aberdeen-music

T-Break Line-Up 2010

Guest Gladstone

Guest idol_wild
Now I want to make it clear that I'm in no way slagging off your band - I don't doubt that you're very good. It's just very depressing when even up-and-coming bands talk in these terms. I remember The Automatic talking to me about 'units shifted' a coupla years ago and I felt utterly miserable about it.

These generic, business-speak banalities suggest that appealing to the greatest number of people should be an artist's primary goal. For me, it should be about making the best possible music and nothing else...

As I said, this is in no way a reflection on your band.

I like you.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

We do enjoy creating and performing electro, all im saying is in todays market thats what they are going too listen to the most as it stands out from the rest.

Now I want to make it clear that I'm in no way slagging off your band - I don't doubt that you're very good. It's just very depressing when even up-and-coming bands talk in these terms. I remember The Automatic talking to me about 'units shifted' a coupla years ago and I felt utterly miserable about it.

These generic, business-speak banalities suggest that appealing to the greatest number of people should be an artist's primary goal. For me, it should be about making the best possible music and nothing else...

As I said, this is in no way a reflection on your band.

You spoke to the Automatic and you didn't kick them in the balls? May I ask why?

Toured with them, gigged with them heaps. Classic victims of label pressure...their music fitted the trends of the day for a few months, they had a few hits, then the fashions shifted and they were left behind.

FWIW they were so focused on following trends and 'shifting units' that they basically shot their own longevity in the foot. What is popular one minute will often be derided the next, if you play the 'must appeal to the masses' game.

Genuinely lovely, if impressionable and a little bewildered, chaps.

some good points christy.

I think the best you can do is play whatever music you like playing and not worry about whats popular at the time. Things change all the time so eventually whatever you are into will come round eventually, if you've stuck to your guns while waiting you should be really good at what you do when the chance comes knocking.

Toured with them, gigged with them heaps. Classic victims of label pressure...their music fitted the trends of the day for a few months, they had a few hits, then the fashions shifted and they were left behind.

FWIW they were so focused on following trends and 'shifting units' that they basically shot their own longevity in the foot. What is popular one minute will often be derided the next, if you play the 'must appeal to the masses' game.

Genuinely lovely, if impressionable and a little bewildered, chaps.

I have a vague memory of us dancing on stage at the Tunnels to 'Monster' at my 18th.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hmm' date=' us Meursaults have been offered a slot at T in the Park this year.

Apparently we said yes. :rolleyes:

Come say hi if you can be hooped.

Meursault on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Festival slags.

Guest idol_wild

Meursault are the "special guests" on the T-Break stage (the same slot the The Phantom Band had last year, apparently). I was unaware there was such a slot on that stage.

Friday 9th July, stage time around 21:20, I think. Come and tap your toes and nod your head.

Guest Gladstone
Meursault are the "special guests" on the T-Break stage (the same slot the The Phantom Band had last year, apparently). I was unaware there was such a slot on that stage.

Friday 9th July, stage time around 21:20, I think. Come and tap your toes and nod your head.

How did Glastonbury go man?

Guest idol_wild
How did Glastonbury go man?

It was pretty awesome to play, it has to be said. Really strange experience, though, as I'm really not a festival sort of person.

I'm looking forward to playing a few of the smaller, more discerning festivals, I think. I can't help but feel they have a higher concentration of actual music fans, rather than a massive bunch of people just out for a weekend piss-up/drug-up with their pals.

As Lee Ranaldo once said:

The festival scene is beautiful, maaaan.

It was pretty awesome to play, it has to be said. Really strange experience, though, as I'm really not a festival sort of person.

I'm looking forward to playing a few of the smaller, more discerning festivals, I think. I can't help but feel they have a higher concentration of actual music fans, rather than a massive bunch of people just out for a weekend piss-up/drug-up with their pals.

As Lee Ranaldo once said:

The festival scene is beautiful, maaaan.

Not sure if you are aware but your band got a wee mention in the official Glastonbury review. I picked one up on the way out and was reading a section about festival highs and lows and Meursault were mentioned as a high.

"Edinburgh band Meursault in the BBC tent on Friday - the veins protruding from the singer's shaved bonce as he bellowed out their songs were darned impressive."

I'd like to think it was considered a high point of the weekend due the musical abilities of the band rather than the singer's circulatory system but a nice wee mention in a magazine that will be picked up by a huge number of people.

If anyone fancies coming to see us at t in the park we will be playing Friday at 10.10pm

Also we are doing a live session for Vic Galloway next wednesday as a warm up for the whole thing so check that out as well. I'm under stict instuctions not to swear or veer into dangerous topic territory so it should be quite fun listening to me sweat.

Guest Gladstone

Can you still buy T in the Park day tickets for the Sunday? I'm going to be in Perthshire anyway. It is my first wedding anniversary and I am already planning to watch the World Cup Final...

We did go to T in the Park together 6 years in a row, and get married on T in the Park weekend, so it might be all sentimental to go to T in the Park on the Sunday for a laugh...

• 2 weeks later...