aberdeen-music

Are you a dj who needs more bookings?

ukdj

Are you a dj who needs more bookings? Or a promoter searching for a talented DJ to play at your event? Then look no further than http://www.UK-Djs.net

http://www.UK-Djs.net has an ever expanding database of talented, committed DJs from all music styles, who can be contacted and booked through UK-Djs.net AND we do not charge a booking fee as you can contact the djs directly by email!

If you would like to apply to www.UK-Djs.net e-mail details of your experience, and the music you play, to enquiries@uk-djs.net

To book a dj, go to http://www.uk-djs.net

Guest Stripey
I spy no hip hop or rock DJing for a start :p

I'd like more but nae experienced as of yet in the electronica/dance side of things methinks. Skates on time! Don't want to be left behind in the uk-dj revolution! :up:

Rock dj'ing doesn't count tho really does it.

I'd be interested to know how many of the "dj's" from places like exodus, moshulu and drakes can actually mix with skill. I mean, those guys just bung on cd's, right?

I'd be interested to know how many of the "dj's" from places like exodus' date=' moshulu and drakes can actually mix with skill. I mean, those guys just bung on cd's, right?[/quote']

We try our best at Elizium, with mixed results depending on drunkeness etc. I suppose we're an exception, given that the majority of what we're playing is regular beats, either heavily electronic or mixable industrial.

The majority of rock/punk foo obviously isn't going to lend itself to a beatmatched impeccibly mixed night. Technical wankery aside, the same crowd-reading skills apply. In my opinion, I find DJ'ing a rock/indie/whatever night more stressful than a well-mixed beat-based night because I find myself thinking more about the crowd reaction than the technicalities of the mix. Most rock/punk/alt/indie DJ's seem more adept at thinking on their feet, less reliant on pre-planned sets. Although, granted, there's the sacrifice of spot-on mixing which is a thrill to hear live. Or, er, is that just my sad side?

I'd be interested to know how many of the "dj's" from places like exodus' date=' moshulu and drakes can actually mix with skill. I mean, those guys just bung on cd's, right?[/quote']

None of them. It's some sort of CD Auto mixer they use...on friday nights anyway. They had a pretty decent drum n bass dj in one thursday night, pity there wasnt much of an audience.

Speaking personally' date=' every mix I've ever done at Exodus has been in the traditional fashion, ie using a mixer to fade one track into another manually. [/quote']

Ditto Moshulu. Though I would agree that the skills required as a rock DJ are very different to dance/hip-hop/electronica/whatever DJs, a lot more technical skill is required IMO, it's more important to be able to read a crowd and play people's requests DJing rock IMO. I think rock crowds are way more critical odf what you're playing rather than how you're playing it.

why does rock djing not count?

Mixing two records with decks isnt that hard anyway. Granted that the more complex stuff, like knowing when and where to cut the bass and using the mids and trebles in the right way, does take time and effort. but as has been said when mixing rock music that just isnt possible most of the time. what with different beats time signatures and all that.

Surely these guys have as much right to be called djs as the guys who play sets in drum and Kef everyweekend its just a different style of the same thing isnt it?

Speaking personally' date=' every mix I've ever done at Exodus has been in the traditional fashion, ie using a mixer to fade one track into another manually. I've never even seen one of these "cd auto mixers" of which you speak[/quote']

It's the same at Drakes, Moorings and Moshulu as well. Nae auto mixers going on there either.

Guest Stripey
Ditto Moshulu. Though I would agree that the skills required as a rock DJ are very different to dance/hip-hop/electronica/whatever DJs' date=' a lot more technical skill is required IMO, it's more important to be able to read a crowd and play people's requests DJing rock IMO. I think rock crowds are way more critical odf what you're playing rather than how you're playing it.[/quote']

Well, reading a crowd applies to ALL dj'ing in my opinion, hiphop/dnb crowds are just as critical of what you are playing as any other crowd (except maybe the yates wine bar 30+ working mum crowd) but the mixing is part of the performance, the best mixing is transparent, and the idea is a seamless flow of music which steadily progresses in a particular direction....hiphop/dnb/house/trance nights are about the fresh, the new experience, it's a showcase for new tunes and the audience demands that - which is why I can't understand the way rock clubs work.

Well' date=' reading a crowd applies to ALL dj'ing in my opinion, hiphop/dnb crowds are just as critical of what you are playing as any other crowd (except maybe the yates wine bar 30+ working mum crowd) but the mixing is part of the performance, the best mixing is transparent, and the idea is a seamless flow of music which steadily progresses in a particular direction....hiphop/dnb/house/trance nights are about the fresh, the new experience, it's a showcase for new tunes and the audience demands that - which is why I can't understand the way rock clubs work.[/quote']

I dunno man - I'm not sure what clubs you frequent, if any, but at Liquid or whatever I've never seen a DJ getting harassed to play a certain artist as you would in the Moorings for AC/DC or whatever. Reading the crowd is just as important in all DJing but I've known people to dance for nearly an hour to songs that they've never heard. In the same way I've seen people dance or at least nod their head enthusiastically/enquire as to what the song was when they've never heard it before when I've been DJing mostly rock stuff. It's a different ballgame really I guess as it'd be harder to mix different rock tracks together but I think that dance crowds accept new tracks a hell of a lot easier than rock crowds...

