aberdeen-music

Cat Power Is Bankrupt - A Sign Of Modern Indie Music?

I hope she gets back on her feet. Fairly shite article, but I found the medical part of it pretty interesting. I'm surprised that a touring musician - especially one that's probably not exactly living at a cosy b&b every night - wouldn't have health insurance in the states... it's probably one of the highest risk jobs going.

I don't think her profession really comes into it. Much bigger earners than her have gone bankrupt, there's nothing (in that article at least) to indicate that she isn't earning enough to live on from being a musician, she might have just squandered all her money on shite and bad investments.

I don't think her profession really comes into it. Much bigger earners than her have gone bankrupt, there's nothing (in that article at least) to indicate that she isn't earning enough to live on from being a musician, she might have just squandered all her money on shite and bad investments.

And alcohol with her being a recovering alcoholic and everything.

Yeah, when I read it I thought it must be the health issues more than anything: medical bills can bankrupt anyone. Assuming she didn't have any insurance, the fact she lasted so long might have indicated she'd done reasonably well. Not being able to get insurance in the first place might be consequent on her being a musician; but I think any self-employed person might struggle to get insurnance.