aberdeen-music

T-Break Line-Up 2010

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Its not an excuse' date=' and no eyes needing dried, just facing FACTs.. compadre!![/quote']

Complete balls. The only reason Turning Thirteen didn't get into T Break Stage is because you're from Aberdeen? Do you really believe that? Really?

I think to a fair extent knowing these guys does help as theyre on the panel and being in their mind when your demo drops in can only be a good thing but i dont think its all about that.

For example, although i know a lot of the DF guys through work at the Warehouse NOW, when we did T Break it was well before that and didnt know anyone of any importance at the time - and we still got through. We did play a really good set at the heats mind but then again im not sure if its kinda decided before then - i dont know - you get what im trying to say.

Im sure contacts (as with all walks of life but particularly music) help with these things but i dont think its all about that.

Turning 13 deserved to get through though, and i do agree that Aberdeen bands are usually overlooked for these things - but thats sadly no different to all other aspects of the industry.

Hence why we all have to try and gig out of town as much as possible im afraid.

Hope thats not too negative sounding and im not saying we dont have a good scene here.

x

I pretty much agree with Steve.

I do think it helps to be well known to DF concerts but i really think if they like your tunes enough you will get selected.

i dont think an extensive bio etc is really essential.

Turning 13 are a great band and am sure they got a serious look in.

Also if bands are serious about wanting to play things like T In The Park , Rockness etc maybe moving to or even giggin constantly in Glasgow would be a good move.

Also if bands are serious about wanting to play things like T In The Park , Rockness etc maybe moving to or even giggin constantly in Glasgow would be a good move.

There's been a decent number of Aberdeen bands done the T-Break stage at T In The Park over the years without having to move there.

Dunno why there's still a perception that you have to move to Glasgow or London to get anywhere, it simply can't be true in this day and age what with the internet and all. Touring and internet presence will probably get you further than where you live these days.

There's been a decent number of Aberdeen bands done the T-Break stage at T In The Park over the years without having to move there.

Dunno why there's still a perception that you have to move to Glasgow or London to get anywhere, it simply can't be true in this day and age what with the internet and all. Touring and internet presence will probably get you further than where you live these days.

But if ppl are moaning about it being bias towards Glasgow (as per earlier in the thread) then i think moving there, or gigging there more often would help.

I reckon being known by DF would be a major help to get selected. Since the T Break showcases were wound up it is one less opportunity to give your band a chance to impress. I guess from DF's point of view they'll want to know a band can impress live rather than/as well as having a good recording.

Makes it all the more impressive for bands like Be Like Pablo getting through though so they're certainly doing something right.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Mmmm' date=' I like yours.., I really believe if you are not known to DF Concerts, HI-Arts, the Arts Council, BBC Radio Scotland and the like you have no chance!! ...well done to the Forres band though.[/quote']

That's fuck all to do with being from Aberdeen. You have as much opportunity to get yourselves known to them even if you're from Aberdeen or Forres or fucking anywhere you care to mention.

Guest Gladstone

If everyone moved to Glasgow nobody would ever get a gig! As fishoutofwarer said there are already a million bands in Glasgow so if you lived and played there all the time you'd still need to be fucking good to impress, which is why I don't think it's about geography. I think it's fair to say that if you're from Aberdeen and you only ever play gigs in Aberdeen you'll struggle to get a look in to anything like this, and why should you?

The Little Kicks got into T Break because they were fucking good and right at the top of their game that year and had been playing all over the place and I think they had at least a small following in other cities. Anyone that saw their set at T Break would instantly understand why they merited that slot because they were brilliant and by far the highlight of the entire weekend for me.

It's not easy to get into these things evidently but being from Aberdeen won't stop you if you're good enough and willing to put a fucking shift in.

That's fuck all to do with being from Aberdeen. You have as much opportunity to get yourselves known to them even if you're from Aberdeen or Forres or fucking anywhere you care to mention.

I was away to say a similar thing. So why didn't you guys make yourselves known to DF Concerts, or BBC Scotland?

