aberdeen-music

fave electronica artists

Guest Stripey

I had a mad XXL ninja tune hoodie with 'YES MATE' in pseudo-oriental lettering on it. Thing went down to my knees but I still tried to figure out ways of wearing it because it was so rad.

I think that label epitomises 90s electronica without having to get in an argument. boh?

I'd say both Ninja Tune and Warp epitomise 90s electronica. While Ninja Tune tends to have a more diverse line up (which I assume is part of your point), Warp did indeed push a lot of great artists out there.

They lose points for having Maximo Park on their label though. Astralwerks may be worth a mention also.

I'd say both Ninja Tune and Warp epitomise 90s electronica. While Ninja Tune tends to have a more diverse line up (which I assume is part of your point), Warp did indeed push a lot of great artists out there.

They lose points for having Maximo Park on their label though. Astralwerks may be worth a mention also.

True, and I was going to say that Warp are a label I associate with the weirder, less accessible end of the spectrum but I just reminded myself of who's on each label. Yeah...

I was just always surprised to find out artists were on Ninja Tune, like you say a very diverse label. At one point it felt like they were everywhere.

What about Mo Wax? Or do they fall into the 'populist' bracket due to connection with DJ Shadow? They had other good stuff on that label besides him...

Good call, that's a blast from the past. Forgot all about Luke Vibert. Dj Shadow + James Lavelle = populist unfortunately so gtfo. Psyence Fiction, Entroducing and Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight were standard issue for indie kids expanding their horizons into chill-oot-wi-a-doob music min.

DJ Krush did a few great albums on Mo Wax - 'Ki-Oku' especially, a collaboration with a Japanese trumpeter, I highly recommend for good chill out tunes...

Money Mark was also great - 'Push the Button' especially being strong, 'Mark's Keyboard Repair' was good also but patchy.

I saw the 'Headz 2' compilation in the 2nd hand section in One Up last week at a good price, worth picking up as is the original 'Headz'.

• Upvote 1

DJ Krush did a few great albums on Mo Wax - 'Ki-Oku' especially, a collaboration with a Japanese trumpeter, I highly recommend for good chill out tunes...

I think this is the only one of his I don't have... actually scrap that, just checked, there are a few.

Zen and Message at the depth are prob my favourites.

I think this is the only one of his I don't have... actually scrap that, just checked, there are a few.

Zen and Message at the depth are prob my favourites.

I think 'Milight' is that last one I have - I know I've got a lot missing but they always used to be ridiculously priced in FOPP, like 14.99 when they were several years old....need to check out Amazon....

Good call, that's a blast from the past. Forgot all about Luke Vibert. Dj Shadow + James Lavelle = populist unfortunately so gtfo. Psyence Fiction, Entroducing and Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight were standard issue for indie kids expanding their horizons into chill-oot-wi-a-doob music min.

Very nice tune there - I really need to start checking out Luke Vibert's stuff more often, as I am only familiar with some of his Wagon Christ stuff and Lover's Acid.

What about Mo Wax? Or do they fall into the 'populist' bracket due to connection with DJ Shadow? They had other good stuff on that label besides him...

Mo Wax was just about all good, til Lavelle started signing rock bands. Shadow was popular (and ace), but there was a shitload of stuff that came out like Krush, La Funk Mob, RPM, Palmskin Productions, Urban Tribe, and many others that broke ground, and still sounds like the future 15 years on, get Headz, Headz 2 (A & B) as the ultimate cannabolic headspace sound(z), I'm still looking for the Excursions comp. Also best packaging and best vinyl quality, literally made of more wax. Those days are gone, but still hugely influential in my personal musical milieu.

Ninja Tune was also ace, but more fun and less moody, so...less fun, marginally. IBoth labels are virtually all Hip Hop though, nae the E word, as defined by themselves.*

*Well Abstract Musical Science, or Funkjazztical Tricknology could be genres, but the beat reveals all, its just a very wide definition of Hip Hop.

Mo Wax was just about all good, til Lavelle started signing rock bands. Shadow was popular (and ace), but there was a shitload of stuff that came out like Krush, La Funk Mob, RPM, Palmskin Productions, Urban Tribe, and many others that broke ground, and still sounds like the future 15 years on, get Headz, Headz 2 (A & B) as the ultimate cannabolic headspace sound(z), I'm still looking for the Excursions comp. Also best packaging and best vinyl quality, literally made of more wax. Those days are gone, but still hugely influential in my personal musical milieu.

Ninja Tune was also ace, but more fun and less moody, so...less fun, marginally. IBoth labels are virtually all Hip Hop though, nae the E word, as defined by themselves.*

*Well Abstract Musical Science, or Funkjazztical Tricknology could be genres, but the beat reveals all, its just a very wide definition of Hip Hop.

I can provide a copy of 'Excursions' if you PM some address details...

• Upvote 1

Aye, I bought the CD of Jazz Hip Jap (MWCD01) for 25 quid last year, in only decent condition, fuckin worth it though. I used to have much of it on vinyl (long and tragic tale of idiocy), and a lot of it would have been valuable, fuck it though, I'd sooner hae the stuff (which I don't, well I re-bought most of it, but on CD, well I've nae deck).

• 5 months later...