aberdeen-music

The Real Booze Thread

ca_gere

I had some Brooklyn Lager for the first time ever last week. It's now my favourite beer.

It's OK, I always found it a little floral. There's one called Brooklyn Brown Ale which is supposed to be really good. The name alone amuses me as it's like a mix of New York and Geordie.

1488_BrooklynBrownAle_1311277529.jpg

"Hey you goddamn sonofabitch, I'm heading off down the bar for a bottle of broon ale, pet"

Tried some of those Jeremiah Weed brews last night. I didn't really know what they were, but saw them cheap in Morrisons in the lager section so I gave them a bash. They certainly aren't beers. They are essentially alcopops for men, I think. The Sour Mash one tastes like Whiskey and Lemonade, but with a malty taste, so it's almost beer-like. It's quite nice actually, but I was very taken back when it didn't taste like beer. The Root one just tasted like Crabbies, which I wasn't so keen on. Far too sickly.

Had a couple of Sam Adams Boston Lager too, as Morrisons now sell that. I wasn't too impressed. A little bland. Just tasted like Budweiser to me.

Morrisons now no longer sell Desperados, in favour of some Desperados copy called Amigos, which is rubbish. I was disappointed. I love that sugary chemical stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davetherave

I had snake wine once (a village bar in china that was more like someones house). I dont remember a fucking thing from that night, but I'm told I was talking a language that no one could understand and doing handsprings across the floor. I cant do handsprings when I'm sober, never mind pished on snake infused rice wine and formaldehyde :eek:

snake-wine21.jpg

I had snake wine once (a village bar in china that was more like someones house). I dont remember a fucking thing from that night, but I'm told I was talking a language that no one could understand and doing handsprings across the floor. I cant do handsprings when I'm sober, never mind pished on snake infused rice wine and formaldehyde :eek:

English???

Seriously though, that looks ridiculous. Who the hell came up with such an idea?

Snake wine is popular in Vietnam also. Supposed to improve one's libido. Here's an amusing video of my friend Phat consuming snake wine (hearts, livers and god knows what freshly dunked in, rather than pickled) with Gordon Ramsey and informing him that it's "good for sex":

They put all kinds of crazy stuff in rice wine/vodka... a seahorse is probably the weirdest thing I've seen.

Guest davetherave

I actually like rice wine, particularly Japanese sake, but not with snakes, sea horses or any other animals in it :)

Speaking of Vodka, it goes really well with anything, particularly the big milkshakes you get in Hard Rock cafes and american diners.

• 1 month later...

have recently discovered this:

dark_and_stormy.jpg

lovely summer drink. I generally don't like cocktails because most are sickly sweet but this is perfect on a hot day.

Another summer drink i've yet to try because it sounds horrific but I've seen it advertised in a lot of places is the "Beer Slushy".

Also, I've noticed there's a real trend in new york for serving drinks in old jam jars. Has that caught on back home yet? I'm fully against it. Aaaah summer drinking!

Anyone else's tipple change wildly depending on the season?

Yeah, you can get this stuff called Jeremiah Weed and they make their own glasses which are like jamjars with handles

I'd recommend that, before buying any bottles of Jeremiah Weed, don't buy any bottles of Jeremiah Weed. Foul stuff. The Sour Mash one was sort of ok though I wouldn't have it again. The Root Brew one was grim as fuck. I couldn't finish it.