aberdeen-music

What Microphones are best?

eat your parents

Guest highroller

Well i just bought new mics for the lock up!

Audio technica ones! The pro 4l is a decent mic! Go to atmosphere light and sound and the guy there, Brian, is ace!

Get my SHure sm58 on the day of our gig on the 25 th for my own use and cant wait hehe!

The pro4l is a good mic and it was 60

As far as dynamic mics go, SM58s are still standard for vocals (cos they can take a lot of abuse), SM 57s for guitar, snare, most brass.

The only real problems with dynamic mics are: the bass proximity effect (more than an inch or two away and the bottom end practically disappears), and the lack of sensitivity to high frequencies (typically not much after 15KHz).

It all depends on what you need the mics for. If you're recording then invest in a decent large diaphragm condenser.

If it's for live work, your own vocal mics are all you really need (unless you require a lot of DIs). This is mostly for hygiene prurposes (you never know who's been spitting in the mic before you and germs do love the hot, humid atmosphere of gigs), but some vocalists benefit from having a particular type of mic.

And I would suggest a national company to buy something like mics. You won't need technical backup, which buyiing locally normally assures you but large companies don't, and it'll be significantly cheaper cos they can buy in bulk.

Probably worth adding that a pop shield is a worthy investment / blue peter DIY job if you are planning on recording vocals. I thought my SM58 was broken until I started using a pop shield, suddenly the sound came to life. Bit of EQ and fanny's your aunt. I didn't have any tights at the time (all in the wash), so I just used cling film and poked lots of holes in it. It still worked very well actually, except for the occasional wispy-crisp-packet-floating-in-the-wind kind of noise.

There's always e-bay for purchases too... I've seen a couple of nice Rode mics on there. Oh yeah, with condenser mics, don't you usually need phantom power?

Originally posted by spellchecker

Probably worth adding that a pop shield is a worthy investment / blue peter DIY job if you are planning on recording vocals. I thought my SM58 was broken until I started using a pop shield, suddenly the sound came to life. Bit of EQ and fanny's your aunt. I didn't have any tights at the time (all in the wash), so I just used cling film and poked lots of holes in it. It still worked very well actually, except for the occasional wispy-crisp-packet-floating-in-the-wind kind of noise.

There's always e-bay for purchases too... I've seen a couple of nice Rode mics on there. Oh yeah, with condenser mics, don't you usually need phantom power?

Condensers do need an external power source. Budget models usually have a battery compartment, medium range require phantom and the big boys have their own power supplies.

Condensers typically have lower SPL (sound pressure level) handling ability. Check before sticking them in a kick drum or in front of a bass cab.

Originally posted by soundian

And I would suggest a national company to buy something like mics. You won't need technical backup, which buyiing locally normally assures you but large companies don't, and it'll be significantly cheaper cos they can buy in bulk.

Next time you are stuck for something that you don't need technical back up with like speaker cable for instance I will suggest that you phone a National Company?

I have lots used 58's for sale. They have been used lots and look a bit tatty but they sound 100% Proof of their build quality. you can stick a new mic grill on them for about a fiver.

Originally posted by David

shure sm57 and sm58's are the industry standards in vocal and instrument mics, indestructible and sound great

i think behringer do some pretty cheap copys of them if your short on cash

David

Err, no microphone is "indestructible" - including 58's & 57's. People only think they "sound great" because they are pretty much the only mics that people have heard as they are "industry standard". If you pay a little more money, you can get the beta 58 which is an up to date version of the 58. Not too bad. EV (Electrovoice) do some nice cheap and not so cheap dynamic mics, as do Sennheiser (their evolution series is very cheap!)

The Behringer copys are actually rather good. I have three (although I left one in a bell tower for 9 months :O I haven't checked it yet.) Only problem is getting hold of some.

Badger.

PS David - where did you get your avatar. I want it!!

I've never heard Behringer mics but I'm surprised that you rate them considering most of their equipment is 'cheap'n'cheerful'.

Mind you, I have had one engineer say that he's A/B'ed Behringers reference mic with several others and the small difference is not worth the extra 500+ quid.

Anyone ever used one of these cos 350 for a reference mic is feckin cheap and I'm tempted.

I have used the reference mic your talking about with an original Behringer Ultra Curve (when they were still expensive!) It was used in RTA mode and just picked up the sound from the band(s) to help with feedback elimination and ringing out the monitors. Bit lame really coz thats wot your ears are for!

I haven't used the behringer dynamics in a gig situation, but for the money, they are a very good buy!!

I was thinking along the lines of learning how to use the beastie with pink noise. Mostly as a backup cos I've noticed recently that I hear differently when I'm tired. It would be good to have a check.

Of course I would need to get a spectrum analyser as well so it's probably not gonna happen.

hello all, darth here leader of the evil pa empire, captain c, i have a special type of noise teat for you, not pink, not white, but.......CHARCOAL. Its the only one with an 8k sparkle adjuster.And, it works better on one legged systems, which are easy to spot cos they lean over at an angle.

And badger, get of the computer, stop breaking mics by sitting on them, and shave of the goaty, its curling under, bit like a sweepy but on yer chin.Pure dead goaty

May the force be with you

darth