aberdeen-music

Chickenhawk

davidm

I think it's prob just a fuse. Pretty much my own fault. playing through 2 cabs completely cranked. Ain't opened it up yet, will do this afternoon and hopefulyl get it up adn running before Elgin tomorrow.

Cheers, much appreciated, I didn't want to risk blowing another though!

Didin't realise you had it through a couble of cabs. That would explain the punishing tone!! Hopefully the cabs last night weren't too mismatched, or it could be a blown O/T :(

Oh yeah, the gig:

Cap Sante - not my cup of tea really, but there are some nice licks in there, and it was fairly well held for a first gig. Not totally convinced the drummer is getting close enough to the microphone, but that might just be me.....

Uncalm - not bad overall: some bits very good, others not as good. Probably stating the obvious, but a bass to thicken up the live sound might be an idea.

Chickenhawk and Rouge were both equally very good, shame most people fucked off before they played.

The Wifebeater performance was not brilliant, would have liked to have gone with a blinder, but you can't win them all. Ach well.

Post gig smash was cracking!

:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Especially the folk leaving. That was very uncool.

It was a relief to see the back of the transgender scene brats but typical of this shithole that they fucked off before the out-of-towners went on.

If this is the scene, then the scene can die as soon as it likes.

Guest idol_wild
It was a relief to see the back of the transgender scene brats but typical of this shithole that they fucked off before the out-of-towners went on.

If this is the scene, then the scene can die as soon as it likes.

Wow. Dunkirk spirit and all that.

Hmmm. Quite. I didn't think Jake would be so bold as to name/shame the subjects in his vague and quite cowardly stab. I would have liked to have known if it was aimed at us, but we'll probably never know.

I never quite understood why anyone should feel obligated to stay right until the end, out of politeness and gratitude. You turn up to the show and you take what you want from it, be that playing your set or watching the band or bands you want to see. I had a quick word with the Chickenhawk guys, re-introduced myself and apologised that I needed to dash to struggle with all my guitar gear on the last bout of public transport for the night - not that I really need an excuse. They politely understood my situation with not the slightest bit of offense taken. So why on earth would a member of the first band - whom I DID watch - throw such a hissy fit about something that didn't really concern him anyway?

Hypocrisy strikes and it strikes hard though. You know what I'm talking about, Jake. You pull out this pedastal, get right on top of it and yell out against all the leave-earlys and walk-outers. I saw you walk out on my band after not even one song. I understand if we're not exactly your thing, but surely you'll understand that we were on a bill of 4 other bands who definitely weren't ours...

So if you can grant us this forgiveness, I'll try my best to let the hypocritical arsehole thing go, just this once.

• Upvote 2

Guest treader.
I'm guessing Treader. I think it's a bit unreasonable, but hey, who gives a shit? It's just a tag on a thread :)

Incorrect. I was in america when this thread was going on, and couldnt give a shit so...

Hmmm. Quite. I didn't think Jake would be so bold as to name/shame the subjects in his vague and quite cowardly stab. I would have liked to have known if it was aimed at us, but we'll probably never know.

I never quite understood why anyone should feel obligated to stay right until the end, out of politeness and gratitude. You turn up to the show and you take what you want from it, be that playing your set or watching the band or bands you want to see. I had a quick word with the Chickenhawk guys, re-introduced myself and apologised that I needed to dash to struggle with all my guitar gear on the last bout of public transport for the night - not that I really need an excuse. They politely understood my situation with not the slightest bit of offense taken. So why on earth would a member of the first band - whom I DID watch - throw such a hissy fit about something that didn't really concern him anyway?

Hypocrisy strikes and it strikes hard though. You know what I'm talking about, Jake. You pull out this pedastal, get right on top of it and yell out against all the leave-earlys and walk-outers. I saw you walk out on my band after not even one song. I understand if we're not exactly your thing, but surely you'll understand that we were on a bill of 4 other bands who definitely weren't ours...

So if you can grant us this forgiveness, I'll try my best to let the hypocritical arsehole thing go, just this once.

he was probably having more of a go at the people who came to see uncalm...

but i could be very wrong.

