aberdeen-music

The Real Booze Thread

ca_gere

I can only relay what I know about the recent history of the distillery, but assumptions can then be made about why Bruichladdich seems to be quite ubiquitous just now.

It was quite a fiercely independent and 'boutique' distillery for a while, and production wasn't huge due to the distillery avoiding modernisation and automation - each stage of production was done manually, which is quite unusual for distilleries these days - and the distillery was not operating at full capacity.

In 2012 the distillery and brand was purchased by Remy Cointreau, and I suspect they had a plan to invest quite heavily in their marketing policy. Most bars with any sort of whisky selection now tend to stock Bruichladdich, particularly the Laddie 10, and almost all whisky shops stock a couple of their expressions. This definitely wasn't the case until about a year ago.

They have started to maximise production, so they have a lot more stock to work with, and consequently they've invested heavily in international markets, which is probably why you'll be seeing it regularly over in the States.

The Laddie 10 is quite a nice malt, but I recently received training on the full range of Bruichladdich expressions, and some of them are seriously dire, because they are still very young malts (which is why most of their whiskies do not contain an age statement). 

They have released an expression called The Octomore, which they claim is the most heavily peated malt in the world, but it's just a fucking fad and tastes like Lucifer's scorched ejaculate. It's a pander to the bravado that exists in the Scotch market: "Oooh, I only like smokey whiskies - you can keep your honeyed fruity shite." Yeah whatever, asshole.

Give Bruichladdich another 10 years, and I think some of their malts will be excellent. But for now, most of their malts are just too young to taste good.

The most complete answer to my question possible. Thanks for the info! I had an inkling there was a marketing ramp-up going on because it just seemed to pop up all of a sudden. They have really nice modern packaging, which I think helps.

The most complete answer to my question possible. Thanks for the info! I had an inkling there was a marketing ramp-up going on because it just seemed to pop up all of a sudden. They have really nice modern packaging, which I think helps.

I think it's the Brucihladdich distillery that that bird went to in the Vice Munchies series, no? Not that that's any reason why it would be appearing everywhere.

Impulse bought this last weekend. It's nothing like a real bourbon or even Jack Daniels but it's very tasty. One of the nicest new liquors I've tried in a while actually. Drank it straight the whole time but it'd make a great cocktail so gonna try that next time.

jackdanielshoney.jpg

It's very drinkable neat, which is surprising, as I find Jack Daniels to be a little bland on its own.

I don't like this stuff dropped in a glass of Coke though. It just tastes like I've lumped a spoon of brown sugar in. For a Bourbon and Coke, I've not had anything better than the Black Cherry Jim Beam. Love that stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been enjoying the varieties of Troubador beer in recent weeks, specifically Magma and Blonde. Slaapmutske Dry Hop is also up there lately, which is odd because I don't normally go for hoppy beers, but there's a lovely malt taste to it.

In terms of Whisky, I drink less nowadays, but I've enjoyed Laphroiag Quarter Cask recently. Fancy dan.

A Tennants Extra Cold please, barkeep.