aberdeen-music

Drummonds tonight (well, last night now): a wee review

HummerOfIntenseEvil

Komodo 3000 (I think that's the name): Good stuff. Second last song was very Happy Mondays-esque. Maybe it was even a cover, I dunno cos I only have the one Happy Mondays album and I don't listen to it much. In fact I only really bought it for Wrote For luck. Oh back to the song, sorry. It was good anyway. As were the rest of the songs. A few tasty riffs in there and some nice postuering by the singer. Dunno what the fuck he was saying inbetween songs, but a bit of banter is always a good thing. Another band added to my rapidly increasing list of decent Aberdeen bands.

Bench: Last time I saw them was at a battle of the bands at 'Dus when they were a three piece. Wasn't particularly impressed by them then. They have gotten worse. The ridiculous amount of feedback throughout the gig didn't help, but I'm calling the RSPCA about those cats that were strangled onstage. 15-year-old's angsty lyrics (those that I actually heard) coupled with "I wish I was Matt Bellamy, but unfortunately for you I'm not" type wailing. Me and my mates counted maybe 3 songs in a 45(?) minute set. Whether or not it was just that they all morphed into one big noisey mess is unclear. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I was outvoted 2 to 1. Whatever it was, they were pish songs. And what was with the bow? Again, maybe this was due to the feedback, but it didn't seem to be making any fucking noise, or at least none worth making. Anyway, Jimmy Page looks cool using it for Dazed And Confused; anyone else just looks like a prat.

Remember folks: just cos you're mad at your dad, it's no reason to take it out on the audience's ears.

Little Kicks: This was the best Little Kicks gig I've been to yet. Shame about strings breaking on TWO guitars (the second one was nicely dealt with by Stefan Henchoz at the end), but the sound levels were spot on, which to be (un?)fair is a rarity at a Little Kicks gig! Good to actually hear what Toby was playing for once (eeet's worth it wah wah WOO wah), and the drums and bass are sounding better nowadays (dunno if that's due to the new arrivals or if I'm usually just too pissed to notice). The new songs are great, the last one inparticular being a bit of a (T). "On the whole a very good effort, seven on ten. Let's make love" (Partridge, series 2 episode 5).

I'm deducting a point for the lack of Manics or Clash covers, and also so it would fit in with the Partridge quote.

I think the date of Sept 11 for the next Drummonds gig is wrong. Kloth Monkey are, as far as I'm aware, booked to play that date (it's a Saturday) although there is a rumour that they're not. Charity gigs are generally not held on Fridays/Saturdays as well, which adds to my confusion.

Any idea what's happening anyone?

Haha! Thanks!

I've always thought I had a talent for scathing reviews. I'm particularly proud of the "I think I'm Matt Bellamy but unfortunately for you I'm not" line :)

Dude, somehow i seem to be very single minded at the mo, but quite frankly i think you are being a whiny, biggoted dickhead about this whole thing. I dont usually take the complete piss of anyone on AUBL but this whole thread has influenced me to do so!

Firstly, do you have any good music taste whatsoever? Has listening to AC/DC and hell is for heroes made your mind all screwed up? You obviously dont have a single clue about what you are talking about! and being all smug about slagging a decent band is pretty low too.

Bench is possibly one of the best bands that has ever entered the aberdeen music scene! Their sigur ros influenced music has made an adverse effect on me and my peers, even if the gig that night wasnt the best they have played. and what is wrong with playing just 3 songs in 45 mins? if a band is able to pull it off then you should give them some credit, not slag them! If you listen to godspeed you black emperor or explosions in the sky then you should be able to notice this, but obviously you are too narrow minded to do so!

who gives a shit even if you percieve their songs to be about teenage angst, it makes good listening and maybe your DRUG influenced music is sooooo much better than this....my bloody ass.

obviously you must be quite inexperienced in using constructive criticism because bench's emotional, overwhelming music is what makes them amazing, basically the aberdeen music scene is shit without them, and in short

go fuck yourself you single minded twat

oh and

sorry for my outburst, people with your shitty criticisms get on my nerves you elitist pig, who oh so loves himself!

