aberdeen-music

Signature Changes

Neil

This will no doubt prove to be a very unpopular decision but after some long consideration I have decided to completely disable signatures for all Regular Members.

There are a number of reasons for this. Firstly, a number of members are quite frankly starting to take the piss with their signatures with regards to the size and colours of text they are using. Not only do some signatures become an eyesore on the web site but the longer signatures also considerably increase the size of the page being displayed. This is inconsiderate to those with low resolution displays and low bandwidth connections to the Internet. I simply dont have the time to contact each of these members and edit their signatures and warn them. Remember, signatures are meant to be just that - a signature. They are not meant for publishing huge lists of gigs, or filling with random crap.

However, there will be exceptions. The moderators and I will still have the ability to have signatures as will two new user groups (there will be a further announcement regarding this soon). And before you all cry about this being unfair do remember that the moderators and I donate a fair amount of our own free time to help run this web site (and in my case lots of cash as well). So it is only fair we get some perks!

As I mentioned previously, there will be two new user groups being created soon. I don't want to give too much away as yet but there will be the opportunity for those of you that simply must have a signature to get one. But you will have to give something back to the web site in order to get it. Stay tuned for more information regarding this.

With the migration to vBulletin v3.0.1 pretty much a complete success then I can march on with many planned improvements to the web site. Also keep an eye for these - they should be pretty cool.

Cool' date=' I joined a group or something, I wasn't really sure what I was doing but now i'm a "supporter"[/quote']

Yikes. You should not have been able to do that. Fixed it now though. :)

I know I'm still a newbie, but please, Neil.....don't introduce bits on the profile that get more important sounding as you post more (eg I was on a Forum where new posters started as "wax cylinders", then worked their way up to tape, vinyl, CDs etc.....I thought it was very tacky!! Another had a star system....talk about divisive.))

Guest Scott 5FD

i think it would be cool if band members could still advertise their gigs in a sig, it has the potential to be seen by a fair amount of people.

I know I'm still a newbie' date=' but please, Neil.....don't introduce bits on the profile that get more important sounding as you post more (eg I was on a Forum where new posters started as "wax cylinders", then worked their way up to tape, vinyl, CDs etc.....I thought it was very tacky!! Another had a star system....talk about divisive.))[/quote']

Yeah, user ranks are a bit naff. We tried them awhile ago but I got rid of them because they just seemed rather pointless and just gave people the excuse to pump up their post counts all the time.

For those of you concerned about gigs that were advertised in signatures then I am working on a new feature that will advertise gigs across the top of all forums and not just the home page. Mouse, your idea is also a good one that I hadn't though of before so I'll have a play around and see how feasible your idea is to implement.