aberdeen-music

Warhammer Age of Reckoning

Le Stu

It's due to be released on 18th Sept. I've notr played any of these MMOs or MMORGs or whatever the hell you call them but I might just go for this one, mainly 'cos I used to play Fantasy Roleplay a bit.

And I feel a little late to the Warcrack party. Anyone else planning on trying it?

I've tried a fair few of them over the years now - Eve, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest, Planet Side, World of Warcraft.

The only one I still play is World of Warcraft. I was quite interested in Warhammer until I realised it wasn't Warhammer 40,000 which I was hoping it would be (that's what I used to play as a kid - still love it). So I don't think I'm going to try it. Have you seen the Lord of The Rings MMORPG? It looks quite good.

Don't play any at the moment, the one I enjoyed the most was Eve but being podkilled in my very first foray into unsecure space ruined the love affair for me.

Keeping an eye out for new ones though, hoping APB turns out as good as it could be then I could be tempted to fork out a subscription again.

I've tried a fair few of them over the years now - Eve, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest, Planet Side, World of Warcraft.

The only one I still play is World of Warcraft. I was quite interested in Warhammer until I realised it wasn't Warhammer 40,000 which I was hoping it would be (that's what I used to play as a kid - still love it). So I don't think I'm going to try it. Have you seen the Lord of The Rings MMORPG? It looks quite good.

Yeah, I've heard Lord of The Rings is quite good so I'll definitely have a look at that before I choose, and WoW as I have some friends who play that. I don't even have a computer capable of playing any of them yet, so I'll have a month to check out what peeps are saying about Warhammer Online. The other new one is Conan, but there are some problems with that game, I hear.

I was more of a fan of 40K myself, also, so I'll definitely be getting the into the RTS game of that at some point. Still, Age of Reckoning has Waagh Boyz and Chaos hordes, which were always fun. I like the ye olde worlde style of The Empire as well.

wow took over my life for a long time. used to play eve quite a bit too but don't have the time to invest in it just now. don't think i'll get into any other ones unless something amazing comes out. it'd be good if they brought out a new star wars one i think as galaxies is a bit broken these days by all accounts.

Don't play any at the moment, the one I enjoyed the most was Eve but being podkilled in my very first foray into unsecure space ruined the love affair for me.

Keeping an eye out for new ones though, hoping APB turns out as good as it could be then I could be tempted to fork out a subscription again.

APB looks sick in every sense of the word!

I was thinking about Eve, but a lot of folks say it's actually quite boring and the guys who run it blatantly fix it, not that I'd ever get to a level where that would ever be an issue...

I've got a pre-order for the WAR collectors edition - I'd be playing the Open Beta right now, if I had a PC... :moody:

Happily, I can still play Warcraft on my Mac. I'm currently trying to reach the level-cap before the expansion arrives. Only 9 more levels to go :)

From what I've heard, the LOTR game looks good but is actually pretty pish. A girl here at work plays it, but will be ditching it when she reaches max-level 'cos the content is pants.

Right then... one 9GB(!) download + 45 minute install + 30 minutes of patch downloads later, I finally got WAR up and running.

It's a decent enough MMO. There's not the same level of polish as Warcraft (to be expected, I guess), but initial impressions are it's got potential to be great.

Good Bits:

* there's a proper, cohesive story-line - no running after random mosters like WoW

* It feels like Warhammer should do. It's big and it's epic. Right from the beginning you are thrown into a warzone (no "safe" n00b area).

* there's proper bad guys to fight, not just the local wildlife

* everything you do seems to have some sort of impact in the game

* Public Quests are FUN.

* RVR (pvp) actually means something!

* It doesn't try to be Warcraft, but there are enough familiar elements to get you started

* Achievements, Titles + other unlockables make the game more fun and competitive.

Bad Bits:

* There's not enough explanation of how things work. I realise I'm playing pre-release, with no manual, but some sort of eplanation as to how my Sword Master's Blade Dance (combat mechanic) works would be nice.

* Related to the above, it would be nice to know how the trade skills, Merchants, items etc work. And where's the Auction House? Flight points?

* It's not as pretty as was hyped. The graphics are good, the scenery is impressive, and I guess there's a limit on how far to push it (bandwidth?), but on max settings, vs WoW, I prefer the slightly cartoony look of Warcraft. On the other hand, it's not quite finished...

• Upvote 1

I guess there's a limit on how far to push it (bandwidth?)

Wouldn't have thought bandwidth would limit graphics capability. They won't be pushing graphics render info down the pipe, just event code mainly. All the graphics stuff should be generated client side.

Sounds interesting, but not enough for me to want to jump in. Maybe if it had been 40K I'd have been keen. I guess if this is a success then they might do a 40K MMO later on.

Wouldn't have thought bandwidth would limit graphics capability. They won't be pushing graphics render info down the pipe, just event code mainly. All the graphics stuff should be generated client side.

That's what I would have thought, but the minimum requirements posted in their FAQ a while back had something like a 256MB GeForce 8xxx series card, with DirectX 10 support - there's no way they're using anything like that much power in the areas I've seen.

I haven't fiddled with the settings (just picked the default "high performace"), so maybe there's more I can turn on. Or maybe the "big bang" stuff comes later.

It's not really a problem, just a little underwhelming compared to the hype.

From their updated FAQ section:

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

For Windows XP

2.5 GHz P4 (single core) processor or equivalent

1 Gigabyte RAM

A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

At least 15 GB of hard drive space

For Windows VISTA

2.5 GHz P4 processor or equivalent

2 Gigabyte RAM

A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

At least 15 GB of hard drive space

Supported Video Cards

ATI Radeon series

9500, 9600, 9800

X300, X600, X700, X800, X850

X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950

2400, 2600, 2900,

3650, 3850, 3870

4850, 4870

NVIDIA GeForce series

FX 5900, FX 5950

6600, 6800,

7600, 7800, 7900, 7950

8400, 8500, 8600, 8800

9400, 9500, 9600, 9800

GTX 260, GTX 280

Intel® Extreme Graphics

GMA X4500

Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slowly. Standalone cards that are installed in vanilla PCI slots (not PCIe or PCIx or AGP), such as some GeForce FX variants, will perform poorly. Integrated chipsets such as the ATI Xpress and the NVIDIA TurboCache variants will have low settings selected, but should run satisfactorily.

Recommended Audio Hardware

Sound Blaster X-Fi series sound card (Note: Requires Creative ALchemy for Windows Vista)

Please note that attempting to play the game using video hardware that isnt listed above may result in reduced performance, graphical issues or cause the game to not run at all.

The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is unsupported under Vista.