aberdeen-music

Assert?

Guest allsystemsfail

Guest allsystemsfail
steve here' date=' sneaking about on mr.gaunts pc!

ruptured spleen played with them last time at drakes, where we pretty much ad-libbed a really shoddy set, anyways...

i think assert were a disgrace that night, for the way they treated everyone around them from other bands on the bill to the audience.drummer asides (rip) they were arrogant, ignorant and elitist to the point 3/4 of the audience left ten minutes into the set, much to their(asserts) annoyance.it taught me plenty about the hardcore scene, what a fucking joke.

go watch hell is for heroes folks, at least they wont judge you on your hairstyle.

better still watch bryan adams the same night and sing summer of 69 with a proud fist in the air.[/quote']

I was at that show, but do not recollect any behaviour I thought a disgrace. I remember no criticisms of the other bands. Bodies played too. Hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Regarding folks leaving - I do know that several left, not because of Assert, but to go to The Palace. Also, if Assert were as ignorant and arrogant as you say, why then did Jeeves choose to book them again? They were gonna play just a few months later - with Contra, but had to pull out of the show.

I was at that show' date=' but do not recollect any behaviour I thought a disgrace. I remember no criticisms of the other bands. Bodies played too. Hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Regarding folks leaving - I do know that several left, not because of Assert, but to go to The Palace. Also, if Assert were as ignorant and arrogant as you say, why then did Jeeves choose to book them again? They were gonna play just a few months later - with Contra, but had to pull out of the show.[/quote']

yeah i dont remember anything like that either....i only have memories of liking them a lot....wouldn't have gotten them back otherwise

sharon

I was at that show' date=' but do not recollect any behaviour I thought a disgrace. I remember no criticisms of the other bands. Bodies played too. Hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Regarding folks leaving - I do know that several left, not because of Assert, but to go to The Palace. Also, if Assert were as ignorant and arrogant as you say, why then did Jeeves choose to book them again? They were gonna play just a few months later - with Contra, but had to pull out of the show.[/quote']

i got my first real six string...

maybe they were nice to jeeves?

bought it at the five and dime...

i dont think verbally berating a crowd of people to the point they stare in unison at the ground then leave en masse is a cool thing to do.i spoke to loads of peeps at the palace that night and the reason they left was down to fear of getting picked on, not the palace closing time.maybe fair game at a jerry sadowitz gig, but a hardcore one, many peoples first at that?

played it till my fingers bled...

i was with the band from mid afternoon onwards so have a slightly more in depth view (unfortunately) of how the thing that was assert worked back then.suffice to say, it wasnt big, clever, pretty or smart.maybe its all different now.

that was the summer of 69...

hey, i have to apologise for negatively hijacking this thread, total can of worms and all that.its just my views on the night are polar opposites from others and its sometimes nice to get a few different sides.shame it all happened really, i was certainly disapointed.

cant remember the rest of the words...

i shouldnt have suggested people dont go to the gig, not fair at all. everyone, go to the gig! have fun! or i'll kick your fucking teeth down your throat like, cos i'm hardcore and you arent.ahem.

I was at the last Assert gig at Old Drakes and Britt, the singer, was a smashing guy. I remember shouting into the mic when it was offered to me and thinking it was a fantastic gig. Their drummer died about a year ago so their whole attitude might have gone either way - Pissed off or a bit more pragmatic. Anyways, they have killer tunes and I cannae wait.

Guest allsystemsfail
i got my first real six string...

maybe they were nice to jeeves?

bought it at the five and dime...

i dont think verbally berating a crowd of people to the point they stare in unison at the ground then leave en masse is a cool thing to do.i spoke to loads of peeps at the palace that night and the reason they left was down to fear of getting picked on' date=' not the palace closing time.maybe fair game at a jerry sadowitz gig, but a hardcore one, many peoples first at that?

played it till my fingers bled...

i was with the band from mid afternoon onwards so have a slightly more in depth view (unfortunately) of how the thing that was assert worked back then.suffice to say, it wasnt big, clever, pretty or smart.maybe its all different now.

that was the summer of 69...

hey, i have to apologise for negatively hijacking this thread, total can of worms and all that.its just my views on the night are polar opposites from others and its sometimes nice to get a few different sides.shame it all happened really, i was certainly disapointed.

cant remember the rest of the words...

i shouldnt have suggested people dont go to the gig, not fair at all. everyone, go to the gig! have fun! or i'll kick your fucking teeth down your throat like, cos i'm hardcore and you arent.ahem.[/quote']

Verbally berating people? I don't remeber that at all, or any resulting embarrassment. Sure, I do remember one comment regarding a person's hair, but that was all.

