aberdeen-music

Malt mill tonight

The Milner

Well to be honest i was a bit dissapointed with this night. The first band who did an acoustic set were a bit boring and 5 finger discount were (sorry guys) poor at best tonight. Seriously get rid of the covers it really doesnt do any good for yous. Broken Sunshine however played quite well and the vocals were really good need a bit more movment on stage i think to bring out the show more. But still enjoyable. As for the last band sorry again i dont know their name but again i found them a bit boring. Not much there to grab your attention, some good gutiar work tho.

Well that my two pennies anyone else there??

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...The acoustic guys (Open Air..?) were pretty cool, I thought. Not my kinda thing at all though, so I wasn't really paying attention, but, of what I heard, they were still good guitarists and singers. Five Finger Discount are a good band, they'll be better with time, obviously, but last night they weren't at their best; I've seen them better...like their first gig, for example. The Deviada's (?) were pretty good, I didn't know what to expect and I was pleasantly suprised! They were ace to just sit and chill out to, and some songs were good to kinda cheesy dance to which was ace! I think Broken Sunshine played pretty good, I havn't seen us play that well for quite a while. But as a band, generally, we dont move around that much on stage...I dont know why...I guess we're just not confident enough to move around and stuff.

Guest scott cs.

we weren't too hot last night i thought, personally i had a poor gig, i messed up alot. bad gigs happen and its only our 3rd one and we're still pretty much learning the ropes as it were. the covers will go soon, ESPECIALLY Fresh Prince, much to everyones delight.

Open Air were cool for their first time playin acoustic. I do prefer their electric, metal stuff but it was still quite enjoyable, shame couldnt hear Garys guitar, specially on the whiskey in the jar solo.

Five Finger Discount sounded awful tonight. I thought they played well on their first gig but tonight...one of the guitars sounded shit...was it even in tune or just out of time. I know they can do better. And yes, please do get rid of the covers.

Alex from BROKEN sunshines bass got BROKEN...oh the irony. how sad i even thought of that. But their sound was good for them and they played well. I must admit i didnt stick around for the last band...damm hypocrite I am.

my first time to the malt mill and it was quite enjoyable. id like to see more gigs there...a good lil venue. id love to see some sweaty punk gigs there, its got a littlle space to dance

Guest DustyDeviada
As for the last band sorry again i dont know their name but again i found them a bit boring. Not much there to grab your attention' date=' some good gutiar work tho.

[/quote']

Speaking as the guitarist for The Deviadas (the last band), you can keep calling us boring for as long as you like so long as you keep complimenting the guitar work, ha ha!

Always going to be difficult to please everyone when you've got such a diverse line up. I don't suppose the kind of people who would normally go to a Broken Sunshine gig would usually enjoy the kind of stuff that we play. But it does you good to hear something different every now and then.

Speaking as the guitarist for The Deviadas (the last band)' date=' you can keep calling us boring for as long as you like so long as you keep complimenting the guitar work, ha ha!

Always going to be difficult to please everyone when you've got such a diverse line up. I don't suppose the kind of people who would normally go to a Broken Sunshine gig would usually enjoy the kind of stuff that we play. But it does you good to hear something different every now and then.[/quote']

Hey exactly man. I didnt think you guys were a bad band at all just as you said not quite my thing. Also your bass was far too loud compared to everything else which for me didnt help the sound. Your right tho it is good to see diverse gigs such as that instead of just "punk rock" or "metal" bands all night.

Open Air - Strange one this, the bass player (playing guitar on the night) looks about 5 years older than he was when I saw their last gig. What happened to him? Anyway, he's all grown up but still has the look of a lost boy in places. I thought Gary's guitar was too quiet, but that's often the case when you shove a mic in front of an acoustic. It just happens and you can't do much about it but it meant that none of the lead parts could be heard. Maybe you should've swapped instruments. Also, although Gary was hitting all the right notes, I thought the songs weren't being sung with any conviction or conveying much emotion. Use your charisma and PERFORM the songs. (Sounds like something Simon Cowell would say)

Anyway, it felt like they were going through the motions.

5 Finger Discount - I think Milner got it right. The covers need to go and the vocals are needing more attention. Of course, the job is made more difficult when your instruments aren't tuned properly because you're left with the dilema of picking one instrument over another as your guide. Tune up properly and re-tune. One of the early songs in the set was pretty good, cool little shouty bits and pop bits combined - I remember liking that from the Kef set. One of the others has a confusing key change or chord sequence that didn't come across well but it was hard to tell because nothing was coming across the way it should. I'll have to hear it again to make my mind up. It was lively performance, but I've seen them play better than this.

Broken Sunshine - A good set. I was impressed with the vocals which grabbed me in the first song and bar a few mistakes, sounded really good from there on out. Unfortunately the drummers mic was feeding back and muddying the sound. Then there was the bass problems and so on, but I don't think they were phased by it and got on with everything. Not much of a "performance" but barring 5 Finger Discount who went for it a bit more, everyone struggled to produce a performance. I think the simplicity Broken Sunshine's songs helps to project the best ideas, and it's obvious they've got a good ear for writing pop melodies. There's potential there, but you need to tighten the screws girls. Also, if it were up to me I'd have less use of the cymbals in the songs as too many cymbal hits wear out the ear and makes things mushy.

