aberdeen-music

Pinholes in blankets dust balls attached to the sky oh

ghost

Final final final final final FIN AL gig (before I become a dad, change into someone seriously uncool and ah bugger, nothing'll change eh? :) )

Dean Owens

Ian Simpson

Scott Lyon

- Lemon Tree, Thursday 24th June. 7.50/5 conc. (or PM for 5 ticket)

Not enough time to get the band together, but I will have electronic assistance in the form of Sanchez... it's going to be a one-off set with a new song or two, a Casio VL tone and an Iron & Wine cover. Delicious. Would be great to see folk from here at the gig.

I seriously recommend Dean Owens - supported him at the Lemon Tree last September and his show was amazing. Double-bass, violin and guitar makes a great combination.

Anyone know anything about Scott Lyon? Haven't seen him play yet.

tonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonighttonightyouallgoing?

Thanks to everyone who came along. I had fun and learnt an important lesson: never start a set with a half-baked cover version... ;) hey ho. luckily it improved from there...

scott lyons & co were good - a real grandaddy vibe in his vox. sounded really like alt.country band 'american starlet' who used to plough their trade on mp3.com. :up: :up:

dean owens wasn't as sparkling as the last time, mainly due to the fact his band sounded v. MOR - really made more of an impact as a violin/double bass/guitar line up. add one heck of a strop at some over-excited audience members early in his set, and i think he turned more folk off than on. now where's that neutral smiley...

Guest RockMonkey
chairs. you've been quiet recently - what news from yonder shores jo?

Been taking time out. Went scuba diving in the Red Sea, ego massaged by Egyptian salesmen, got to drive the boat I was on for a week and be captain, which was fun. Nearly fell overboard when we hit rough seas, which was amusing but quite scary. Sold flat and am now living in Cammachmore so i can see fields and sea and stuff instead of just the other side of the street. That's about it...

Glad the gig went well

ah yes, i work with one of the scuba teachers so knew you scuba'd. holiday sounds great! cammachmore is nice enough, just need to try and blinker the encroaching flood of houses from both sides... ;) it'll be inspiring to have all that open countryside...

Thanks to everyone who came along. I had fun and learnt an important lesson: never start a set with a half-baked cover version... ;) hey ho. luckily it improved from there...

scott lyons & co were good - a real grandaddy vibe in his vox. sounded really like alt.country band 'american starlet' who used to plough their trade on mp3.com. :up: :up:

dean owens wasn't as sparkling as the last time' date=' mainly due to the fact his band sounded v. MOR - really made more of an impact as a violin/double bass/guitar line up. add one heck of a strop at some over-excited audience members early in his set, and i think he turned more folk off than on. now where's that neutral smiley...[/quote']

I enjoyed the evening a lot........I agree about the cover version, but the rest of the set was great....slightly nervous, but very engaging! I dunno why Dean Owens got so enraged at the one table....it certainly spoiled the mood!

Guest RockMonkey

I've supported a couple of artists who've had a tantrum over people talking/making merry in the audience. I don't often voice opinions on entertainers but I think that if the audience is not listening to you it is normally because they either think you're crap or they are just drunk and having a nice time. Either way, an entertainer is paid to play music. The audience pays to have a good time.

The best one was at a pretty big gig ( about 800 cap. filled) and the singer gave the audience into trouble for being noisy, and he was singing through a HUGE rig with massive monitor output.

How dare he think his song is so important that it overrides the pleasure of the crowd?

It was a crap song anyway but I moved outside to chat in case I made him cry.

I enjoyed the evening a lot........I agree about the cover version' date=' but the rest of the set was great....slightly nervous, but very engaging! I dunno why Dean Owens got so enraged at the one table....it certainly spoiled the mood![/quote']

ooh... flashback to Lone Pigeon *shudders*

And awfully sorry I couldn't make it Ghostie, maybe nex...bugger.

Either way' date=' an entertainer is paid to play music. The audience pays to have a good time.

[/quote']

One of the most sensible sentences I've ever read here.

May I add that the promoter calls the shots, i.e. the person paying the band money. In fact, the person paying all the bills, whether your band plays to 5 or 500 people, so less of the egos please, as far as I'm concerned you're only the hired help.

Edit: That wasn't directed at anyone on this thread or, in fact, anyone. Just have a think about it.