Of course, I cannot comment on Assert's behaviour prior to the show as I wasn't there. Can you provide me with a little more detail?

after two songs the singer did a round of everyone, commenting in a totally shitty manner towards peoples t-shirts, hair etc.one more song and he did it again, and the pub almost emptied.now i personally dont give a fuck what people throw at me, but it was grim to watch him alienate a whole group of people who had taken the time to pay in and wait for them to play.fair enough at a whitehouse gig with sotos at the helm but come on...

as for various other moans and groans, they are my moans and groans and long past.just interesting to see other peoples views on the band.obvious people disagree but thats how life tends to work and i wouldnt want it any other way.it simply wasnt a hardcore gig for me.the last broken oath gig at new drakes was what i'd call a hardcore gig.

Guest allsystemsfail
after two songs the singer did a round of everyone' date=' commenting in a totally shitty manner towards peoples t-shirts, hair etc.one more song and he did it again, and the pub almost emptied.now i personally dont give a fuck what people throw at me, but it was grim to watch him alienate a whole group of people who had taken the time to pay in and wait for them to play.fair enough at a whitehouse gig with sotos at the helm but come on...

as for various other moans and groans, they are my moans and groans and long past.just interesting to see other peoples views on the band.obvious people disagree but thats how life tends to work and i wouldnt want it any other way.it simply wasnt a hardcore gig for me.the last broken oath gig at new drakes was what i'd call a hardcore gig.[/quote']

Britt made insulting remarks about every individual there? I really don't remember this at all. He certainly said nothing to me, or to the people I was with.

Regarding folks leaving, I can think of one group of people who left before Assert had even played a note. They'd gone off to The Palace.

Anyway, I gotta say that I'm not that big on hardcore. Never have been. As I'm sure you will know, anarcho-punk is my thing. Listen to very little else.

Brett made insulting remarks about every individual there? I really don't remember this at all. He certainly said nothing to me' date=' or to the people I was with.

Regarding folks leaving, I can think of one group of people who left before Assert had even played a note. They'd gone off to The Palace.

Anyway, I gotta say that I'm not that big on hardcore. Never have been. As I'm sure you will know, anarcho-punk is my thing. Listen to very little else.[/quote']

sorry, i was a bitty vague, i meant everyone as in he scanned the room from one side to the other making comment en route where he saw fit.

i like most amebix, doom, discharge etc but i tend to try to avoid music where i feel the message overweighs the music if you know what i mean.i cannot stand being preached to or lectured either lyrically or vocally from a stage, one of my major beefs with the whole punk/hardcore thing.

Guest allsystemsfail

i like most amebix' date=' doom, discharge etc but i tend to try to avoid music where i feel the message overweighs the music if you know what i mean.i cannot stand being preached to or lectured either lyrically or vocally from a stage, one of my major beefs with the whole punk/hardcore thing.[/quote']

Sure, I completely understand. Me? Punks commitment to leftist/anarchist ideas is what I find most exciting about it - that it is part of a wider struggle, taking political action against animal abuse, racial prejudice, war, the devastation of the environment... I've often found myself checking out bands without having heard them - you know, just on the basis of their politics.

the singer guy did indeed comment on a lot of the people there. he also spoke like he says the same thing every night and he's spent a lot of time studying what he says so he sounds super intelligent.

great band though.

i take that the drum machine is instead of a replacement for their drummer. he died a couple of years ago?

Guest Andrew Griswold

They had Carl Stokes drumming for a while but he left to reform Cancer so they got the drum machine. Before that, they asked every UK punk drummer to join (including me - twice) but Britt is a bit much for most of us, I reckon!

To me, they hit their peak with Chris Burleigh and the Insurrection Rocks album/tour. I've seen them twice with the drum machine and it's very different - like Atari Teenage Riot gone grindcore or something. Very extreme.

We've played countless gigs with them over the years and they are nice guys at heart. Britt is extremely aggressive/bullish but that's just his way...