aberdeen-music

Malt mill tonight

The Milner

Don't know what it's like now' date=' but it was THE shittest place to play in Aberdeen when I were a lad. So much so that we reported them to the Evening Express for cheating us out of our fee. They didn't like that much. They also used to ban bands from playing for using naughty language - rock n'roll!

Gimme Drakes, Drummonds or the Moorings anyday....[/quote']

Agreed. And who can trust a place that charges 2.70 a pint for guinness.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the place is inhabited by sex criminals and they make the bands play at the same volume as a juke box

we played there to get some easy cash a few years ago and they had the cheek to say they thought we should speak to the audience more and be more 'approachable' if we wanted a return booking (which we didnt actually)......so they are obviously looking for insipid Butlins style entertainment or some kind of cosy pub rock karaoke

if its got any better fair enough, but thats what it was like a few years ago

not somewhere Id go for a pint either

Juke Box My Arse Ye Poof

Drummonds is a great venue,I HAVE PLAYED THERE DOZENS OF TIMES and its on the list of being the best place in Aberdeen to see bands tae.

Betamax,ye shite steerin fucker,you used to go there heaps,when the sound engineers were nae quite up to Ians standards,check it oot on Saturday for The Clashed and 16 again and Sunday from 2pm with the hangover cure from hell 16 again... again.

ha ha haa

I am pissed and thocht ye were slagging Drummonds,anyway the Malt Mill IS VERY VERY DIFFERENT, worth a look next Thursday when 16 again are gigging , and I will be for the first time ever using a fully electronic Kit whoo hooo canna wait , they hae very flash looking flat screens wherever you look tae and they are paying better dosh and ye dinna hea tae pay for the PA either,a bit o an auld mannies pub,but that's fit I am,still nae as good as Dr Drakes though , although Drummonds is getting surprisingly good at booking a nice variety of bands.

If it's under new management then maybe all opinions formed several years ago should be put on hold until you've checked it out again.

Think back to what the Moorings/Drummonds was like 3 years ago.

Exactly!

1. under new management

2. new bar staff (probably the most friendly you'll get was one comment i heard the other night)

3. Plasma screens

4. Music is played by Bar Staff through the new surround sound. Bands can ask for their CD's to be played...jus ask!

5. New Drinks Promotions

6. New attitude

7. New Venue!

8. Free Entry

9. relaxing Atmosphere

10. make up your own minds and come in for a drink!

thats a heap of shit...they were supporting us and we paid them half of the fee 50/50 so get your facts right!

When who was supporting who? I wasn't referring to any specific event! I certainly wasn't talking about anything that may or may not have happened at a gig you were playing. Where the hell did you get that idea? Completely random!

I'm saying that younger, more naive bands are generally cheaper to book than the guys who've been doing it for 20 odd years. THIS IS A FACT! Promoters/Pub owners know and take advantage of this - as would any sensible businessman.

You don't catch many of the old gaurd clamouring over themselves for the 80 you get at The Malt Mill. They think that kind of money is fucking SHITE. That's why there is room for younger bands to play there now, because none of the circuit cover bands consider it worth their time to play there anymore.

The fee at the Malt mill 10/15 years ago was more like 200 or more. They then cut the fees and cut the fees until no-one wanted to play there anymore. This meant the kind of bands that did play the malt mill became poorer and poorer with only a few good acts playing on rare occaisions.

5 years ago The Malt Mill still had the occaisional good band, but mostly the bands were noise merchants and people didn't want to go and see that. The bands that played were young and stupid and crap. I know, I saw half of them. The regular crowd didn't like the new young bands and the new bands didn't draw many people apart from their friends because quite frankly, they were clueless.

But they *were* cheap.

Young bands aren't necessarily good, but they're cheap. Old cover bands aren't necessarily that good either, but they ask for a sensible fee and play for 3 to 4 hours. The also generally know how to work a PA. Got it?