I never quite understood why anyone should feel obligated to stay right until the end, out of politeness and gratitude. You turn up to the show and you take what you want from it, be that playing your set or watching the band or bands you want to see

i bet when you guys tour, you'll *no doubt* find yourself in the situation where everyone fucks off before you play, its very fucking annoying, and when you get sick of that happening, then maybe you'll appreicate whats really being talked about in this thread hehe :p:popcorn::love:

i bet when you guys tour, you'll *no doubt* find yourself in the situation where everyone fucks off before you play, its very fucking annoying, and when you get sick of that happening, then maybe you'll appreicate whats really being talked about in this thread hehe :p:popcorn:

Nah, it doesn't matter. Who cares how many people you're playing to. Granted, it is annoying but you can't go out with the expectation that everyone is going to stay and have their undivided attention on you. Nobody should be that precious. Play for yourself, that's what's important. I bet the touring guys weren't greeting like a big bunch of Mary's.

Folks should man the fuck up. Part of the problem with certain aspects of the scene here are that the bands have unrealistic expectations of crowds and their own self-importance.

Decided not to go to this one after getting out of work later and i was knackered after an 11 hour shift. Still haven't seen Wifebeater unfortunately. :down:

Nah, it doesn't matter. Who cares how many people you're playing to. Granted, it is annoying but you can't go out with the expectation that everyone is going to stay and have their undivided attention on you. Nobody should be that precious. Play for yourself, that's what's important. I bet the touring guys weren't greeting like a big bunch of Mary's.

Folks should man the fuck up. Part of the problem with certain aspects of the scene here are that the bands have unrealistic expectations of crowds and their own self-importance. QUOTE]

dont tell me that touring bands *dont care* that 1 person stayed to watch them, when the venue had previously been rammed?! must feel a wee bit demoralising no?!

*and im not even talking about this Portals gig anymore, this is just in general* :p

Folks should man the fuck up. Part of the problem with certain aspects of the scene here are that the bands have unrealistic expectations of crowds and their own self-importance. QUOTE]

dont tell me that touring bands *dont care* that 1 person stayed to watch them, when the venue had previously been rammed?! must feel a wee bit demoralising no?!

*and im not even talking about this Portals gig anymore, this is just in general* :p

I totally agree with you, it is demoralising, the fact that all those people were there, and when you guys *the touring band* go on, no one sticks around. But I do also agree with Phil, playing for yourself is so important, they way I look at it is, lets say by the time I go on and there are 5 people there, thats 5 people who came to see my band (possibly) and paid to get in. They deserve to have a great show put on for them. Thats also maybe 5 people who have never seen the band before and if you blow them away, next time you come back, maybe they'll bring a few friends.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure they do, but i bet they aren't moaning about it like a big bunch of Wendy's for the most part and slagging off the scene of the town they played in.

Demoralising, yes. Worth crying your eyes out for and downing tools music-wise, no.

We all know you can have a cracking gig in front of 3 or 4 people that are actually enjoying it and a gig we wished we'd never played in front of 300-400 people who couldn't give a shit whether you were reciting baking suggestions over trad-jazz.

I totally agree with you, it is demoralising, the fact that all those people were there, and when you guys *the touring band* go on, no one sticks around. But I do also agree with Phil, playing for yourself is so important, they way I look at it is, lets say by the time I go on and there are 5 people there, thats 5 people who came to see my band (possibly) and paid to get in. They deserve to have a great show put on for them. Thats also maybe 5 people who have never seen the band before and if you blow them away, next time you come back, maybe they'll bring a few friends.

Well said. I agree 100% with this.

i bet when you guys tour, you'll *no doubt* find yourself in the situation where everyone fucks off before you play, its very fucking annoying, and when you get sick of that happening, then maybe you'll appreicate whats really being talked about in this thread hehe :p:popcorn::love:

Yeah thanks, because I just love being patronised.

Not with Cap Sant, but I have toured a couple of times. It happens and it's completely understandable for people to leave and not watch us if they haven't heard of us. Often a promoter will put on a popular local support as the headliner, to make sure folks are around for the unknown touring act. It makes alot of sense to do this if the band on tour are in town for the first time, or just haven't made a name for themselves as of yet.

Having put on shows in Leeds, it still happens. People turn up, take what they want, and then leave, which they are completely entitled to do as paying customers. The only way to battle this is to consider the running order to counteract people leaving early, but then you have the issue of coming late instead.

It happens, and it's going to happen and it's never ever ever going to stop happening. Trying to localise the problem to this gig, or even to the whole scene of the city itself is ridiculous because it happens everywhere!