aberdeen-music

Tunings

psydoll

I was thinking so too...perhaps someone can ask Neil to move it. Then it'll get more views. As for my band we play everything in standard tuning or dropped D. Though there are a few ideas floating around in other tunings. When I play guitar myself then I too opt for standard or dropped D but I am now exploring using a capo and some different tunings..especially for slide!

I've discovered a tuning that goes Db Ab Db Db Db Db. I really like it.

That's insane. Some of the tunings Sonic Youth use are bizarre like that one. I just mess about in standard and make up chords, and sometimes tune one up or down a tone or a half to get a nice ring (eg, E's tuned to F#, or something). I never drop anything more than a step though, especially the lowest string; it doesnt sound quite right to me if there's a low C or something. I sometimes use a capo as well... on the 2nd fret just sounds nice to me.

• 2 weeks later...

that Db Ab Db Db Db Db is basically the tuning for goo goo dolls 'iris' cept semi-tone flat.

I usually play in Eb but we drop low Eb to C# sometimes for a heavier sound.

DADF#BD can be gd for slide my dads m8 uses that he's a fuckin' wizard an he's got a room full of different gtrs it's fuckin awesome goin round an opening up a case to find some vintage tele's or fenders.

Danny.

cacgce(open c)

dgdgbd(open g)

dadgad(kashmir, originally a davy graham tuning)

bbeebb(one of my own)

ebegbe(open em)

f#f#ggaa(sonic youth schizophrenia tuning)

f#a#f#a#f#

cdggcd

cgdgcd

cf#cf#cf#(nick drake tuning)

and also, just check out any dave crosby, joni mitchell, nick drake site for some of theirs, i think joni mitchell probably has invented the most open tunings period.