aberdeen-music

Manics recording with Steve Albini!

Swingin' Ryan

Taken from the Manics email:

A special Manics documentary entitled Shadows & Words will be broadcast on Channel 4 this weekend. Tune in at 00:10 on Saturday 16th May to watch the band talk to John Niven about the inspiration behind their new album Journal For Plague Lovers which is, of course, out on Monday.

This week's cover of the NME is dedicated to the Manics and features a six-page exclusive, including an album review.

Nicky and James talk about the album lyrics left behind by Richey Edwards and their use in Journal For Plague Lovers.

There are also unseen photos and original lyric sheets... more information here.

Here's a snippet from the album review:

"In years to come, this decade will be characterised as one of cheap and cowardly irony and obfuscation. In the realm of alternative rock Manic Street Preachers will be regarded as notable for successfully balancing sincerity and intelligence, regardless of what value those particular commodities hold at present. Journal For Plague Lovers is an outstanding album in its own right and is not The Holy Bible. But then again, what is?" NME 8/10

finally got round to listening to the album and its not bad, i like the rawness of it but nothing really stands out as memorable. they still sound like a band well past their sell by date but its a decent effort, i'll listen to a bit more.

saw them on later last week and they just looked like they were going through the motions.

I quite enjoyed the tracks but the chorus of "Peeled Apples" sounds rather a lot like classic electro pop belter "Temptation" by Heaven 17.

Still I will be buying the album anyway and hoping for the best.

Every time i listen to the album, i keep thinking that peeled apples sounds like prologue to history from the lipstick traces album.

Throws me off a little bit.

Got a 9/10 from John Earls on Teletexts Planet Sound and a nice review with it too. Nicky interview up today talking about Richey. I think the supermarkets stance is madness and shall be ripping off that sleeve covering the actual picture as soon as I get mine! Can't hear the resemblance between Peeled Apples and Prologue myself!