aberdeen-music

How much do you cost?

Ithaca

A few months ago I can distincly remember having a random 'Moorings-fuelled' conversation (the kind of chat that is bought on by six pints and half a dozen jaeger-bombs) with my much better-half (my girl-friend that is; I promise I'm not schizophrenic!) about whether our set of personal morals or fears could be bent or broken by a cash figure incentive, and if so what that cash figure would be. At what price does someone with a distinct fear of spiders, hold a tarantula (can fears be overcome with something as 'simple' as a cash incentive?; are we that money-driven?). Obviously people have very different moral standards (for 50,000 a work colleague of mine stated without pause that he would fuck a dog), with some people finding certain things far less shocking than others. That same work collaegue went on to say for 1,000,000 he would fuck his sister (is that the going rate for incest these days?). All that was left for me to think about was whether or not this man had very little 'moral fibre', whether he just far more honest than most of us, or whether or not he was just full of shit and trying to provoke a reaction. Do we all really have a price?

• Upvote 1

i think it depends on what i was being asked to do. there's no amount of money in the world would make me kill someone yet for a certain amount of cash i'd probably hold a tarantula despite a definite fear of spiders.

i guess as i've always been pretty skint i think i'd rather keep my dignity and pride rather than take the money. i do pretty well on what i've got but doing something like holding a big spider is quite an interesting challenge as much as anything so i'd probably do it for quite a small sum(although the thought of it is making my whole body wince in discomfort).

has anyone done anything nasty for money that they'd like to share?

I know they're ridiculous, but I guess I was trying to convey extremes, and this particular individual gave me the most (in my mind) extreme cases. Most people I know would drink a shot of tabasco for 50 (some for even less than that!). What I was getting it is would people do 'the unthinkable' if the money was right, and can money be used as an incentive to over-come fear?

I know they're ridiculous, but I guess I was trying to convey extremes, and this particular individual gave me the most (in my mind) extreme cases. Most people I know would drink a shot of tabasco for 50 (some for even less than that!). What I was getting it is would people do 'the unthinkable' if the money was right, and can money be used as an incentive to over-come fear?

i did that for free on my 18th birthday! bad idea.

Did that whole 'chill-challenge' shit at the Moorings and took a mouthful of chilli sauce that was like nine thousand billion times stronger than a jalepeno (hot, hot!) for a free pint (fuck I'm cheap!). Ended up outside in the bin alley throwing up (why are you always sick after eating rice!). Took a whole packet of rennie before I was back on form! Apparently absinthe works well in that situation?!

i once had to drink a friends piss for like 13 quid. (Was broke, and used the money to go see my girlfriend in Ballater the next day, damn buses are so expensive)

however aaron from gilman street did wayyyyyyyyyyyy more that night for no cash at all.

picking up fresh human shit out of the toilet and holding it infront of everyone for no cash, forget tarantulas.

he also took a mouthful of urine from about 12 different people.

crazy days

After a week in a relationship dumping someone for a large amount of money wouldn't be as bad as doing the same thing to a long term partner (or would it?). Surely the moral stand point is exactly the same? I guess this thread is so based on the hypothetical, it's difficult to convey true feelings about the subject matter (it's not as though someone is going to walk up to you tomorrow with one million quid in cold hard cash and say I'll give you all this if you...). I was merely wandering if people were prepared to accept the possability of whether or not their morals or own well-being were for sale for something as unfulfilling as money?!

i once had to drink a friends piss for like 13 quid. (Was broke, and used the money to go see my girlfriend in Ballater the next day, damn buses are so expensive)

however aaron from gilman street did wayyyyyyyyyyyy more that night for no cash at all.

picking up fresh human shit out of the toilet and holding it infront of everyone for no cash, forget tarantulas.

he also took a mouthful of urine from about 12 different people.

crazy days

dude.

eurgh.

After a week in a relationship dumping someone for a large amount of money wouldn't be as bad as doing the same thing to a long term partner (or would it?). Surely the moral stand point is exactly the same? I guess this thread is so based on the hypothetical, it's difficult to convey true feelings about the subject matter (it's not as though someone is going to walk up to you tomorrow with one million quid in cold hard cash and say I'll give you all this if you...). I was merely wandering if people were prepared to accept the possability of whether or not their morals or own well-being were for sale for something as unfulfilling as money?!

Is doing something guilty, against your moral view point, not like putting too much salt in your food. Once it's done you can't take it back.

Those are my feelings, exactly. I'd never do anything to jeopardise what I already have. Money simply isn't worth it. If it was something relatively trivial that would have no impact on my relationship and career I'd certainly consider it if the money was right. Eg: Holding a turd though I would need quite a bit of cash for that.

It would have to be someone elses turd though.