I hope you can now understand that young bands are indeed cheaper never minding what you did at one gig because the 80 you split between you and whoever else is a drastic amount less than ONE band would have been payed 15 years ago. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

Anyway Danny, don't tell me to get my facts right in regard to these matters, I've been playing this City for 4 years already, and my Dad's been playing closer to 40. I know exactly what I'm talking about as do most of Point of Origin in this regard because our families have all been doing this for a very long time.

Drummonds is a great venue' date='I HAVE PLAYED THERE DOZENS OF TIMES and its on the list of being the best place in Aberdeen to see bands tae.

Betamax,ye shite steerin fucker,you used to go there heaps,when the sound engineers were nae quite up to Ians standards,check it oot on Saturday for The Clashed and 16 again and Sunday from 2pm with the hangover cure from hell 16 again... again.[/quote']

erm I was talking about the Malt Mill NOT Drummonds ye shite steerin fucker*

Ive only ever been in the MM twice or something but yeh I used to live in Drummonds in the 90s and endure all those terrible bands like MHG heheheh

.... but no.....wont have a word said against Drummonds (apart from its dodgy era in the 98 to 2001 when it went a bit mainstream shit with all the drinks promotions and that wooden fence in front of the stage WTF was going on then!!!!)

if they ever start doing stovies and baked beans at dinner time again - it will rule - but I think Eric demolished the kitchen

btw

yer Drummonds gig at weekend was neat neat neat :band:

* - just read yer next post - that expalins it ya wee rascal

Just wanted to say that the reason why myself and gary lacked much stage presence and emotion for that gig was because we were pretty much put on the spot and taken out of our element. Our drummer cancelled on us to go to Glasgow a week before that gig, so as a result our choices were a) cancel the gig or b) do an alternative. An acoustic covers set seemed perfect as we don't and won't quit for any reason. Sorry if it wasn't what you were expecting, but we tried our best with the limited time and resources available to us.

Anyways, we've kicked our drummer in the arse and now he's back on true form again + we have several gigs lined up and an EP launch to boot in the next couple of months. Oh back to the old grindstone!! :band:

Stu (Open Air)

P.S. It's the beard that makes me look older and I never realised I had a 'lost boy look', but hey: eat, drink and be merry!!

Anyway Danny' date=' don't tell me to get my facts right in regard to these matters, I've been playing this City for 4 years already, and my Dad's been playing closer to 40. I know exactly what I'm talking about as do most of Point of Origin in this regard because our families have all been doing this for a very long time.[/quote']

Oh...okay sorry your god.

I've been playing in bands in an around the city since i was 14 m8 so dont jus assume shit!

Anyway the fees vary for different nights in the Malt Mill.

If you get a decent crowd in, your money will go up. It is a business an the point is making money.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Oh...okay sorry your god.

I've been playing in bands in an around the city since i was 14 m8 so dont jus assume shit!

Anyway the fees vary for different nights in the Malt Mill.

If you get a decent crowd in' date=' your money will go up. It is a business an the point is making money.[/quote']

ho ho ho, he prob just looks at your childish ways on here and assumes that you are still 14

give the boy a biscuit

the place is inhabited by sex criminals and they make the bands play at the same volume as a juke box

we played there to get some easy cash a few years ago and they had the cheek to say they thought we should speak to the audience more and be more 'approachable' if we wanted a return booking (which we didnt actually)......so they are obviously looking for insipid Butlins style entertainment or some kind of cosy pub rock karaoke

if its got any better fair enough' date=' but thats what it was like a few years ago

not somewhere Id go for a pint either[/quote']

But we aspire to play at Butlins?

I have to say, as far as I'm aware the quality of the sound there is poor at best. Maybe it's just my experience but I've never heard of the sound being good there.

Personally, I think The Moorings has the best sound as far as Aberdeen venues go... especially with Mr Thomson behind the desk.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Yeah but at least you had to wait' date=' you sound like a tool who doesnt know his arse from his elbow everytime you post. But hey......nah never mind waste of my time.[/quote']

agreed

anal twat!