aberdeen-music

Chickenhawk

davidm

I totally agree with you, it is demoralising, the fact that all those people were there, and when you guys *the touring band* go on, no one sticks around. But I do also agree with Phil, playing for yourself is so important, they way I look at it is, lets say by the time I go on and there are 5 people there, thats 5 people who came to see my band (possibly) and paid to get in. They deserve to have a great show put on for them. Thats also maybe 5 people who have never seen the band before and if you blow them away, next time you come back, maybe they'll bring a few friends.

yeah i see what you're saying :)

Yeah thanks, because I just love being patronised.

Not with Cap Sant, but I have toured a couple of times. It happens and it's completely understandable for people to leave and not watch us if they haven't heard of us. Often a promoter will put on a popular local support as the headliner, to make sure folks are around for the unknown touring act. It makes alot of sense to do this if the band on tour are in town for the first time, or just haven't made a name for themselves as of yet.

Having put on shows in Leeds, it still happens. People turn up, take what they want, and then leave, which they are completely entitled to do as paying customers. The only way to battle this is to consider the running order to counteract people leaving early, but then you have the issue of coming late instead.

It happens, and it's going to happen and it's never ever ever going to stop happening. Trying to localise the problem to this gig, or even to the whole scene of the city itself is ridiculous because it happens everywhere!

she wasn't patronising you, she was just saying that what is important was the fact that it was a great gig.

Demoralising, yes. Worth crying your eyes out for and downing tools music-wise, no.

Exactly, but it's not even Chickenhawk who are getting puffy eyed about this whole issue. It's the rest of the world and his wife. I'm pretty sure an independent touring band like Chickenhawk are fairly used to playing to near-empty rooms from time to time.

:O

Yeah thanks, because I just love being patronised.

Not with Cap Sant, but I have toured a couple of times. It happens and it's completely understandable for people to leave and not watch us if they haven't heard of us. Often a promoter will put on a popular local support as the headliner, to make sure folks are around for the unknown touring act. It makes alot of sense to do this if the band on tour are in town for the first time, or just haven't made a name for themselves as of yet.

Having put on shows in Leeds, it still happens. People turn up, take what they want, and then leave, which they are completely entitled to do as paying customers. The only way to battle this is to consider the running order to counteract people leaving early, but then you have the issue of coming late instead.

It happens, and it's going to happen and it's never ever ever going to stop happening. Trying to localise the problem to this gig, or even to the whole scene of the city itself is ridiculous because it happens everywhere!

ok sorry for sounding patronising, i dont know anything about you, that you'd toured in other bands, put gigs on etc etc..sorry, i apologise! :O

but yeah you're right,..it does happen everywhere....and yeah the trick is down to the promoter usually, to cunningly work out a running order to maximise a crowd for the visiting bands :up:

Exactly, but it's not even Chickenhawk who are getting puffy eyed about this whole issue. It's the rest of the world and his wife. I'm pretty sure an independent touring band like Chickenhawk are fairly used to playing to near-empty rooms from time to time.

I'm sure i made it clear that i was aware that the touring bands weren't the ones complaining...

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Hmmm. Quite. I didn't think Jake would be so bold as to name/shame the subjects in his vague and quite cowardly stab. I would have liked to have known if it was aimed at us, but we'll probably never know.

So why on earth would a member of the first band - whom I DID watch - throw such a hissy fit about something that didn't really concern him anyway?

Hypocrisy strikes and it strikes hard though. You know what I'm talking about, Jake. You pull out this pedastal, get right on top of it and yell out against all the leave-earlys and walk-outers. I saw you walk out on my band after not even one song. I understand if we're not exactly your thing, but surely you'll understand that we were on a bill of 4 other bands who definitely weren't ours...

So if you can grant us this forgiveness, I'll try my best to let the hypocritical arsehole thing go, just this once.

First off, sorry for the delay in replying but I have a life to be getting on with away from the internet. I'll take the above one by one:

I can't name and shame people when I don't know their names. It wasn't aimed at you or your band, so sleep soundly. It was those funny-looking people who left when Uncalm (who were fucking spot on) finished.

I said what I said because I felt like it. Problem? Tough.

True, I went out for a smoke after about 2 minutes of you lot because it isn't my thing at all and I've no time for it. Still, I came back in after said smoke and you seemed to go down ok with most folk.

Call me a hypocritical arsehole all you want, I've been called much worse and will no doubt continue to be. It's part and parcel of being honest and I can live with that.

:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
What exactly is your problem with transgender people? (I'm aware the persons in question weren't literally transgender)

Done for the sake of brevity. 'The floppy-fringed, Deirdre-Barlow-spec-wearing kiddies with those silly big holes in their lugs' didn't quite have the same ring to it.

Guest idol_wild
Done for the sake of brevity. 'The floppy-fringed, Deirdre-Barlow-spec-wearing kiddies with those silly big holes in their lugs' didn't quite have the same ring to it.

You'd have a floppy-fringe too, if you could grow one ;)

• 2 weeks later...