I can't comment on the metal scene or the hip hop scene in Glasgow, only from the Alt/Rock scene but I'd say once again moving to Glasgow is not a solution.

Glasgow is not only awash with bands, but its also awash with venues and promoters, all competing with each other for the same small audience. The end product is you are playing gigs often to half a dozen people - if you are lucky. Don't get me wrong, I've done gigs that are pretty busy, but equally I've played all the major venues to hee-haw people too.

Playing the game with DF can be a tricky one - they called a band I was in years ago up to basically bring the crowd for a Tuts gig at abour a week's notice. In terms of music, we were completely unsuitable to be stuck on the bill as the headliner (five piece band with Hammond + Leslie cab vs sensitive acoustic act with bongos). We'd also played a well-attended town gig the week before so we brought fuck all down to Tuts and we'd said as much when we took the gig. They said, "no, it's cool man". End result - the bands played Tuts to each other and DF didn't answer our calls anymore.

i think the key is just putting in the time and getting yourself on the radar.

the more you put in the more you get out i guess

Yep, exactly.

The busier you are the more buzz you create, that's why IRL created a stir when they came out of hibernation over a year ago now. Prepped some awsome tunes, organised a couple of tours and played some festivals. Now they're one of the biggest bands in the area and I'm sure that next year they'll make T break, pretty surprised they didn't do it this year.

Bands who release material and just expect things to happen won't go anywhere. Last year my band created a bit of local attention by releasing a single, but through being young and naive we didn't promote it enough to earn any sort of reputation on a national scale. If you look at the band playing T break they all regularly tour, release material and I've heard over half of them on stations like Radio 6 and on Vic Galloway's show. So doing this is imperative, I think to get into these sort of things you have to look like you're progressing somewhere and have evidence such as previous tours and releases in order to prove that.

• Upvote 1

Yep, exactly.

The busier you are the more buzz you create, that's why IRL created a stir when they came out of hibernation over a year ago now. Prepped some awsome tunes, organised a couple of tours and played some festivals. Now they're one of the biggest bands in the area and I'm sure that next year they'll make T break, pretty surprised they didn't do it this year.

Bands who release material and just expect things to happen won't go anywhere. Last year my band created a bit of local attention by releasing a single, but through being young and naive we didn't promote it enough to earn any sort of reputation on a national scale. If you look at the band playing T break they all regularly tour, release material and I've heard over half of them on stations like Radio 6 and on Vic Galloway's show. So doing this is imperative, I think to get into these sort of things you have to look like you're progressing somewhere and have evidence such as previous tours and releases in order to prove that.

Who are IRL? This may seem like a pointless question but its annoying me that I can't think who they are...

We do enjoy creating and performing electro, all im saying is in todays market thats what they are going too listen to the most as it stands out from the rest.

How can you say they are going to listen to what stands out when Kitty The Lion, The Seventeenth Century, French Wives, Three Blind Wolves and Washington Irvine have all made it through? All of these bands could be described as part of a massive Indie/Folk scene in Scotland at the moment. Also bands like the Ray Summer and Mitchell museum play your fairly standard indie/rock style music, i bet they heard hundreds of demos in that style but they still got selected.

It's nothing to do with picking an obscure genre of music just to make yourself stand out.

I did Tbreak with Barn Owl last year and i guess we could have been described slightly as s surprise pick. We never do shows with DF Concerts and hadn't even released anything. For us it was a case of putting in a solid demo, strongest/most commercial track first and noising up anyone i knew in the judging panel.

We do enjoy creating and performing electro, all im saying is in todays market thats what they are going too listen to the most as it stands out from the rest.

Now I want to make it clear that I'm in no way slagging off your band - I don't doubt that you're very good. It's just very depressing when even up-and-coming bands talk in these terms. I remember The Automatic talking to me about 'units shifted' a coupla years ago and I felt utterly miserable about it.

These generic, business-speak banalities suggest that appealing to the greatest number of people should be an artist's primary goal. For me, it should be about making the best possible music and nothing else...

As I said, this is in no way a reflection on your band.

• Upvote 1