aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Hope Chelsea win today. I really hope AVB gets the chance to change the team and get it working how he wants and a win today would really help ease the media pressure on him and be a great boost ahead of the Valencia match.

I'm going to Camp Nou tonight. Barca against Levante. After their great run coming to an end with a couple of defeats they could have gone into a real slump but a 4-0 last week ended those worries. They should give Barca, who will be anxious to find get a good performance ahead of next week's el clasico, a good challenge.

I've grown to really hate Chelsea over the past few years. I used to not mind them: José was the boy, Drogba was a force of nature, Lampard was an excellent player and a lovely bloke. They even had Jimmy Floyd! Who doesn't love Jimmy Floyd?

Now they're completely abhorrent. Not because Lampard gets more and more prickish every season, not because they've got a team full of arseholes, but because Abramovich is clearly a complete and utter cockslipper. It was ace when Hiddink and José were there, but he treated one of the best managers (and classiest guys) in the game like absolute dirt last season, and now he might be on the verge of firing AVB. That'd be a ludicrous decision. They dilly-dallied over his employment during the summer and he had a severely curtailed transfer window, so he's ended-up with a squad that's barely his. He's trying to change Chelsea for the better and bring their philosophies into 2011, but he's got a squad full of declining, one-dimensional dinosaurs that he can't do fuck all with. It's not his fault that recent form's been a bit ropey.

AVB is, for my money, the best young manager in Europe. I know we rabbit on and on about managers not getting enough time these days, but Abramovich will be taking the piss if he gets rid of Villas-Boas. I've no doubts whatsoever that he'll go on to become one of the modern era's greatest managers.

We're gonna smash Chelsea today though. 7-0. Sammy Ameobi with the hat-trick, a couple off Demba's arse and a couple of Ryan Taylor binners. TOON ARMY.

Chelsea paid so much money to get AVB out of his contract as well, so binning him now would be absolutely mental. But a man of Roman's wealth probably gives zero fucks. There's just so little patience in football now. Fans, chairmen, owners etc all demand instant results and instant success, and it's tragic. I'm a little biased but I believe United are so successful because they have that longevity and patience. Ferguson was given many years of trying and subsequently failing before he really got it right, over and above all the calls for him to be axed. United have stood by players like Darren Fletcher who was slagged off in his teens and early 20's, and now he's the anchorman in midfield, and utterly reliable at the best of times. Same goes for Danny Welbeck who used to be LOLbad but is now an ever improving player. Chelsea don't seem to boast a similar kind of patience, and they always want a player or manager who is established and can perform instantly, rather than giving him time to settle and gel with the rest of the squad. It's actually surprising they've given so much time to Danny Sturridge, yet they've let players like Benayoun and Zhirkov go, when I believe they had alot to offer, but weren't given the time of day.

I still like alot of their players. Drogba and Ivanovic especially. Alex is pretty mint too, especially when he's smashing in free kicks at one thousand miles per hour and subsequently puncturing the ball and ripping a hole in the net. They just need to settle down. Ancelotti was a great manager. He tore the Premier League a new arsehole in his first season. He did well in his second season, but I don't believe for a minute that Torres was his buy, yet he was probably pressured into including the most out-of-form player in Europe into a team that was doing just fine without him. Getting rid of him was ridiculous, as he was doing a fine job. AVB is a good replacement, but he'll probably get the chop in June if he doesn't bring in at least one trophy.

Who know's if Roman is actually thinking about it, it's only media talk at the moment. I don't like what happened with Ancelotti any more than you do. I really wanted him to stay. However I think that is the only managerial decision I think he can really be questioned on. Otherwise as a fan I'm very happy with his ownership of the club. I'd certainly take him over most of the other super rich owners who have acquired clubs in the last few years. AVB was appointed in june. I think the failure to land some of their targets has had a bigger effect than being appointed late.

Terry still has the ability to be great but he needs the right partner, especially when playing high up the pitch.

Terry and Carvalho at their best is probably the best defensive pairing the premiership has seen in the last few years. Rio and Vidic in top form were pretty impenetrable too though.

Defeders are all shit these days compared to 10-15 years ago anyway.

Also I wont hear a bad word against Lamps. He's a top bloke, up there with Becks in that aspect.

I'd have certainly agreed with that a year or so ago. He seems to have taken to harrying referees recently, though, and he's tried to con referees into giving soft penalties a couple of times this season.

This is absolute quality though:

Terry still has the ability to be great but he needs the right partner, especially when playing high up the pitch.

Terry and Carvalho at their best is probably the best defensive pairing the premiership has seen in the last few years. Rio and Vidic in top form were pretty impenetrable too though.

Defeders are all shit these days compared to 10-15 years ago anyway.

I liken Taylor and Coloccini to a Poundland version of Terry and Carvalho. Taylor has the blood, thunder and OTT histrionics, Coloccini is not only a solid defender but comfortable with the ball at his feet and an excellent reader of the game. They're obviously not as good but the dynamic is very similar.

He seems to have taken to harrying referees recently, though, and he's tried to con referees into giving soft penalties a couple of times this season.

He wouldn't do that. It was probably someone dressed up as him trying to ruin his reputation. Frank wouldn't do anything wrong ever.

I'm interested to see what our starting line-up will be today.

I liken Taylor and Coloccini to a Poundland version of Terry and Carvalho. Taylor has the blood, thunder and OTT histrionics, Coloccini is not only a solid defender but comfortable with the ball at his feet and an excellent reader of the game. They're obviously not as good but the dynamic is very similar.

The Newcastle defence has certainly been great this season. Surely in part due to them playing pretty much the same back 4 plus keeper in every game. With more rotation happening these days you don't see as many back lines who really understand and work well with each other as you used to. That's what Jonathan Wilson was saying the other day anyway and I trust him, on everything.

I think we can beat Chelsea today, but it's going to be pretty tough without Jonas. Very under-rated player. Lots of people see him take the ball and run straight into the full-back a couple of times, then just assume he's pish. He's not. His delivery is a bit erratic but he's the only reason Ryan Taylor hasn't been completely overrun this season. He tracks back, mucks in, and his ability to carry the ball forward is vital to us. His dribbling style is quite awkward and sometimes it looks like he's bumbling past players, but he's deceptively good at cutting inside and pulling full-backs out of place. Sammy Ameobi will likely start on the wing: he gives us quickness and some genuine skill (even if it doesn't look like he's in full control of his legs at times), but I'm worried Ryan Taylor will get obliterated without Jonas.