aberdeen-music

Minor Penatonic Scale...

Tav

So who knows the Minor Penatonic Scale in all 5 positions, in all keys and is able to switch between them whilst playing? Also what scales do people reccomend learing first. I was thinking the Major <as all scales relate to this apprently?>, then Minor, I've already started pentatonic...so where's the next logical step?

1st position

e| - | R | - | - | o | R= root note

b| - | o | - | - | o |

g| - | o | - | o | - |

d| - | o | - | R | - |

a| - | o | - | o | - |

E| - | R | - | - | o |

2nd position

e| - | - | o | - | o |

b| - | - | o | - | R |

g| - | o | - | o | - |

d| - | R | - | - | o |

a| - | o | - | - | o |

E| - | - | o | - | o |

3rd Position

e| - | o | - | o | - |

b| - | R | - | - | o |

g| o | - | - | o | - |

d| - | o | - | o | - |

a| - | o | - | R | - |

E| - | o | - | o | - |

4th Position

e| - | o | - | - | o |

b| - | - | o | - | o |

g| - | o | - | R | - |

d| - | o | - | o | - |

a| - | R | - | - | o |

E| - | o | - | - | o |

5th

e| - | - | o | - | R |

b| - | - | o | - | o |

g| - | R | - | - | o |

d| - | o | - | - | o |

a| - | - | o | - | o |

E| - | - | o | - | R |

So who knows the Minor Penatonic Scale in all 5 positions' date=' in all keys and is able to switch between them whilst playing? Also what scales do people reccomend learing first. I was thinking the Major <as all scales relate to this apprently?>, then Minor, I've already started pentatonic...so where's the next logical step?

1st position

e| - | R | - | - | o | R= root note

b| - | o | - | - | o |

g| - | o | - | o | - |

d| - | o | - | R | - |

a| - | o | - | o | - |

E| - | R | - | - | o |

4th Position

e| - | o | - | - | o |

b| - | - | o | - | o |

g| - | o | - | R | - |

d| - | o | - | o | - |

a| - | R | - | - | o |

E| - | o | - | - | o |

[/quote']

Indeed Sam I will.

Personally i think learning ALL 5 of the minor pentatonic positions isn't a great start because it will get confusing. Learing the 1st position first definitely and then also the 4th. (then later the other positions will just feel like the natural in-between bits to the 1st and 4th)

I would learn the minor scale first Tav, not the major. All music teachers would say learn the major first but I wouldn't and I'll explain why:

The major scale is EXACTLY the same as the minor, exept the major scale has it's root position at the third interval of the minor. So if you know the E minor scale, but start on the third interval you are playing the G major scale. But enough about that...

The music you are into is rock music i.e. AiC, Metallica, Pearl Jam etc. ALL this music is based around minor scales - VERY rarely major. So for the most USE and enjoyment out of learning scales you should learn the minor. Again in the 1st an 4th positions otherwise you'll get lost. Also I might add there are a million awesome licks in the minor scale positions, whereas you don't really do "proper rock" solo's in major (except Queen) -

Minor scale in 1st and 4th positions:

e| - | R | - | o | o |

b| - | o | o | - | o |

g| o | o | - | o | - |

d| - | o | - | R | - |

a| - | o | - | o | o |

E| - | R | - | o | o |

4th Position

e| - | o | o | - | o |

b| - | o | o | - | o |

g| - | o | - | R | - |

d| - | o | - | o | o |

a| - | R | - | o | o |

E| - | o | o | - | o |

Then by learning every note along the fatter E string and the A string, you can work out everything from there by knowing the root notes in those two positions.

Hope that helps :)

Now we've got that cleared up...

Dan's right, learn the minor scales as well, since they're identical except in the amount of notes. You never know when you might want to use one of the notes in the minor scale for slides, hammer-ons, trills etc while using the pentatonic.

And no one ever actually told me this and it seems obvious these days, but the minor scale - like Ian says - is exactly the same as the minor pentatonic but with 2 extra notes (the 3rd and the 6th)

Here are the intervals along the minor scale, all along one string:

|-R-|---|-2-|-3-|---|-4-|---|-5-|-6-|---|-7-|---|-R-|

|-R-|---|-o-|-o-|---|-o-|---|-o-|-o-|---|-o-|---|-R-|

Where as the pentatonic:

|-R-|---|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|-R-|

Scales are just a way of explaining what your doing' date=' technically if you know the major scale you can play all other scales perfectly in key.

pentatonic [b']is limited (nevertheless kickass), modes are the shit tho.

"modes are shit tho" *giggles*

learn all your scales but try not to get into habbits of only playing diatonically - play chromatically :up:

Scales are just a way of explaining what your doing' date=' technically if you know the major scale you can play all other scales perfectly in key.

pentatonic [b']is limited (nevertheless kickass), modes are the shit tho.

Not ALL the scales... What about scales that don't use the standard intervals that the modes have, eg the harmonic minor?

Harmonic minor:

|-R-|---|-o-|-o-|---|-o-|---|-o-|-o-|---|-*-|-o-|-R-|

* note that moves up one fret.

If you were to play that in the major position it would have an augmented 5th and sound whack...

Oh and like Monk Rocker says, learn all the rules so you learn how to break them... Craig Hexpen is the master of that sort of shit!