Guest Sundaram

Hey lay off min, he digs my demo's!!!

The Traveller: http://www.neuscan.com/the_traveller.mp3

Together we stand Inseparable in Love: http://www.neuscan.com/Untitled.wma

Vrindavan: http://www.neuscan.com/Vrindavan.wma

Sundaram part one: http://www.neuscan.com/sundaram_part_one.mp3

Sundaram part two: http://www.neuscan.com/rupa--mix_1.wma

Dude' date=' somehow i seem to be very single minded at the mo, but quite frankly i think you are being a whiny, biggoted dickhead about this whole thing. I dont usually take the complete piss of anyone on AUBL but this whole thread has influenced me to do so!

Firstly, do you have any good music taste whatsoever? Has listening to AC/DC and hell is for heroes made your mind all screwed up? You obviously dont have a single clue about what you are talking about! and being all smug about slagging a decent band is pretty low too.

Bench is possibly one of the best bands that has ever entered the aberdeen music scene! Their sigur ros influenced music has made an adverse effect on me and my peers, even if the gig that night wasnt the best they have played. and what is wrong with playing just 3 songs in 45 mins? if a band is able to pull it off then you should give them some credit, not slag them! If you listen to godspeed you black emperor or explosions in the sky then you should be able to notice this, but obviously you are too narrow minded to do so!

who gives a shit even if you percieve their songs to be about teenage angst, it makes good listening and maybe your DRUG influenced music is sooooo much better than this....my bloody ass.

obviously you must be quite inexperienced in using constructive criticism because bench's emotional, overwhelming music is what makes them amazing, basically the aberdeen music scene is shit without them, and in short

oh and

sorry for my outburst, people with your shitty criticisms get

on my nerves you elitist pig, who oh so loves himself![/quote']

Dude' date=' somehow i seem to be very single minded at the mo, but quite frankly i think you are being a whiny, biggoted dickhead about this whole thing. I dont usually take the complete piss of anyone on AUBL but this whole thread has influenced me to do so!

oh and

sorry for my outburst, people with your shitty criticisms get on my nerves you elitist pig, who oh so loves himself![/size']

I suspect Bench don't really need, or want, your 'outburst' defending them from what was basically just an expression of an opinion. Not half as well written as he seems to think right enough, but valid just the same. Any band worth bothering with can easily handle someone not liking them. If they can't, it's time to do something else...

oh and

sorry for my outburst, people with your shitty criticisms get on my nerves you elitist pig, who oh so loves himself![/quote']

whats the matter? cant take critism?

I for one, have a similar view on your mates band.

Not impressed in the slightest, you're trying to be clever but come across as pricks.. the above post makes you look like a prick.

There are people that don't like your mates band.

Deal with it.

PS: Apolgies for the previous muddle.

Dude' date=' somehow i seem to be very single minded at the mo, but quite frankly i think you are being a whiny, biggoted dickhead about this whole thing. I dont usually take the complete piss of anyone on AUBL but this whole thread has influenced me to do so!![/quote']

And it's aberdeen Music we're on' date=' not AUBL

That's the sort of broad mindedness we need round here.

Bench is possibly one of the best bands that has ever entered the aberdeen music scene! Their sigur ros influenced music has made an adverse effect on me and my peers' date=' even if the gig that night wasnt the best they have played .[/quote']

An adverse affect?

and what is wrong with playing just 3 songs in 45 mins? if a band is able to pull it off then you should give them some credit' date=' not slag them! If you listen to godspeed you black emperor or explosions in the sky then you should be able to notice this, but obviously you are too narrow minded to do so.[/quote']

I agree, he's missed listening to 2 bands out of millions. Narrowed minded bigot.

who gives a shit even if you percieve their songs to be about teenage angst' date=' it makes good listening and maybe your DRUG influenced music is sooooo much better than this....my bloody ass.[/quote']

You obviously give a shit. One mans opinion against anothers though.

obviously you must be quite inexperienced in using constructive criticism because bench's emotional' date=' overwhelming music is what makes them amazing, basically the aberdeen music scene is shit without them, and in short

oh and

sorry for my outburst, people with your shitty criticisms get on my nerves you elitist pig, who oh so loves himself![/quote']

Elitist pig? Pots and kettles.

