aberdeen-music

Lockerbie Bomber

Bigsby

I'm still trying to get my head round this.

but I struggle to see what political benefits Scotland could ever get from Libya to justify it.

I don't, oil money from Libya (and North-west Africa) pays my wages.

I work for an Oil & Gas supply company, in their export department, and have dealt with the Libyans for about a year now, they're a funny bunch. I was supposed to be going there at some point this year but I don't know if it'll happen now, my colleague has been a few times though.There's no question in my mind that a deal was done over Megrahi's release, I know a fair bit about the country now and the ways they work. I don't think he guilty anyway though.

I had my first experience of a yank being rude to me on the phone this week, probably because I identified myself as Scottish rather than British (usually they wouldn't see the distinction). I find the US reaction completely hypocritical, but it's to be expected really - for a predominantly Christian country who just love to export their ideals of 'freedom', they seems to firget the single most important tenant of Christian belief: love and compassion. At the end of the day, any prisoner, regardless of crime/nationality is entitled to release on compassionate grounds under Scottish Law, and I think this is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

I work for an Oil & Gas supply company, in their export department, and have dealt with the Libyans for about a year now, they're a funny bunch. I was supposed to be going there at some point this year but I don't know if it'll happen now, my colleague has been a few times though.There's no question in my mind that a deal was done over Megrahi's release, I know a fair bit about the country now and the ways they work. I don't think he guilty anyway though.

I had my first experience of a yank being rude to me on the phone this week, probably because I identified myself as Scottish rather than British (usually they wouldn't see the distinction). I find the US reaction completely hypocritical, but it's to be expected really - for a predominantly Christian country who just love to export their ideals of 'freedom', they seems to firget the single most important tenant of Christian belief: love and compassion. At the end of the day, any prisoner, regardless of crime/nationality is entitled to release on compassionate grounds under Scottish Law, and I think this is a good thing.

Yeah, the US government were supposedly the ones who fingered the Libyans for it in the first place, when the British government were looking at a Syrian/Iranian connection. I expect the type of American to go on some ranting anti-Scottish mantra to be the hopelessly confused Republican type, still clinging to their anti-government ideology yet pathetically unquestioning of their government's line.

I was working with a Libyan guy for a couple of days. He was fucking hilarious! We were working on reception together and some Glaswegian guys came in about a painting job. He introduced himself as being from Libya, you know, El Gaddafi? Lockerbie? Waaay! (thumbs up) bad taste perhaps but I nearly pissed myself.

So are you implying that Scotland is going to reap some sort of lucrative oil-based reward for the return of one cancer-stricken "terrorist"?

I just find that totally unrealistic.

I'm always happy to piss off the septics, but I can't help feeling Scotland has been totally shafted here. I'm glad he's out, but only because he didn't do it. The down side is that he has dropped his appeal which was possibly the only chance we had of getting close to the truth of what happened. What seems most likely though, is that the Pan Am bomb was carried out by Syrian terrorists, on the orders of Iran in retaliation for the shooting down of an Iranian passenger jet by a US warship in 1988. Immediately after Lockerbie this was widely recognised as being the reason, and investigations were proceeding well in that direction. They even identified and named a Syrian terrorist cell who were making bombs hidden in Toshiba radios exactly the same as the Lockerbie one.

Then suddenly in April 89 President Bush Snr ordered Britain to stop this investigation into Syria. Less than a year later the US attacked Saddam Hussein's forces in Kuwait, with the assistance of... Syria.

In 1991 an extremely dodgy case was cobbled together against Libya, which the Scottish Courts actually initially rejected as being bollocks. But Megrahi (and an 'accomplice who was found innocent) was offered as a scapegoat and Libya eventually 'apologised' for the bombing and paid out millions in compensation. Suddenly, previous long-standing sanctions against Libya were lifted and billions of dollars of trade flowed between Libya, UK and US.

Libya got their trade back, US got their bogeyman for the public to hate and be proud of their government for catching him. And the truth about what really happened was conveniently swept under the carpet.

But unfortunately the scapegoat always protested his innocence, stories started to emerge and calls for a full inquiry got louder. Megrahi's appeal could have brought up some very awkward questions. Luckily for everyone except Megrahi, he got cancer. This gave a good reason to offer his freedom, with the bonus that he could only get out if he dropped his appeal.

It seems quite likely that despite what the US administration are saying in public, they must be delighted that this appeal will now never happen and quite possibly arranged the release deal for this reason. Sure, the public will be annoyed that Megrahi got out, but hey, that's Scotland's fault, isn't it. So let's never buy their whisky again...

Paul Foot: Lockerbie's dirty secret | UK news | The Guardian

Spot on Frosty. You articulated this far better than I could have.

So what's suddenly happened since the release then?

The dealings have been going on since Blair was in power, read back this thread or any news site to see that Lord (of the Sith) Mandelson, Prince Andrew and a number of Trade Ministers have met with Libyan representatives in the last few months/last year. Megrahi's release is just the culmination of what has been going on for a while.