aberdeen-music

Manics recording with Steve Albini!

Swingin' Ryan

• 4 months later...
It's their last record with Sony so it won't really matter either way. They know us long term fans are gonna buy it and I think some of the newer fans are gonna be intrigued enough to check it out too. Someone said earlier about them not gaining newer fans now they're older but they have. A lot of younger fans out there.

To be honest, I think I speak for many of us who bought the pre-disappearance albums as and when they came out and have hordes of old singles and bootlegs when I say that we've moved on. I was a huge Manics fan for years, but finally gave up at Know Your Enemy. They just are not the same band I fell in love with as a teenager in the 90s. I don't mean that as a dig, I just think that those of us who took the Holy Bible as gospel in 94 aren't buying the records anymore. Maybe we're just old bastards these days ;)

There is of course a slight degree of interest due to the use of Richey's lyrics and Albini's involvement, but I can't honestly say it's any more than idle curiosity.

To sum up, they failed to Stay Beautiful. Or good*.

*in my opinion

To be honest, I think I speak for many of us who bought the pre-disappearance albums as and when they came out and have hordes of old singles and bootlegs when I say that we've moved on. I was a huge Manics fan for years, but finally gave up at Know Your Enemy. They just are not the same band I fell in love with as a teenager in the 90s. I don't mean that as a dig, I just think that those of us who took the Holy Bible as gospel in 94 aren't buying the records anymore. Maybe we're just old bastards these days ;)

There is of course a slight degree of interest due to the use of Richey's lyrics and Albini's involvement, but I can't honestly say it's any more than idle curiosity.

*in my opinion

Great, so I'm the exception to the rule now - I feel almost as alienated as I did when I first discovered them in 1994 :love:

Got my ticket for Wolverhampton so am chuffed to bits about that! Don't know why people beat themselves up for not being into a band anymore. Some fans come, some go, others stick with it, doesn't really matter. Everyone has different tastes. Love Peeled Apples but want to wait for the album to come out before I hear the rest of it!

*in my opinion

gotta agree with you there, i hated 'everything must go' with a passion and never really let them back into my life since although 'masses against the classes' really captured the spirit of the early years. having said that i think the new album will be worth hearing.

As some people have said before, even if Richey hadn't disappeared the sound for Everything Must Go wouldn't have been any different from what it is now. Fair enough if you prefer heavier sounding stuff but I don't have a problem with both the heavier sound of The Bible and the rock/pop of EMG. I wouldn't want 9 albums that all sounded like THB! Prefer variety myself!

• 4 weeks later...
As some people have said before, even if Richey hadn't disappeared the sound for Everything Must Go wouldn't have been any different from what it is now.

That's simply not the case. Even JDB said at the time "you know how bleak The Holy Bible was - can you imagine what the New Testament would have sounded like?".

EMG was a musical and lyrical reaction to post Richey life, not a seemless musical continuation from THB. The title track and album theme would not even have existed had Richey still been in the band.

I headed over to the Manics site to have a listen to the new stuff and was struck by the following:

Nicky's lyrics are on the whole woeful, coming across more and more like a 16 year old trying to write a Manics song.

The production could have been from anyone, nothing about the recordings sound in any way Albini to me.

The songs are gash.

Rant over! Sorry, each to their own and all that, make love not war.

Which songs are gash? The new ones are all lyrics by Richey that he left to the band! So his lyrics are 'sixth form' or whatever then? I wish people would check their facts before spouting off, no offence. I've heard Peeled Apples and love it, am holding out for the album itself when it comes out on the 18th. James might have said that about EMG but really I don't think it would have ended up too far removed from what it is now because James would have had the final say on the sound. The new album was produced by Steve Albini so it is what he has 'directed' so to speak, whether you think it sounds like his work or not. Can't wait to hear the whole of JFPL live! It is going to be awesome!