The Deviadas - Who'd known that I'd see Emma so soon after reading that thread in which she was accused of having a "bland voice"? I'd seen her perform in Bad Karma but not in this band who were a bit of an odd bunch. On last night's performance I hardly think her voice is bland (no matter if that's how she's trying to sing) but I don't love it either. I also find it hard to believe that these people know and are friends with each other. They just look so unlike each other. Into the first song and any doubts that they weren't really a band were quickly dispelled as they could obviously play as a unit. The bass was definately too loud, but it made a change from struggling to hear it. Was it through distortion or something? It sounded bloody weird. I liked the guitarist though, his unusual playing style made things more interesting and was an attention grabber. As for the drummer, he was a little half-assed methinks. I think you guys lack a passion for what you're doing. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, like Milner, I have to say it wasn't my cup of darjeling darling.

All in all it was a good excuse to go out for a pint which is what live music is all about, no?

Guest DustyDeviada

Yeah, I knew the bass was too loud and told Dave to turn it down after the first song. Obviously he didn't turn it down enough. :(

As for the drummer being half-assed, well no comment except to say that she was playing her last gig, so if anybody knows a drummer who might like to join, get them to PM me.

Oh and keep those guitarist compliments coming! :up:

Guest stuartmaxwell

get a korg stage tuner for 60

it really does make the set look much more accomplished (i.e. not wauuuuuiiuwwu between every song :p)

i play with many varied tunings and i rate it as one of my finest investments yet!just wish i had gotten it sooner :)

Guest stuartmaxwell
thats your opinion mate!

But it's not half as bad as some other places i've played!

hes right there folks,

they would have to be true dives to let that whiny wee shite play

charmed, im sure

Guest DustyDeviada

Agreed.

I know people on here look down on the Malt Mill because it's not part of the "scene" and they also have covers bands and stuff, but to call it a dump is laughable when you consider most of the other music venues in town, especially since its been done up.

Guest Neubeatz

Right,

So I have insulted the basement cupboard of a shrine to artists such as Bunion, and Snuffy, that fronts as a venue for ......."LIVE COVERS BANDS" , where they tell you a fee on the phone and tell you a different fee once you have played(we had to take money off, for the pa.)

What a load of tosh,

Most artists on this site, and outside "clubby band land" know exactly what kind of venue the malt is.

If it has improved dramatically since the new management took over then thats great, :up:

No dis respect intended to any musicians, performers and artists,

I like playing the malt mill...yes, I'm young and stupid... But it's a different place from all those shit 'cool' places that everyone goes to and then criticizes bands who arn't cool enough. I like playing there cus it's somewhere different to play and it's a cool place to relax and everyone gets in for free, so that's a major bonus. The stage is nice, and the sound ain't bad either. Just cus it's not 'cool' or whatever you're trying to say, doesn't mean it's not a good venue.

The Malt Mill is one of the first places I ever went to a gig, its awesome, although has been done over since then so I dunno what its like anymore but I really hope they still have those ace big pictures of like Louis Armstrong and people like that on the walls cos they were awesome and the whole feel of the place was just cosy and homely, I loved it.......almost as much as I loved the old Drakes, that place was fucking amazing!!!!!!!!! tiny, but amazing, the artwork on the walls there was some screwed up shit and I just loved it! oh how i miss it

Guest DustyDeviada

It is better since the new management took over. They don't do that daft "charge you for the PA" thing, so the money is better too!

I don't think they really have a policy on what kind of bands play there, all they care about is how many punters the bands bring in, which is fair enough.

Ive been playing at the malt mill for a few years now and i must say it shits all over most places in aberdeen. The venue its self its very nicely decorated and done up and it looks good. on top of that you get a fair deal from them, you do well take in punters you will be back again and maybe for more money (which has happened to me). If you dont take in the punters and are shit you wont be back its that simple.

As for the PA thing yeah they did use to charge to use theirs but since we've had our own for ages it really was never an issue with us, but i can imagine that being a bit shit.

I also feel the sound out of the malt mill is pretty good as well. Fair enough you need to set up the PA yourself but that isnt hard for such a small venue and if you struggle with that then you really need to get a grip.

Money wise as well you get more from the malt mill than most places pay you which is always a bonus.

Has anyone noticed as well that they can tape your performance for you if you wish with the vidoe camera that points on the stage?? Always a laugh!!

So yeah the malt mill is a good place to play!!!!

Ive been playing at the malt mill for a few years now and i must say it shits all over most places in aberdeen.

Don't know what it's like now, but it was THE shittest place to play in Aberdeen when I were a lad. So much so that we reported them to the Evening Express for cheating us out of our fee. They didn't like that much. They also used to ban bands from playing for using naughty language - rock n'roll!

Gimme Drakes, Drummonds or the Moorings anyday....