aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Who would you install as captain instead? Just curious, because I don't think there are many players in that deadwood-ridden squad that'll be there in five years, and the others don't really stand-out as "captain material," whatever that is.

Like i say, my money is on Rooney, he was one of the few shinning lights from the previous season. Carrick isnt a captain imo, Fletch wont play enough, DDG is too young. Outwith them i cant see anyone who is going to be a nailed on first teamer next season. Not unless he signs a captain. 

Yeah but Carrick the season before was fantastic, i think he can get back to that form, with Fletcher to back him up when needed. I'd still argue the more attacking minded midfielder would be better suited for United right now. 

So you want the 33 year old Carrick as the new spine of the Man Utd team in defensive midfield?  With the 30 year old Fletcher who has played 38 games in the last 3 seasons as the backup?

You need a new DM.  

I think if it was Strootman that was still getting talked about in the papers then people would be a lot more excited as he's foreign and plays for a better national side where people will have seen him most.

I thought RVP as Captain was pretty much locked in already.  The only issue I can see with it is Rooney throwing the toys out the pram as he is the megabucks player at Man U these days.

He has been there for ages, and performed well for the past few seasons. Of course you would want him to play a big part in them moving forward next season. He is still a great player when he is on form, and Fletch can still do a job, especially as a back up. If they keep Fellani then i really dont see them signing a defensive mid. 

He has been there for ages, and performed well for the past few seasons. Of course you would want him to play a big part in them moving forward next season. He is still a great player when he is on form, and Fletch can still do a job, especially as a back up. If they keep Fellani then i really dont see them signing a defensive mid. 

I'd argue a 33 year old midfielder is very unlikely to rediscover form from a couple of seasons ago.  It's more than likely his decline has started and that he will continue the way he played last season.

I'd rather have a new DM than rely on Fellaini as well.  if not just that McCarthy is a better pure DM than Fellaini also Fellaini hasn't been well received at Man U and it would possibly be better to just start again with the new CM pairing.

I do still think you need another midfielder I'm not disputing that but I also think you need a DM.  I'd be getting rid of Carrick if it was me, hold on to Fletcher just to keep some consistency but Carrick would be sold.

I don't think they will sign him either but he'd be a better buy right now than Barkley. McCarthy was their player of the season and at 23 should be about to come into his prime. Barkley wasn't even in the first 11 a lot of the time.

Barkley obviously has the potential to be a better player though. 

I really like McCarthy, and he would be a better signing than Barkley, purely because Barkley plays in a well stocked position. He won't be playing ahead of Rooney or Mata for United, so it would be a waste of money. I think Barkley may play a more central midfield role in the future, but right now, he's essentially a forward. United don't really need forwards. Infact, they probably need to get rid of some.

Carrick probably doesn't have a good season left in him now, and I don't think Fletcher will return to previous form.. McCarthy, if available cheaply, would be a good replacement for both. But he won't be cheap. Everton paid a fair sum for him, and would be looking to make a tidy profit. for that type of player, United could probably get Clasie or Strootman for the same price, or cheaper.

United need to be aiming higher though. Kroos, Fabregas, Vidal, Gundogan. Hell, if Yaya's kicking up a stink, why not stick a bid in? Give him all the birthday cakes he wants.

Yaya will be paid in cake and handshakes.

Rooney is on what he's been on since 2010. He got a whopping big pay rise in image rights from Nike, but not from United, so said Woodward at the investors meeting the other week.

I don't even believe United have made any kind of offer yet. I'd say it's over once he re-signs.

That guardian article contains no quotes other than Paul Scholes saying he would be a good signing. It doesn't mention any sources either, not even a vague unnamed one. It was also written by Jamie Jackson. It's about as reliable as one of my posts.

Edit - After having clicked on the link I realise that's not the same piece as I read yesterday. It's probably a bit more reliable than one of my posts but I still think it's fairly meaningless.

Edited by Paranoid Android

It will be astonishing if United don't splurge everything they have on top midfielders this summer. If you forget about Fellaini (which was just a massive disastrous mistake by everyone involved) then United have not bought a central midfielder since 2008, when they bought Hargreaves and Anderson, both good players who were ruined by having knees made of mush. That's a long time. And many centre backs, #10s, wingers and strikers have come in, but other than the Belgian bog brush, nobody for the midfield.

Remember when United had Paul Pogba on the bench, and Fergie opted to play Ji Sung Park and Rafael in midfield in a humiliating home defeat to a godawful Blackburn? A game which Pogba himself has decribed as being the catalyst which drove him out. Now look at him. He's taking the piss at Juve. Screamers galore.

Fergie, as good as he was, insisted on papering over many, many cracks. I don't know how he managed to not invest in the midfield since 2008, and still win the league 3 times then, and reach 3 Champions League finals. It's probably a testament to how good he was.

Remember when United had Paul Pogba on the bench, and Fergie opted to play Ji Sung Park and Rafael in midfield in a humiliating home defeat to a godawful Blackburn? A game which Pogba himself has decribed as being the catalyst which drove him out. Now look at him. He's taking the piss at Juve. Screamers galore.

I remember this; Fergie fucking loved Rafael.

He was a stubborn manager, which was great in some regards but obviously worked against him on occasion. I said at the time that allowing Pogba to leave was a mistake, but it must have gotten pretty bad before the player himself was determined to leave Man Utd. It speaks volumes for his self belief though, leaving a club like Utd as a totally unproven youngster (who was widely recognised to have bags of potential) to move to Juve and become one of the best players in world football? Moyes could have certainly done with having him last season. What a player.

I've seen the link before, just thought it was pretty hilarious is all.

He's a brilliant footballer but I'd be astonished if he signed for Man United. Surprised they've not been sniffing round Marchisio more.

Edited by Murrr