aberdeen-music

how about a downloads section

Guest The Tourist
How about doing it slightly differently to them? Instead of doing it how they do it' date=' you could have the links with the song names actually going to the download, as opposed to a 404.[/quote']

handbag.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stripey
How about doing it slightly differently to them? Instead of doing it how they do it' date=' you could have the links with the song names actually going to the download, as opposed to a 404.[/quote']

It's true, most of the links on AUBL seem to be dead, and it looks like it's been the same mp3's on there for years. It's really irritating the way they have used some 3rd party download counter. The site also looks awful, as if some student has designed it. *grumble*

It does seem a bit odd that for a music scene website (this one), theres no actual music! I'm surprised there isn't more of a culture of bands putting their stuff online, is it because they would rather sell hard copies?

dum de dum la dee da

I'll talk this over with the AUBL guys when I catch up with them as I don't want to end up stepping on their toes. I know Rico is a very busy boy at the moment and so probably doesn't get much time to update the AUBL web site - I know the feeling all too well!

Anyway, I'm interested in everyone's thoughts regarding this idea. I've got plenty of space and bandwidth to support such a feature on the web site. Would people be interested in seeing an aberdeen-music.com local music chart? And if so, how would you like it to work?

Thats an ace idea Neil. Dont suppose it has to be a chart as such (so it doesnt tread on Rico's toes). Having space for members to download could really help because perhaps some people cant upload because they dont have webspace! The more music online, the better! :up:

Could be like an audio version of the gallery I suppose, but it would probably have to be quite tightly controlled, both for space, and for legal requirements such as illegal mp3s etc. I know Soundclick have a disclaimer thing every time you upload a track to declare that nothing you upload is copyrighted to anyone else.

The AUBL version does seem to be a bit erm, under-achieving in terms of potential benefits... Maybe it would be better for them to just have a link from the AUBL website to a newer version here, like they do with their forum.

It would certainly be a useful complement to the feedback forum.

• 3 weeks later...

People are already posting their stuff up in the feedback forum so having a downloads section could make this easier. How exactly you empliment it is a good question. The gallery idea would be quite cool where everyone gets a set amount of space...but perhaps you could have it for everyone who asks...just save yourself some space/bandwidth. That way everyones tracks stay organised and easy to find...if you could leave feedback beneath and maybe a rating that'd also be cool.