Guest Sundaram
whats the matter? cant take critism?

I for one' date=' have a similar view on your band.

Not impressed in the slightest, you're trying to be clever but come across as pricks.. the above post confirms my thoughts.

There are people that don't like your band.

Deal with it.[/quote']

Three things:

1) Birdman is/was in a band with RomanChoke!

2) You are in Real Shocks - hahahahehehe!

3) You have Ryan Adams as an avatatr - hahahahehehe!

I wasn't going to bother replying, since it appears everyone else seems to have already told you what an arse you are. And probably in better terms than I will since I'd rather not just repeat what they've said. But then I thought "why not?"

Firstly' date=' do you have any good music taste whatsoever? Has listening to AC/DC and hell is for heroes made your mind all screwed up? You obviously dont have a single clue about what you are talking about! and being all smug about slagging a decent band is pretty low too.[/quote']

To be honest, I take a dim view on anyone who criticises AC/DC, because their riffs are scientifically proven to make your body move, even against it's own will. But not as much as someone who uses "about" twice in the same sentence. It smacks of someone who has forgotten about what their point is about... (ho ho ho)

Bench is possibly one of the best bands that has ever entered the aberdeen music scene! Their sigur ros influenced music has made an adverse effect on me and my peers' date=' even if the gig that night wasnt the best they have played. and what is wrong with playing just 3 songs in 45 mins? if a band is able to pull it off then you should give them some credit, not slag them! If you listen to godspeed you black emperor or explosions in the sky then you should be able to notice this, but obviously you are too narrow minded to do so![/quote']

You're right, if a band can pull it off, I SHOULD credit them. So maybe there's a reason why I didn't...

who gives a shit even if you percieve their songs to be about teenage angst' date=' it makes good listening and maybe your DRUG influenced music is sooooo much better than this....my bloody ass.[/quote']

Hmmm.... if you knew a THING about the Manics and The Clash (as well as myself), you'd know they're reknown for being very anti-drugs. And then there's Mike Patton, who doesn't even drink booze. Personally, I think you'd have to be ON drugs to enjoy Bench. But here's something a bit more interesting...

Listening to: QOTSA

And we ALL know that they NEVER touch drugs' date=' don't we? :rolleyes:

obviously you must be quite inexperienced in using constructive criticism because bench's emotional, overwhelming

(ly shit)

music is what makes them amazing' date=' basically the aberdeen music scene is shit without them, and in short

oh and

Strange that until recently, Bench were one of the reasons I thought the Aberdeen music scene WAS shite. Elitist pig? Yes, that's why out of the three bands I saw that night, Bench was the only one I criticised. Also, it's strange how the guy who is actually IN the band seems to have taken the criticism on the chin (bit of respect due there), whereas you went and threw your toys out of the pram. Fool.

Guest Sundaram

To be honest' date=' I take a dim view on anyone who criticises AC/DC, because their riffs are scientifically proven to make your body move, even against it's own will. But not as much as someone who uses "about" twice in the same sentence. It smacks of someone who has forgotten about what their point is about... (ho ho ho).[/quote']

Hahaha, your ace/funny!

:up:

1) Philip, I know who Birdman is.... and to be honest he's a super chap anytime I've spoken to him... however in the post he looked like a prick.... so I said he was being a prick. Ta-da.

2) *points to profile at side of page* ;)

3) Ryan Adams is good.... and hot *storms away to weap into beret*

:D