aberdeen-music

fave electronica artists

Guest Stripey

anyone seen that advert with the horses and the BMW i think its pretty cool, soundtrack is ok i guess but the adverts nice... just thought id mention it because the soundtrack was kinda 'electronica'.

i heard boards of canada in the background of an itv advert for a documentry on bullying. cool... i think.

i think my fave two electronica artists would be early caberat voltaire (though they did use guitars as well) and the first two human league albums. early gary numan stuff is good too. there's plenty of folk around nowadays doing decent stuff though, kid 606 is prob my fave not heard that much by him but he seems to be prepared to manipulate things to the full in a style that is totally his own. and future sound of london, stripey mentioned the astonishing 'lifeforms' album but my nod would go to 'dead cities' some crazy shit going down there!

Guest Stripey
i think my fave two electronica artists would be early caberat voltaire (though they did use guitars as well) and the first two human league albums. early gary numan stuff is good too. there's plenty of folk around nowadays doing decent stuff though' date=' kid 606 is prob my fave not heard that much by him but he seems to be prepared to manipulate things to the full in a style that is totally his own. and future sound of london, stripey mentioned the astonishing 'lifeforms' album but my nod would go to 'dead cities' some crazy shit going down there![/quote']

Hell yea, dead cities is superb, as is ISDN. I dunno if you have heard their new album, "the isness" but it's quite a departure from all that.

hmm.. fave electronica artists...quite a wide category really, and sooo many...but ones that stand out in my mind from over the years...

Black Dog (esp Bytes)

B12

Autechre (saw them at The Pelican in the early 90's...was a handful of folk there!)

Muziq

Speedy J

Plaid

FSOL

and could go on to talk bout some great techno artists if you want.....! still electronic i guess...!

sharon

Well where I do start with electronica ?

Mum

Pole

New Order

Matmos

Four Tet

Kid 606 & DJ Rupture rest of Tigerbeat 6

The Bug

Photek

Murcof

Suicide

Boards of Canada - I dont listen to them as such but use them to fall asleep to... BoC maybe get too much hype but have lots of people including me back into electronica, which is no bad thing.Cornelieus

Jaga Jazzist

Orbital

Scanner / Sci cut db (sp?) / Bip Hop et al

Leaf Artists

I used to like FSOL and have two of their albums - but then went against them for some reason.

Dave

made up of mangled DTMF tones"

what is DTMF ?

I thought Autechre invented the BOC sound on Amber anyway?...and that was out in '94. BOC did well to push basically the same sound (albeit more melodic / accessible) to a bigger/ wider audience inc. indie kids, hipsters etc. so all credit to them...

orange!

nice thread stripey...

mick harris (scorn, Lull, quoit etc)

plasticman

kit clayton

jack dangers (MBM)

danny breaks

roni size

keiron hebden

trent rezonr (dare I say it...)

dijislov

tortoise

Richard d James (of course)

autechre

bill laswell

cornellius

FSOL (good choise!)

and so many more...hey, isn't that enough already ?!

Hell yea' date=' dead cities is superb, as is ISDN. I dunno if you have heard their new album, "the isness" but it's quite a departure from all that.[/quote']

yeah, that was a wierd one, "psychadellic electronica" (it's the LP that pink Floyd would have made if they got hold of new electronic equipment).

technically it was "amorphous androdgenous" (spelling ?) not FSOL...

yeah i love Amorphous Androgynous...i was always a bit confused, is that the name of the album by FSOL or a side project kind of thing?? Mountain Goat is beautiful............ooh many a wasted weekend was spent listening to all this electronic lovelyness, its bringing it all back :]

Aphex Twin Ambient Works album is also still a firm favourite of mine from the day i bought it till now...god thats over 10 years ago!!

sharon

(from AMG)

One year before Garry Cobain and Brian Dougans released Lifeforms, their breakthrough album as Future Sound of London, the duo recorded Tales of Ephidrena as Amorphous Androgynous. Charting an intriguing fusion of industrial techno with the free-form organic passages that would become the norm in ambient techno several years later, Tales of Ephidrena was the first hint of what was to become the trademark sound of FSOL.

"free-form organic passages"...finar finar....

what is DTMF ?

orange!

it stands for dual-tone multi-frequency. it's the sounds that your phone makes when you dial. each key on your phone makes a unique frequency combination that lets the exchange at the other end of the line know what you are dialling. interestingly enough (or not so) if you travel in one direction across your phone's keypad either horizontally or vertically, one tone will always stay the same. no, that's not interesting at all, is it. shite.

it stands for dual-tone multi-frequency. it's the sounds that your phone makes when you dial. each key on your phone makes a unique frequency combination that lets the exchange at the other end of the line know what you are dialling. interestingly enough (or not so) if you travel in one direction across your phone's keypad either horizontally or vertically' date=' one tone will always stay the same.QUOTE']

cheers spellchecker, didnt know that.

amon tobin, fourtet, chicks on speed, tracy and the plastics, console, ladytron, adult, le tigre.

electronica is stupid genre, how can amon tobin and chicks on speed be in the same category? Thats just bloody lazy that is. I hate genre's, they make me feel stupid. How is it ok to put chicks on speed into electronica, yet somehow, le tigre is "indy electronica" a supposed sub-genre. Fucking allmusic.com. Fuck you, le tigre make the list bitch.

Chk to the Chk to the muthafuckin Chk.

And T Raumschmiere. He's hot too which is important. joke.

really? i wouldn't have thought of the mighty chk chk chk as electronic. i always just regard them as a funk band. in the truest sense of the word, except they use some electronic sounds as well. i know they got lumped in with the punk funk stuff but they're more than that, they're all about the groove. ah chk chk chk. how i love them so.

i guess their new album is certainly more electronic. it's almost like funky house in places.

stripey: i know what your saying with the ulrich schnauss - elevator music thing but i guess it's each to his own. you'll probably appreciate the yoshimi + yuka album more, lots more crazy sounds on that but still very very nice and relaxing. also check out asa chang + junray - tsu gi ne pu. very strange album that features the sound of the doors in star trek and some barking rhythms. brilliant though.

edit: upon relistening to the yoshimi album, it probably can't be classed as electronica but it certainly fits into experimental. bizarre rhythms and bird noises with synths over the top and flutes and the like.

I love that Disk Dave (thanks for the reccomendation)...

I love the way that ASA CHANG makes music by mimicing drums with his voice (not "human beatbox" but something like "skatting" (no, not a poo fettish...tsk).)

He certainly has made some very interesting music over the years.

It's lovely to see such an interest in Electronic music here, I always had it in my head that the abereen-music fan base was firmly rooted in geetars, and nothing but...

so, this is where you have all been hiding !

here's a question, what was the first electronic music you bought, and why ?

mine was godflesh "slave state (remixes)" (kind of freaked me out to start with...oh no, it's dance music..I'm not allowed to like dance music"...(being a death metal-er)...then scorn, then MBM, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Plasticman etc....

here's a question' date=' what was the first electronic music you bought, and why ?

....[/quote']

Three possible first electronic purchases.

Well it might have been Luke Slater's Four Corner Room. But I got an Orbital Peel session 12 " about the same time as well. I also got a Banco De Gaya album then as well.

Why did I get them ? - cos I heard a track or two or session on Peel and so got an album / ep.

The first electronic music I won was Rough Trade Electronic 01 - its great and well worth a purchase for anyone interested in the genre...

Dave