aberdeen-music

Best "old" music you discovered in 2010?

Paranoid Android

So 2010 was a pretty great year for music, I probably listened to more new music this year than any other. However it wasn't all about new music, I've also been introduced to some great stuff of the past that I really should have listened to before.

First, The Replacements. I have to admit I hadn't even heard of the band until a few months ago. Somehow great albums like Tim and Let it Be had completely passed me by. Awesome band.

I was aware that Neil Young is always talked about as an all time great but for some reason I had always assumed he is over rated without really listening to him

:down: to me.

I've only heard On The Beach but it really is great and worthy of the praise it gets.

In a similar vein I'd always been kind of dismissive of the Rolling Stones. I think because Mick Jagger comes across as an annoying twat. However now that I've actually heard Exile on Main Street I'll be much more forgiving of him. Fucking awesome album.

Got into loads of old stuff this year. I hate most music websites and blogs and stuff so all new music I listen to is pretty much always the result of a friend's suggestion. Outside of that, I'll ocassionally just pick a well known band that people always talk about but I know nothing about and get really into them for a few weeks. Some I'm ashamed I'd never listened to before.

Bands this year: The Fall, The Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Parliament (plus a load of other funk), Tangerine Dream, Television,

Then again, none of these are 'discoveries' as such. I was aware of their existence before this year, just hadn't listened much to them. I guess the only real discovery I made was Einsterzunde Neubauten. I'd never heard of them before this year. Still can't pronounce it but love the music.

Guest Giles Walker

I finally got round to listening to Minor Threat and now i am keen to find more hardcore stuff to check out.

I also finally conceded that the 'Fondle 'Em' Hip Hop label was actually pretty damned good and i maybe missed out on some good hip hop tunes by being such a snob in my youth.