aberdeen-music

Message From Captain Toms...

Frosty Jack

Saw this on Capt Tom's Facebook page, and thought it needs to be shared here.

If you're going to book a practice, you really have to do the best you can to at least turn up. Sure sometimes circumstances are such that you can't, but to just not turn up without even calling is just ridiculous. Toms is a vital resource to Aberdeen, we can't afford to lose it, especially just due to thoughtlessness like this...

Dear people in bands. 
Please please please please please please please please please please please please stop booking into Captain Toms and then not turning up and not even bothering to phone and tell us.
We had 4 bands do this to us yesterday and already 2 today. This will kill is and there will be no Captain Toms in a few months if it keeps happening.

Sorry for the negative post but there's only so much we can do!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=613201935365677&id=266001826752358

There is, but if you dont know the people i guess it makes it hard to enforce. They wont know every person in each band, and i personally book the room under my name and not the band name. I've cancelled a few rooms late on before, but i always pay next time im in, its a cunt having to pay for a room you didnt use, but dont book the room unless your willing to respect the rules.

We rehearse at The Depot in Edinburgh and they keep a list of all missed practices and bill the band/contact person next time they're in. I can't imagine Tom's is any bigger or busier than The Depot, so it must be workable, or at least workable enough to make it worthwhile. The vast majority of punters will be repeat bookings, so a firm hand on billing for cancellations would surely go some way to sorting the problem.

Regardless, bailing without any word is crap.

• Upvote 1

I cancelled due to being stranded in England 2 days in advance and they said I still had to pay full price. I thought this was really unfair as we gave him (slightly over?) 48 hours and had turned up on time and paid in full all of our previous practices, so I don't go back there now. It's a shame what's happening but I think there needs to be a concrete policy that's enforced so everyone knows where they stand.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out we were actually one of the bands who missed our slot in the days leading up to Tom's rant. Woods broke his arm and we each thought one of the others was going to call and cancel. Oops.

We, like Teabags' lot, always square up the next time we're in too, though. And yes, Tom is a total gent. The staff at Tom's are one my the main reasons I prefer Tom's to MV.

xx

Guest Young Adolesent

i guess im one of lukcy ones who  cancelled he didnt charge me if i rescheduled it, toms an absolute nice guy, tbh ive never been to musical vision never seems to be  open when im down that way