aberdeen-music

metallica minus lars at download

Untitled

METALLICA rescued their headline appearance at DOWNLOAD 2004 on Sunday (June 6) with an eleventh-hour mercy mission to fill in for sick drummer LARS ULRICH.

The legendary metal outfit's drummer was taken to hospital with an undisclosed illness just hours before the band were due to headline the rock weekender at Donington Park.

And rather than pull the show and risk a revolt from fans, they called upon their co-stars to rescue the gig, roping in Slipknot and Slayer drummers Joey Jordison and Dave Lombardo alongside one of Ulrich's long-standing drum techs. Jordison played in his Slipknot mask.

The emergency stand-in meant Metallica arrived 40 minutes late, having been practising in the backstage area until just minutes before showtime.

A statement on the bands website reads: "Word filtered through that Lars suffered a medical emergency and frankly, I don't like to ask too many questions when the boys are preparing to deliver in unusual circumstances. The CD players were out, the guys were ripping through jams and the clock was ticking.

"Before the guys went onstage their energy was high high high, and with the show having been delayed without announcement, James stepped out and filled in the crowd on what had been going on, informing them of the Lars situation and that the guys had some friends stepping up to fill in.

"Thus it was that Lombardo bashed out a brutal Battery, a crushing statement that this show was not going to do anything less than deliver. The uniqueness got even greater after Lombardo drilled out Horsemen, when Jordison appeared clad in his Slip-mask to deliver For Whom The Bell Tolls before tearing through Creeping Death and Seek and Destroy.

Otherwise, Download 2004 - the modern answer to the traditional Monsters of Rock festival on the same site was a huge success, with rock fans enjoying brilliant sunshine for the first major UK festival of the summer.

For an exclusive report on the event, see this weeks NME which is out tomorrow in London (June 8) and Wednesday nationwide.

as u can guess this heavily effected the set list which came out as

Battery w/ Dave Lombardo from Slayer

The Four Horsemen w/ Dave Lombardo from Slayer

For Whom The Bell Tolls w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

Creeping Death w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

Seek And Destroy w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

Fade To Black w/ Flemming (Lars' Drum Tech)

Wherever I May Roam w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

Last Caress w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

Sad But True w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

Nothing Else Matters w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

Enter Sandman w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

june604_14.jpg

Guest haigyman

when the wait for metallica was so long i was like "what the f...!" but then when i realised there would be funky guest drummers i thought it was kinda cool