....hiphop/dnb/house/trance nights are about the fresh' date=' the new experience, it's a showcase for new tunes and the audience demands that - which is why I can't understand the way rock clubs work.[/quote']

Ive been to a lot of nights like these and you find that even in nights like them the crowd reacts best to the tunes they know and enjoy just like in rock clubs.

i guarentee if you go to a dave clarke night he will play pontape(sp) or Bk will play still high at some point during his set cause the crowd want to hear them just like people im moshulu want to hear songs they know and enjoy.

Guest Stripey
Ive been to a lot of nights like these and you find that even in nights like them the crowd reacts best to the tunes they know and enjoy just like in rock clubs.

i guarentee if you go to a dave clarke night he will play pontape(sp) or Bk will play still high at some point during his set cause the crowd want to hear them just like people im moshulu want to hear songs they know and enjoy.

The difference is, with dnb/house nights, the tunes that people know and love, and set the dancefloor off, change from month to month as new stuff comes out. This is the equivalent of live gigs with rock stuff, the clubs are the forum for new talent and new material, its not about latching onto safe old classics and caining them over and over. If a new tune is good, and really gets things going, then it will get more popular, stuff which is shit fades and dissapears, its all about the constant flow of new material, the search for the fresh, and this can only be a good thing for any music scene.

You simply cannot compare that sort of vibrant LIVING culture, to the kind of "rock" nights you get here. This is why I compared them to a school disco, in another thread.

The difference is' date=' with dnb/house nights, the tunes that people know and love, and set the dancefloor off, change from month to month as new stuff comes out. This is the equivalent of live gigs with rock stuff, the clubs are the forum for new talent and new material, its not about latching onto safe old classics and caining them over and over. If a new tune is good, and really gets things going, then it will get more popular, stuff which is shit fades and dissapears, its all about the constant flow of new material, the search for the fresh, and this can only be a good thing for any music scene.

You simply cannot compare that sort of vibrant LIVING culture, to the kind of "rock" nights you get here. This is why I compared them to a school disco, in another thread.[/quote']

But isnt that exactly the same with a rock club? they play new stuff and i f people like it they want to hear it again. as i say ive seen Dave Clarke heaps of times now and every time he still brings out the classic tunes that people want to hear. the same songs hes had in his set i dare say from when hes startes. obviously there will be new tunes as well but thats the same everywhere you go. I cant say that the House/Electro scene is anymore exciting than anyother.

Guest Stripey
But isnt that exactly the same with a rock club? they play new stuff and i f people like it they want to hear it again. as i say ive seen Dave Clarke 6 times now and every time he still brings out the classic tunes that people want to hear. the same songs hes had in his set i dare say from when hes startes. obviously there will be new tunes as well but thats the same everywhere you go. I cant say that the House/Electro scene is anymore exciting than anyother.

Man you don't have a clue. I really mean it. Do you even know what a dubplate is? Dave Clarke is a pisspoor radio1-friendly DJ and that is NOT the underground scene. You know what, it's not even worth my time explaining this shit to you. FOAD immediately please, you farmers do my fucking head in.

Man you don't have a clue. I really mean it. Do you even know what a dubplate is? Dave Clarke is a pisspoor radio1-friendly DJ and that is NOT the underground scene. You know what' date=' it's not even worth my time explaining this shit to you. FOAD immediately please, you farmers do my fucking head in.[/quote']

Haha you truely are a cock stripey thanks!

Thats some anwser take you long to think that one out?

If a new tune is good' date=' and really gets things going, then it will get more popular, stuff which is shit fades and dissapears, its all about the constant flow of new material, the search for the fresh, and this can only be a good thing for any music scene.

You simply cannot compare that sort of vibrant LIVING culture, to the kind of "rock" nights you get here. This is why I compared them to a school disco, in another thread.[/quote']

Well, given your description, you can. Easily. If Ross, for example, starts playing a new song and it gets a good response it gets played a bit later next time, and so forth until the stagnant tunes are shifted around and replaced with the songs that have gained popularity. I certainly used to do that when DJ'ing MUD, and we definitely do it (at a higher turn over) at Elizium. Aside from probably half an hour tops of the 'big hitters' of rock music, I hardly recognise the playlist for a Bond*age now compared to when I was light jocking it for Ross. It may not be to my full taste anymore, but it's undeniably evolved and changed dramatically as the new music has emerged.

I've been to some fantastic dance nights with some flawless mixing, and I must admit it is fun to keep on dancing - And yep, the best mixing is the stuph you hardly notice. Smooth. I'll enjoy either type of event. But irregardless of genre (rock or dance or d'n'b) the DJ just cruises on the back of other people's talents. The cult of the DJ is ridiculous.