as busy any more.

FWIW, I agree completely with Ewan and have said so in the past.

Threads get entertaining if they're left to grow naturally IMO, I don't see the need to be so stringent about things being 'on topic' - e.g. "guys, you're dangerously close to having this thread closed, get back to speaking about gauges of strings for that rare 1975 banjo or so help me God I'll lock this motherfucker".

In my opinion, threads shouldn't be touched nor posts deleted unless they're overly distasteful, or break 'tha rulez'.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Then the place becomes a shit fuck of nonsense in every thread.

Incorrect, it instead becomes boring as fuck, and full of non-entertaining threads and everyone back-slapping and sucking each others' dicks (metaphorical dicks, of course).

The forum is on a decline and has been for years. There's nothing interesting posted here, no new members to keep things interesting (any forum 'characters' are forced away by in-jokes, their provocative posts being deleted or any threads being merged into one). Jake is a pain in the arse but at least his posts generate discussion/reaction - even if negative.

I only probably come here out of habit now to be fair. It's not the place I look for new gigs, or new music, it's not the place I look for musicians and it's rarely the place I actually sell stuff that I want to get rid of. It's the place I come when I want people to tell me how great my band is or how funny that new gif is that I found on another forum.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes
  • Upvote 1

The rules of the website are clear and always have been. If you post in a thread keep it on topic and don't post shite. You've been around long enough to know that by know but you seem to have a problem sticking to it. I didn't delete your post in the Paranormal thread, but I would suggest that the person who did did so because it was a copy and paste story from some guy's blog that's been posted repeatedly on tons of different forums for years. Not in keeping with the theme of the thread. If you're going to throw your toys out of the pram every time we delete some nonsense post, then stop posting nonsense, problem solved.

Closed.