aberdeen-music

Manics recording with Steve Albini!

Swingin' Ryan

isn't it the case that if he really likes your sound, and wants to work for you, he will do it for what you can afford (he's american?....liberal fag!)

I can remember a story that he came to Galsgow to record a scottish band if they paid his flights and accomodation...but that might be a twisted memory or wishful thinking.

(side note - Maple nearly had alex newport engineer / produce or LP...I'd sent him a mail, and he liked our stuff...and he asked for flights & accomodation + a grand...but we couldn't afford that)...bugger.

I honestly don't know the situation with Albini and payment and stuff. The poker forum thread might have something.

Which band in Glasgow was that?

Alex Newport is super good. The MMISL album sounds freakin' awesome.

I honestly don't know the situation with Albini and payment and stuff. The poker forum thread might have something.

Which band in Glasgow was that?

Alex Newport is super good. The MMISL album sounds freakin' awesome.

did they not ask for fans to donate for that? anybody know how much they paid in the end?

the guitars sit so nicely on top of everything... but the bass sounds amazing, been trying and failing to recreate that for a long time.

The reference to Fray Bentos pies is connected to comments Nicky Wire made about Jamie Oliver at the last Manics gig they played in Aberdeen (which I enjoyed actually). ;)

Ah right, I do actually remember that comment now, apologies.

On the new album front, apparently one of the new tunes is rather fantastically entitled 'Jackie Collin's Existential Question Time'!

I think over the past few years I can genuinely say I have become an ex-Manics fan, and this from someone who has everything they released from the UK Channel Boredom flexi to Know Your Enemy. For me, they have been pish since EMG.

Having said all that, I'd be very interested in hearing an Albini produced (sorry, recorded) return to Richey's self-disgust as self-obsession.

Personally, I think more the people who were friends with the man for about twenty years are a better judge of the most appropriate thing to do with the lyrics than anybody else. I think accusing them of using the lyrics their missing friend wrote to try and 'regain credibility' is more than slightly off.

I also can't think who they'd be trying to gain credibility from by using the lyrics. Send Away The Tigers was pretty much their most critically successful album for ten years. The people who think they're shit post-Richey aren't going to suddenly start liking them again because his lyrics are on it, and the people who never liked them anyway aren't going to even bother listening.

Desperation for what though? They're doing it as a sort of dedication to their friend due to the fact that he left them those lyrics but if they didn't have those they'd still be carrying on and making great music like they always have done. They've never lost any credibility in my eyes. Bands like the Manics don't come around very often, I feel sorry for those who don't appreciate them but that's life. I just get on with enjoying them and nearly getting crushed to death at their gigs sort of thing!

Desperation for what though? They're doing it as a sort of dedication to their friend due to the fact that he left them those lyrics but if they didn't have those they'd still be carrying on and making great music like they always have done. They've never lost any credibility in my eyes. Bands like the Manics don't come around very often, I feel sorry for those who don't appreciate them but that's life. I just get on with enjoying them and nearly getting crushed to death at their gigs sort of thing!

Why not do it just after he disappeared then? Why do you 'feel sorry' for those who don't enjoy them? There's multitudes of bands out there making better music than them these days. They've hardly been the major force in modern music have they?

You have the most non-balanced viewpoint since Swinging Ryan - speaking of whom - just because their last album received more critical acclaim than the previous ones doesn't make it a work of genius, it could be seen as marginally less shit than the other ones.

You have the most non-balanced viewpoint since Swinging Ryan - speaking of whom - just because their last album received more critical acclaim than the previous ones doesn't make it a work of genius' date=' it could be seen as marginally less shit than the other ones.[/quote']

If at any point I'd described SATT as 'a work of genius' then this would be a brilliant point. Unfortunately I did not.

I shall have another go at my point though as I'd hate to confuse. To say the Manics are trying to regain credibility is ludicrous as they don't really have anyone to 'win over'. The Manics are not going to create a whole new legion of fans at this point in their career, they managed to change the general consensus of the mainstream music media (NME etc) with their last album. They're not the kind of band that's going to have Pitchfork and 'indie-bloggers' going mad for them (although Pitchfork did actually give TIMTTMY 9.5/10), so I cannot see in any way who they'd be trying to impress or gain 'credibility' from.

You did however state that it was their most critically acclaimed album in years which is what I referred to, I never said you had declared it 'a work of genius'

Um, ok. Well I agree with you that just because an album is a bands most critically acclaimed in years, it doesn't mean it's good, I'd imagine most people with a brain would agree with that but it's good to clarify ;)

However I think Send Away The Tigers is good.

However I think Send Away The Tigers is good.

And that is your right sir. I bought it as a present for my other half, I haven't listened to the whole thing but from what I've heard it didn't make me want to listen again.

I dare say my other half will want the new one and i'll probably give it a go, i'm still not convinced as to why after all these years they have now decided to resurrect Richey lyrics and get Albini in on the act but hey ho, let's see how it pans out.

The question is, does anyone think that their label will let it out as Albini intended....

Each to their own and all that, but the Manics will always be my favourite band and they haven't disappointed me yet. Can't imagine listening to SATT and not enjoying it but there you go! JDB - Best voice in the business. Hope the No Manifestos documentary will be released on DVD at some point cos I'm itching to see it now! Always appreciated the fact that Scotland has had a fondness for them over the years, even if they did get banned from T In The Park which I still find a bit bizzarre!

The question is, does anyone think that their label will let it out as Albini intended....

That is a good question but I think Sony have always been pretty good about letting the Manics do what they want though. This is the last album on their Sony contract and they've said in interviews recently that after this they'll probably release things themselves on a smaller scale. From what I've heard this new album itself probably will not be a particularly conventional album release and they don't plan on releasing any singles from the album.